The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Does anyone pull the V1 tube (preamp gain for normal channel) in a Fender BF/SF? I've got a '66 Vibrolux, heard that this would increase preamp gain, since I only use the vibrato channel. Yay, nay? Want to try it out. Thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have an early 80s VR, and I can't really hear any difference. But then I don't play with the volume at 11, so I can't say if there is a difference when turned up that loud. It's not that hard to try it, though, just pull the tube out and see how it sounds. If you don't like it, put the tube back in. Just use some care putting it back, don't use excessive force and make sure it's turned properly so that the pins go into the correct holes, it's easy to feel with practice.

User Info Menu

Yup, more gain and more volume. If you don't hear the sound change you are lucky because you probably never need to care anything about the preamp tubes for tone chasing purposes. You can also try swapping the 12ax7 for a phase inverter 12at7, which also attributes to more gain if that's what you want.

User Info Menu

I do it in a SR.

User Info Menu

I don't need more gain, nor more volume. I want pure clean with the volume at 11, but I can only stand to turn it up to 3 if the guitar volume is close to the same. 2 is usually more than enough, and I use the low gain input. I don't need to be heard clearly the next block over. Plus, I tend to use the Normal input because it's a cleaner sound and I don't care that much for the reverb or tremolo. I've experimented, but I haven't found a mod I really cared for. I just plug into the #2 input, put the tone controls near 1, and play. I do realize I'm probably not the stereotypical Fender user, though.

User Info Menu

The 2nd input is actually a low impedance input. It reduces the high frequency resonance from the output of guitar and also grounding the amount of signal more than the 1st input. So it sounds quieter, duller and flatter. Some people do prefer this effects for certain type of tones for sure.
    I'd rather use the volume and tone knobs of the guitar with the 1st input though. It doesn't do the exact same thing as using the 2nd input but I can control the tone much better. YMMV.

User Info Menu

This is something that's really easy to try yourself and is just as easy to undo, so just try it.

Danny W.

User Info Menu

Yep. I noticed a difference that I like and have kept it that way ever since in my Deluxe Reverb reissue and a blackface Tremolux