The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 36

User Info Menu

I really love how they sound and feel. Sometimes folks ask me if they’re nylons, which speaks to their mellowness. Here’s a sample of the .012 set on my Ribbecke Halfling. Strung these up 3 days ago, so they’re at that perfect time when they’re just broken in but still new and shiny sounding.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks for the tip. I'll give em a try. I really like pure nickel, not nickel coated, strings. I've been using SIT power groove pure nickels. Pretty nice, I like their flatwounds too.

User Info Menu

Wow, those are expensive!

User Info Menu

Do you find them better than the Thomastic Infelds? Anybody know how their flatwounds sound? Bobbyjr. I know you do. Are they bright or dead sounding?

User Info Menu

Pyramid Classic Nickel Strings-d94948ee-a802-46a2-b7a6-56fa64e9e7b5-jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbyjr
    Wow, those are expensive!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    I really love how they sound and feel. Sometimes folks ask me if they’re nylons, which speaks to their mellowness. Here’s a sample of the .012 set on my Ribbecke Halfling. Strung these up 3 days ago, so they’re at that perfect time when they’re just broken in but still new and shiny sounding.
    Hi M, what exactly are these strings? i have the Pyramid catalogue in front of me. I see Classic (Nylon) and Monel Classics but not Classic Nickel

I play with Pyramid Gold Nickel Flatwound 13 heavy, also round core like Thomastic Ti 13 slightly more tension than Ti '
    but less than Da Darrio Chromes 13. hex core

yes yours sound very nice.

ok i see your picture now was not there a minute ago, must been typing

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe
    Do you find them better than the Thomastic Infelds? Anybody know how their flatwounds sound? Bobbyjr. I know you do. Are they bright or dead sounding?
    I’ve never liked thomastics, they sounded dead and felt floppy to me. I know they’re popular though, so different strokes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Durban
    Hi M, what exactly are these strings? i have the Pyramid catalogue in front of me. I see Classic (Nylon) and Monel Classics but not Classic Nickel

I play with Pyramid Gold Nickel Flatwound 13 heavy, also round core like Thomastic Ti 13 slightly more tension than Ti '
    but less than Da Darrio Chromes 13. hex core

yes yours sound very nice.
    . I posted a picture upwind from here. Do you see it? These are round core strings too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    I’ve never liked thomastics, they sounded dead and felt floppy to me. I know they’re popular though, so different strokes.

i seemed to have beemn caught up in a loop, nevermind

Pyramid Flsatwound are good, they are in between Chromes and Thomastic TI tension wise, thery feel similar to Ti's Chromes being Chrome,

They have what i can only describe as harmonic content, all these hard hard to evaluate because Thomastic flatwound 13 are approx 11-12 of other brands because of the gauges, Trust me a Thomastic 13 E string is marginally lighter than most regular brand of steel 13 E string which are all the same, it is negligible the reason is they use imperial german measurements, The Pyramids are not as you describe floppy, but not nearly as much ( percieved Tension as Chromes the difference being Hex or round core. Hex more tension. I used Chrome for 20 years they changed the recipe about Guessing here 15 years back from Round to hex, apparently cheaper to manufacture .

like all of this what one players like another does not, buy a set of Pyramid Flats that way youll know.

I do use Thomastic 13 flats on my Ibanez AR2619 like J. Abercrombie played one for about 3 years with he 11's. and super low action

I use the Pyramids on my Gibson archtop seems to suit them. i did use pain monel Round wound 13 gauge took them off Fretwear and did not like therm

User Info Menu

I like ‘em floppy.

hang on....

User Info Menu

first off...nice playing!

secondly, pyramid makes some great strings...like the other major european string house-thomastik- they use top quality pure nickel...they also offer vintage style round core inners...(very few string companies do these days)

thomastik uses a very thin inner round core and a double outer wrap of pure nickel to achieve their low tension...why if you are used to 12's, you can go to 13's with thoms

pyramids are a bit more traditional, but still far different from usa made flats which are stainless steel outer wrapped (inc d'addario chromes)...pure nickel is far softer on the fingers and has less magnetic interaction with pickups for a warmer/mellower tone....but the tone doesn't diminish quickly like stainless steel strings do...going from bright to dead...pure nickel flats maintain their tone for a long
    while

to me pyramids and thoms are definitely worth the extra $$$...coming from europe

but if you want a nice pure nickel roundwound with a vintage round core on the cheap, try dr pure blues...great string and readily available and cheap in the usa...all the guitar centers and major big box outlets have them

ps- max of pyramid will also custom wind just about any string you may need & get it to you quickly...great guy...great string company

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I like ‘em floppy.

hang on....
    Oh you rascal you.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys for the great answers. I think I'm going to try a set and then make up my mind. I sort of need a floppier string because of the arthritis in my left hand. I used to use .014s and what a sound I got with those. After a while, my left hand started aching and I switched to .013 but as life is, I had to go down to .012 and I won't go lower. Damn it, I got old.

User Info Menu

I like the Pyramids, haven't had the nickel classics in a long time. Nickel round core strings are the classic sound, to my ears. I also find they work well with Kluson type tuner posts- cut the string to appropriate length, stick it all the way into the hole and bend sharply through the slot, start wrapping. That bends the string twice to lock the wrappings very effectively. Plus there is no sharp end to stick your finger or tear up your gig bag and looks nice and tidy. I don't understand why every tuner doesn't have that kind of post, it just works better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hot ford coupe
    Thanks guys for the great answers. I think I'm going to try a set and then make up my mind. I sort of need a floppier string because of the arthritis in my left hand. I used to use .014s and what a sound I got with those. After a while, my left hand started aching and I switched to .013 but as life is, I had to go down to .012 and I won't go lower. Damn it, I got old.

similar story, old age, carpal, arthritis, i also played 14's i use Pyramids 13 Flat,

**check my new post on comparison between these string bottom line you only know when you play them. i have been thro all. Thomastic are good but not a true 13 gauge set however they are balanced i think because the wound 3rd on most others is heavier than Thomastics,

User Info Menu

$11.99 per packet now, Mark. $8.99 was a while ago.

User Info Menu

Sorry, Cunamara, the Pyramid Nickel Classics are Round Core strings. You do not cut them before threading each through the tuning machine capstan, locking down the windings with a kink, and tuning them up to pitch. Then you cut them, if you choose.

Otherwise, the windings slip off, unravel, and the wound strings go dead and flurppy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    $11.99 per packet now, Mark. $8.99 was a while ago.
    . To me that’s still pretty cheap. 12 bucks is not even a movie theater ticket (precovid, anyway). I just grabbed the first screenshot I googled.

User Info Menu

pretty sure cunamara meant the fender type tuners with the hole in the post

Pyramid Classic Nickel Strings-dsc00547-1-jpg

they have to be cut first...idea with round core is you bend it first...cut it..insert and wrap...just make sure to cut the unwound/silk part...if you have to have some extra winds around the post to fit the length, than so be it...you just don't wanna cut a round core string on the windings as they can easily come apart

cheers

User Info Menu

“>>> thomastik uses a very thin inner round core and a double outer wrap of pure nickel to achieve their low tension...why if you are used to 12's, you can go to 13's with thoms“

No.

Really, no. Newtonian physics does not bend to primitive fantasy.

Thomastic sets simply use a different mix of string gauge vs. that of most other makers.

What T-I combines with a .012 high E string in the Jazz Swing sets (for example) is simply a narrower diameter set of other strings vs. what many other string manufacturers combine with a .012 high E.

This is the deep mystery as to why they are described as having “lower tension”.

Any difference based on string core vs. overall diameter would most significantly be measured as reduced inharmonicity, not lower tension. And of course this difference is very hard to measure, but arguably perceivable to some who feel they have uniquely superior perception, or imagination.

This was all known to humanity in detail roughly 300 years ago. Even the interweb does not change this.

Love the T-I Jazz Swings, despite my lack of ability to perceive the non-existent.

User Info Menu

"Newtonian physics does not bend to primitive fantasy."

Thank you, Bezoeker!

I'll borrow this, at least in part, certainly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit
    "Newtonian physics does not bend to primitive fantasy."

Thank you, Bezoeker!

I'll borrow this, at least in part, certainly.
    Well you may want to wait.

Primitive fantasists sometimes react with remarkable vigor.

User Info Menu

oh brother...the size of the inner core is the main factor in determining tension/feel/apparent stiffness of a string...

a 25 wound string with an inner core of .017 is going to have a stiffer feel than a 25 with a .012 core

just like a plain B 12 is lighter feeling than a 17!!!

and NO it's not just the gauges thomastik uses, its the design and construction of the string!!

a good read- for those that dont rail against the "interwebs" while using it for their own dogma!! bah

What's the difference between a hex core and a round core string? | Strings Direct

cheers

User Info Menu

There is a reason for the existence of wound strings vs. using plain strings for all gauges.

There is also a reason for the use by some makers of two sets (layers?) of windings vs. one.

Ironically, the use of two layers of windings can result in a string of a given gauge being denser and thus having an imperceptibly higher overall tension - not lower.

Which may seem ironic...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bezoeker

Ironically, the use of two layers of windings can result in a string of a given gauge being denser and thus having an imperceptibly higher overall tension - not lower.
    which in the thomastik case....it does not!!!..why they are lower tension...and why amongst most players here, it's generally considered that you can even go to one gauge higher i.e. from 12's to 13's when using thom jazz swings!!

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 04-28-2020 at 07:34 PM.