The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Hi Guys,

Long time follower of this forum but posting for the first time.

I received the delivery of my Eastman t184mx yesterday.
    I love the look, how it feels in the hands, the finish is amazing. Everything screams quality.
    The only thing I can't wrap my head around is the neck angle.
    I've been playing telecasters and some other Ibanez guitars which all have flat neck angle so this looks a little weird to me.

Based on my research online neck angle on arch top guitars is a common thing but I'm still not convinced.
    Here are some images of how the neck looks.

Eastman T184MX Neck Angle?-img_3537-jpgEastman T184MX Neck Angle?-img_3564-jpgEastman T184MX Neck Angle?-img_3565-jpgEastman T184MX Neck Angle?-img_3538-jpg?

What do you think? Am I overreacting or is this a manufacturing defect or something?
    I appreciate any help or information regarding this.

Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Welcome to forum. For guitars that don't have recessed TOM bridges, a neck angle is needed. This is completely normal. Les Pauls are like this too (if you want a reference to a solid body guitar).

I have the same guitar in a blonde finish, I really enjoy it. Eastman makes great guitars. Not sure what strings they are shipping with new (I grabbed mine second hand), but I found that a set of 11-49 or something like really made the guitar come to life.

User Info Menu

Interesting where they put the strap button.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JSanta
    Welcome to forum. For guitars that don't have recessed TOM bridges, a neck angle is needed. This is completely normal. Les Pauls are like this too (if you want a reference to a solid body guitar).

I have the same guitar in a blonde finish, I really enjoy it. Eastman makes great guitars. Not sure what strings they are shipping with new (I grabbed mine second hand), but I found that a set of 11-49 or something like really made the guitar come to life.
    Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

Yes, I saw pictures of few Les Pauls and es335 and they all have similar neck angle. I guess I was fretting for no reason.
    This one came with D’Addario NYXL .010 - .046.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'll definitely give 11-49 a shot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by boyfromnorth
    Thanks for the info. Appreciate it.

Yes, I saw pictures of few Les Pauls and es335 and they all have similar neck angle. I guess I was fretting for no reason.
    This one came with D’Addario NYXL .010 - .046.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'll definitely give 11-49 a shot.
    It's not something you have experience with, and I can certainly appreciate the concern. It's a great guitar, I am sure you will enjoy it for many years.

User Info Menu

Looks no different than my es335. If it plays well I would not worry about it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wengr
    Looks no different than my es335. If it plays well I would not worry about it.
    Now I feel content.
    I thought the neck of a guitar is supposed to sit flat with the body. Fortunately I was mistaken.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JSanta
    It's not something you have experience with, and I can certainly appreciate the concern. It's a great guitar, I am sure you will enjoy it for many years.
    Thanks a lot.
    I think it already replaced by American telecaster
    I'm digging the Lollar Imperial Humbucker.

User Info Menu

Fenders were designed to be assembled quickly and cheaply by relatively unskilled labor, using standard-dimension lumber and stamped metal parts. Keeping everything flat is easier and cheaper than taking the time and effort to cut dovetails and make precise neck angles.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Fenders were designed to be assembled quickly and cheaply by relatively unskilled labor, using standard-dimension lumber and stamped metal parts. Keeping everything flat is easier and cheaper than taking the time and effort to cut dovetails and make precise neck angles.
    leo genius!!! and he made every component like that...in his amps, guitars, pups etc...great and cost effective...many players consider his guitars and amps to be the best ever...couldn't argue against that!

cheers

User Info Menu

Eastman T184MX Neck Angle?-fb41e5ab-5a86-40d0-92a3-f2bd6d311a71-jpg
    The height of the bridge + the height of the arch make it necessary to have an angled neck/fingerboard. Violins, violas, celli, basses, archtop hollow guitars and semi-hollow guitars all follow that design element. It’s actually quite lovely. Welcome and enjoy your new guitar!