The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Every once in a while a feel like fiddling on a nylon string guitar. Like
    other interests of mine enthusiasm comes and goes. I've owned a few
    Taylor NS guitars in the past and a Martin 000C... as well as "real"
    classical guitars, not hybrid crossover instruments.

Kremona has caught my attention. Specifically this thinline model:

Rondo TL | Guitars, ukuleles, violas, violins and violoncellos Handcrafted European string instruments since 1924

Not a concert quality classical instrument, for sure, but if anyone owns
    one and finds it to be serviceable or a source of regret, I'd be happy
    to hear from you.
    Last edited by Michael Neverisky; 04-13-2020 at 10:39 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I too am always on the lookout for a nice crossover guitar, especially one with a narrower neck. I had looked at that Corona, but the neck is over 2" (52mm) wide.

User Info Menu

Oh... wrong link! Fixed to point to the TL model with 50mm nut. But not a radiused board, alas.

User Info Menu

There is Kremona (Bulgarian) and Cremona (today it is Strunal - Czech).

When I started as as kid in USSR on classical guitar both were considered 'a dream guitar' as they were the only more or less serious classical guitars available.

To my feeling both make very decent instruments, and they are still widely preseny in the market in Europe and Russia.

To my feeling Cremona (Strunal) is more based on German type of classical guitar, their guitars are typically heavier built and haver bigger neck... it is not that they worse but mostly are more 'mellow tone' than Spanish type.
    they are very cosistent in quality and model row.

Bulgarian Kremona made different types of guitars - some I tried were fine, some I did not like - their classical guitars rimended me of Spanish type guitar...

User Info Menu

I really wish I could find a thinline nylon with a narrower neck roughly 1-3/4" 44/45-ish mm. Even though I play classical/flamenco, when I play jazz bossa/latin/salsa etc, I tend to gravitate to a smaller grip like on my archtops. There are many nylon crossovers with 1-7/8" necks, but I'd love to find one just a bit thinner, closer to 1-3/4".

User Info Menu

You might want to check out the
    Cordoba line of crossover models - I‘ve been using a 12-fret cutaway model with a curved ebony fingerboard , narrow-ish neck and a Fishman Prefix pickup/mic system for about 10 years now and for the price have not found anything as nice re sound, playability and quality of workmanship. it’s got a solid top, too so the acoustic sound is quite pleasing also.

User Info Menu

Camps CW1 has 1 7/8 nut width and 25" scale length. Very easy to play.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I really wish I could find a thinline nylon with a narrower neck roughly 1-3/4" 44/45-ish mm. Even though I play classical/flamenco, when I play jazz bossa/latin/salsa etc, I tend to gravitate to a smaller grip like on my archtops. There are many nylon crossovers with 1-7/8" necks, but I'd love to find one just a bit thinner, closer to 1-3/4".
    My Yamaha NTX700 has a 1.9" nut and I think it couldn't be any narrower. Nylon strings are thicker than steel, so it's question of spacing. The Godin Multiacs range from 1.9" to 2", and from what I've seen and heard, they perform wonders in the hands of predominantly electric guitar players.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    My Yamaha NTX700 has a 1.9" nut and I think it couldn't be any narrower. Nylon strings are thicker than steel, so it's question of spacing. The Godin Multiacs range from 1.9" to 2", and from what I've seen and heard, they perform wonders in the hands of predominantly electric guitar players.
    The Yamaha "thin line" series has caught my eye, but I've haven't found
    one locally to audition. I assume you like it.

Camps appears to be rare in the USA.

User Info Menu

I've owned and played this model for a short while - it was very easy to play and the quality of workmanship is absolutely top but the guitar did not convince me re it's tone, either unplugged or via an amp. No character at all, week dynamics and the pickup system (one sensor for the bass, one for the treble strings) is quirky ... The Cordoba beats it in every aspect. YMMV

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    You might want to check out the
    Cordoba line of crossover models .
    Are you referring to the Fusion series? I heard a demo on the 14 fret on YouTube which I thought sounded good. YouTube audio qualities factored in.

User Info Menu

Correct, mine is a 12-fretter from the Fusion series. It's got nicely flamed maple sides and back - with those being plywood this is nothing to go on about, it just looks very nice

User Info Menu

Cordoba Fusion Orchestra CE arrived yesterday and, so far, it's everything I might have hoped it to be. Cedar over laminated rosewood, 12 fret cutaway which plays effortlessly. The acoustic sound is quite serviceable. Purchased used for under $500 USD.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Neverisky
    Cordoba Fusion Orchestra CE arrived yesterday and, so far, it's everything I might have hoped it to be. Cedar over laminated rosewood, 12 fret cutaway which plays effortlessly. The acoustic sound is quite serviceable. Purchased used for under $500 USD.
    Great choice. My Fusion 14 played and sounded incredibly nice. I only sold it because I wanted to find something similar with a thinline body.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Great choice. My Fusion 14 played and sounded incredibly nice. I only sold it because I wanted to find something similar with a thinline body.
    It was a challenge navigating the Cordoba catalog of new and used instruments. I thought one difference between the Fusion 12 and Orchestra was the thinline versus "normal" body depth. Or, maybe there's something thinner than the Fusion 12/14 guitars.