The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Just stubled on this:
    Electro Harmonix Dirt Road Special Combo – Thomann Nederland

The Electro Harmonix Dirt Road Special, a 40 watt 1x12 combo with 4 different integrated EH reverbs. Not too heavy with 13 kgs (not really lightweight either). The name suggests it' s probably more geared towards the dirty guitar tones but if it can uphold clean tones in a combo with drummer, it seems like an interesting amp!

Anyone experience with it by any chance?

Not looking for another amp btw, just thought I'd point it out ;-)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

In the early days of Electro Harmonix it's founder, Mike Mathews, already had this amp in his lineup, then called the "Freedom" amp. Back then you basically had the choice between a Pignose, this and a "Dwarf" amp when you wanted a battery-powered amp for busking.
    Re the Jazz-friendliness of this one I doubt that the low wattage, the small tranny (> light weight) and the speaker are really suitable/geared towards a clean and punchy sound. I have not tried it yet but my guess is that it's meant for different tones .....
    A Quilter head and and a simple 1x12" cab doesn't cost a lot more and will surely deliver.

User Info Menu

Well, there is a "Jazz" demo of a few bars. Listen for yourself. I won't ditch my Quilter for it.

User Info Menu

A 40W solid state in 2020...

User Info Menu

If their amps are as... ahem... "reliable" as their pedals, NO THANKS.

User Info Menu

For folks on the west side of the lake:

Access to this page has been denied.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tele3
    A 40W solid state in 2020...
    It’s very possible, if they have a good negative feedback current circuit to simulate an output transformer. My solid state Award Session BluesBaby 22 does the job with 22 watts and is just as loud as a 22W Deluxe Reverb!

User Info Menu

Interesting. Looks like EH is competing with Roland's Cube amps.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Little Jay;1028972]It’s very possible, if they have a good negative feedback /QUOTE]

"good negative feedback" is an oxymoron in the days of online buying.

User Info Menu

I had a Freedom Amp years ago. There was nothing warm or clean about it, but it was loud and funky. Larry Coryell borrowed it for a gig and it blew up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    If their amps are as... ahem... "reliable" as their pedals, NO THANKS.
    You've had problems? I got a Q tron and a Freq Analyzer that are almost 30 years old...still work great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    You've had problems? I got a Q tron and a Freq Analyzer that are almost 30 years old...still work great.
    Ha! I had a Frequency Analyzer! Great pedal. It took me years to get it, as the store owner where I worked/shopped refused to sell it to me. He said "'you will never in a million years figure out how to use it". Well, eventually his quirky approach to commerce (denigrate your products and insult your customers) resulted in a going-out-of business sale, where I scooped it up at half price. Within a half-hour of unboxing the forbidden fruit, I had two new compositions based on sum-and-difference tones. Ring Modulators are fun.
    Bonus points: later I sold my weighty accumulation of EH pedals for a ridiculou$ amount.*

* I do miss the Deluxe Memory Man and the Hot Tubes. And the Freak Mod.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    2 died (Micro Q-tron, one of the reverbs I forget which one), another was extremely noisy (Wiggler). Sent the noisy one in to EHX for service, they took my service fee and told me "that's just how noisy this pedal is". Gee thanks. And I didn't gig them- they were home use/carpet only.