The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

Does anybody here know anything about this guitar? I never realized Jimmy Carter played. The inlay pattern around the sound hole looks familiar, but I can't place it.

(Please, no politics. Just guitars. House rules, ya' know.)

Jimmy Carter's guitar (no politics, please)-94689754_3220872847931406_7554609343497240576_n-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The inlay looks bit like a danelectro but I don’t think danelectro makes acoustics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Could it be a gretsch?

User Info Menu

I believe this is the builder.

Kostal Guitars | Workshop - Kostal Guitars

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Did Carter play guitar?

User Info Menu

I saw this photograph on The Fretboard Journal's Instagram feed, in which they included some words from Kostal Guitars:

Today was a pretty special day for me as my most recent guitar was officially presented to former United States President Jimmy Carter at his home in Plains, GA. I had originally hoped to be there in person, but the current situation, and our need to protect one of our national treasures, made this desire impossible. I was able to enjoy a facetime call between Mr Carter, Miss Rosalynn and myself so that I could be "present" for the experience and have the chance to speak with them.

There are so many things about this project that resonate with me... using wood from Mr Carter's farm to build the guitar and create awareness of the wood itself and its potential uses in the future, to creating something on behalf of a man that has dedicated his entire life to serving others... service to his community, to his nation, and to humanity as a whole.

Speaking with him today allowed me to experience firsthand a kind, compassionate man that still maintains his strength of character and his desire to make the world a better place. I am honored to have been able to create this guitar on behalf of Jimmy Carter the Naval Officer, Jimmy Carter the United States President, but most of all, for James Earl Carter, Jr... the man.

A special "Thank you" to all who made this happen.
    Last edited by David B; 04-25-2020 at 06:45 AM.

User Info Menu

Jimmy Carter's guitar (no politics, please)-screenshot-2020-04-25-08-37-26-jpg

Jimmy Carter's guitar (no politics, please)-screenshot-2020-04-25-08-37-41-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Did Carter play guitar?
    He's part of the Carter family, ain't he?

User Info Menu

I was trying not to say that

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Flat;1027473].

(Please, no politics. Just guitars. House rules, ya' know.).

rules are meant to be broken - Charlie Parker.

lovely photo, it always is joyful seeing old folk, with instruments or playing, just as i see Barry Harris and others something really wonderful,

Do you know if he played much guitar?

User Info Menu

This is a beautiful thread.
    I’ve always had a soft spot for President Carter (and President Reagan too). To achieve the things they’ve achieved in life really is extraordinary. What better way is there to reward an old tree farmer for a life well lived? An axe of course!
    Thanks for posting this.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

A neat man, a cool guitar, a great story.

User Info Menu

What’s amazing is that if you can find one of those guitars for sale, they can be had ....for peanuts.

I’m sorry, someone had to say it.
    Last edited by whiskey02; 04-25-2020 at 09:27 AM.

User Info Menu

"— The only instrument he ever learned to play was the ukulele (and that his wife Rosalynn, "was the best hula dancer among all the Navy wives"). "

Jimmy Carter: A Musical President | Mad About Music | WQXR

User Info Menu

Even if he gets an endorsement, his brother Billy Carter beat him to it with his beer. <showing my age> Just for fun back then I bought a 6pk for Dad and me. I do not remember how it tasted.

Billy Beer Rollout in Plains, GA. William Alton "Billy" Carter was an Stock Photo: 173918221 - Alamy

A case of beerdom's biggest bust-BILLY BEER! | Collectors Weekly

Jimmy Carter's guitar (no politics, please)-billy1-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    I believe this is the builder.

Kostal Guitars | Workshop - Kostal Guitars
    You da' man, RhythmMan! Thanks!

And I read that Jimmy is actually distant cousin of June Carter Cash.

Carter's distant cousin, the former U.S. President Jimmy Carter, became closely acquainted with Cash and Carter and maintained their friendship throughout their lifetimes. In a June1977 speech, Jimmy Carter acknowledged that June Carter was his distant cousin, with whom they shared a common ancestor.

June Carter Cash - Wikipedia

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting. Jason Kostal is a world class builder. Jimmy Carter is also the only President I have met although I met him when he was Governor of Georgia. Very decent and honorable man.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Even if he gets an endorsement, his brother Billy Carter beat him to it with his beer. <showing my age> Just for fun back then I bought a 6pk for Dad and me. I do not remember how it tasted.

Jimmy Carter's guitar (no politics, please)-billy1-jpg
    My ex-FIL bought a six-pack of BB back in the day and foolishly drank one of them. He said it was horrible. A 5-pack of BB has approximately zero collectible value.

I have met Carter on a couple of occasions. I can't give details about one of them for privacy reasons, but he was a professor at Emory University when I was there and lectured for some of our classes. His Carter Center is based out of Atlanta.

He is or at least was an avid and accomplished woodworker:

Jimmy Carter's guitar (no politics, please)-cartercabinet_8-main-jpg

Jimmy Carter's guitar (no politics, please)-9c0572746ee4528c5a2a6773f6a5e448-jpg

I won't say he was a great president, though I think he was seriously underrated. However, I have nothing but respect for his post-presidency accomplishments.

User Info Menu

I love everything about this. Thank you.