The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 36 of 36

User Info Menu

I believe that I understand the details of your general confusion and conflation (of hex vs. round cores worth overall string diameter, and arguable “compliance” vs. actual tension).

The T-I Jazz Swing .050 low E in the “12” set does indeed have lower tension than the D’Add’ Chromes (for example) .052 in the “12” set.

Much as a .010 high E would have a lower tension than a .012 high E - albeit the difference between .050 and .052 is less, and there are potential differences in the actual total mass of one wound starting vs. another based on structure.

So yes, many can perceive this lower tension in T-I sets, especially when applied over an entire set of strings that both happen to have the same gauge of high E string.

Look at the actual string diameters used in a T-I set of “12’s” and many other makers sets of “12’s”.

This general difference in overall tension was possibly news in the 1600’s.
    Last edited by Bezoeker; 04-28-2020 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Spelled “string” wrongly

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bezoeker
    I believe that I understand the details of your general confusion and conflation (of hex vs. round cores worth overall string diameter, and arguable “compliance” vs. actual tension).

This general difference in overall tension was possibly news in the 1600’s.
    so wonderful to have a person of your erudite intelligence lowering himself to talk about the banalities of string gauge, when obviously you could be finding the cure for coronavirus or invigorating the economy!!

use baling wire for all i care

if the inner core doesn't matter, and the type of wrap doesn't matter, nor the amount of wraps, or the width of the ribbon??...what does matter..just the guage???..phew!!

strings didnt even have guages until very recently!!! the 1960's...not the 1600's...not many electric flatwound jazzers then i suppose..hah

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 04-28-2020 at 09:07 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic

if the inner core doesn't matter, and the type of wrap doesn't matter, nor the amount of wraps, or the width of the ribbon??...what does matter..just the guage???..phew!!

strings didnt even have guages until very recently!!! the 1960's...not the 1600's...not many electric flatwound jazzers then i suppose..hah

cheers
    Well let’s get back down into low orbit and consider the details...

Yes of course the details of the string winding structure affect compliance, harmonic content, intonation, inharmonicity, string life expectancy, etc. - But these differences come from actual effects of actual metal, not flights of imagination.

The details of the winding structure do not broadly affect tension in a way that is consistent with your general quote - something along the order of “T-I 12’s feel like Chromes 11’s” and other similar observations.

Now, if we can control any hysteria, let’s take a look at the wound string gauges of the T-I JS112 and the Chromes “11’s”

T-I JS 112

G- 020
    D- 027
    A- 037
    E- 050

D’A Chromes “11”

G- 022
    D- 030
    A- 040
    E- 050

The diameters of the wound strings in the Chromes 11 set are comparable to the diameters of the T-I 12 set.

This is the mysterious reason for the remarkable tension comparison. T-I sets feel lighter because they are lighter.

>>> “strings didnt even have guages until very recently!!! the 1960's...not the 1600's...not many electric flatwound jazzers then i suppose..hah”

Actually strings always have had gauges. They were simply not as well controlled, identified, and presented in the past vs. how they are now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Sorry, Cunamara, the Pyramid Nickel Classics are Round Core strings. You do not cut them before threading each through the tuning machine capstan, locking down the windings with a kink, and tuning them up to pitch. Then you cut them, if you choose.

Otherwise, the windings slip off, unravel, and the wound strings go dead and flurppy.
    Kluson style tuners, Jabs. Cut the string, stick it down the hole, bend it a sharp right angle through the slot milled into the top of the post, bend it again at a right angle to begin winding. Locks the string, the windings will not slip. Been doing this for years. Works great. Never had a round core string go flurrpy (great word).

User Info Menu

Didn’t mean to start all this controversial over tension. Pyramid strings are great, that’s all I have to say. Now just go play.

User Info Menu

And not to contradict the esteemed Mr. Kleinhaut, who is completely correct about these strings which are indeed excellent, one point about wound strings: all of the tension of the string is carried by the core; the windings cannot carry tension because they would just be pulled apart. They add mass which slows down the string's oscillating frequency. A solid string of .052" would be just too darn stiff to be practical. Once solid strings get to .020 or thereabouts, stiffness becomes problematic; seems like that is about as heavy as most string makers go and then they switch to wound 3rds- which have enough mass while maintaining adequate flexibility.

User Info Menu

Yeah, they are still a good value at $11.99. Strings and Beyond have the Hand Polished sets for about $1.50 more per set. The Hand Polished ones have reportedly less finger squeaks for studio use. They reportedly feel somewhat like flatwounds too and are in between flats and rounds in terms of bright tonality.

I had better shut up and put my money where my mouth is by buying a few sets.

Pyramid Pure Nickel Wound Classics HAND POLISHED Round Core Electric Guitar Strings P454 Traditional 12-54

User Info Menu

Yeah, they are still a good value at $11.99. Strings and Beyond have the Hand Polished sets for about $1.50 more per set. The Hand Polished ones have reportedly less finger squeaks for studio use. They reportedly feel somewhat like flatwounds too and are in between flats and rounds in terms of bright tonality.

Pyramid Pure Nickel Wound Classics HAND POLISHED Round Core Electric Guitar Strings P454 Traditional 12-54

i didn’t know about the hand polished version. That’s very interesting. I will want to try them.

User Info Menu

I've been using the hand polished version for quite some time. Like all other strings, they seem to work well on some guitars and others not so well. I've never tried the regular version so I can not speak to how the hand polishing improves the hand squeak comparatively. I can say there is still a pretty good amount of squeak depending on you technique of course. They seem to hold up real well and for people that maybe like a little extra ring for a longer period of use, these are worth a try. They are more round than flat but still very warm. Hope that helps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    I've been using the hand polished version for quite some time. Like all other strings, they seem to work well on some guitars and others not so well. I've never tried the regular version so I can not speak to how the hand polishing improves the hand squeak comparatively. I can say there is still a pretty good amount of squeak depending on you technique of course. They seem to hold up real well and for people that maybe like a little extra ring for a longer period of use, these are worth a try. They are more round than flat but still very warm. Hope that helps.
    i just ordered a few sets of the hand polished edition so I’ll be able to string up and keep all other variables unchanged. Side by side video comparison and critique will be forthcoming.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kleinhaut
    i just ordered a few sets of the hand polished edition so I’ll be able to string up and keep all other variables unchanged. Side by side video comparison and critique will be forthcoming.
    I would be real surprised to hear a difference in a video but will be looking forward to it regardless, along with your impressions.