The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

This is a real first world problem, but I'd like to read your advice anyway.

I left my Beatles tribute band because I didn't ever see us become good enough to my standards. Instrumentally we pretty much nailed it, but vocally, man, it's impossible. Also, trying to remember random licks that I can only play in a Beatles band took up a lot of time that I'd rather spend on jazz.

I have a few guitars that I specifically bought for this band and don't see myself using for any other music. A 12 string (never liked it), a Gretsch 5420 (no jazz tone in that one), but also a pretty unique MIJ rosewood Tele from 1985, plus an Eastman SB59 with Amber Spirit of '59 humbuckers (good jazz tone though). I also have my D'Angelico Ex SS that I bought for jazz and an Eastman T64 (ES330 clone, love the playability and the tone) that I bought to use for both jazz and Beatles.

I think I'll just sell the 12-string and the Gretsch. The Fender I could sell easily, but with a guitar like that buyers will want to see the 'inside' of the guitar and all the other hassle. I could trade it for another guitar, for example a Heritage 575, or a Gibson 175, but maybe I should stick with my T64 and EX SS, because I'm still new to jazz and maybe my taste for tone will change. I even have an Eastman AR403 for which I ordered a CC PU.

You know what... here's a list (minus the ones that I'm selling for sure). You tell me which one to keep, which one to sell...

Eastman T64, stock
    Eastman 403CE, PU to be changed
    Eastman SB59, Amber spirit of '59
    Fender MIJ Rosewood tele, 1985
    D'Angelico EX SS

I like the idea of having just two or three guitars and stick with them. I love the Wes and Joe Pass tone, but none of my guitars have that tone (maybe the 403 will with the CC pickup). On the other hand, I really love the sustain and tone my EX SS gives me. It feels to me that now I have a lot of guitars which do not (yet) give me the tone I really like for jazz, maybe with exception of the T64 and EX SS.

Still with me?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I would get rid of one hollow with neck humbucker.
    I would keep Les Paul type and Tele.

U have 3 very similar guitars.
    And 2 very different.
    Like 3 hollows, LP and Tele.
    I would get rid of 1 hollow.

yes, that LP is a great sounding and playing guitar. I could string it up with some TI bebop and it would be a good backup for any high volume sessions. But I already have the EX SS for that too, with the benefit of that little bit of air.

I wouldn't miss the Tele I think. It's terribly heavy anyway.

I bought the T64 new and if I trade it, I'm losing a lot of money.

There's a Heritage 575 at my local dealer for sale now. I could get a nice deal with the tele and the T64.

Choices...

Did anyone here ever sell a couple of guitars to make things easier?

User Info Menu

In the past I kinda did like idea of having 5 similar guitars.

But now I'm drown to idea to have 2 totally different guitars.

Like HSS Alder Strat. And like EMG Mahogany 7 string. XD

User Info Menu

I am of 2 minds about this:

1) I agree with Mecena, I want each my my guitars to have it's own unique voice... and not just "kinda" different, but DIFFERENT. So, in that case, I agree with his assessment.

2) IF you can figure out which guitars you REALLY have a connection with... and I don't mean "play well", I can play just about any guitar well; I mean the ones you would REALLY miss.... then keep those, even if it ends up bing 2 similar hollowbodies. You already said you wouldn't miss the tele, so regardless if it is unique or not, move it along. I also would not be concerned with resale value/losing money... that's not in the equation if your real goal is to simplify.

User Info Menu

Joeontheguitar wrote: "Did anyone here ever sell a couple of guitars to make things easier?".

I've sold guitars in the distant past when financial circumstances required. And I would do so today if conditions warranted. In the 70's it was one guitar in and one guitar out. And that was not by choice and it was usually at the same time.
    I don't have a hard time keeping multiple guitars. And quite honestly unless there is financial or spousal pressure I don't understand the predicament. I have quite a few and some haven't been played in a couple of years. I don't lose any sleep over that situation just like I don't fret about how many hammers, saws or screwdrivers I have in my workshop.

And honestly, I'd rather hang on to a guitar than go through the hassle of selling and the BS associated with it today. Not to mention the financial hit. The guitar market was soft a month ago just wait.
    Last edited by rob taft; 03-23-2020 at 07:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Keep the tele, sell the lot. All that other stuff is easily dispensed.

User Info Menu

I would keep hollow P90, LP and Tele.
    And get rid of two left.

User Info Menu

The Tele would be difficult to replace, the others are expendable.

User Info Menu

I had a similar dilemma about 14 years ago. I was a guitar collector and had about 20 something guitars. Then came hurricane season and it was a bad one. I was lucky that no guitars were destroyed when I went through Hurricane Andrew but now I had more and not enough room to take with me and my household importants so I had to leave them. Fortunately, nothing was destroyed again but I didn't want to go through that again. I took all the guitars I wasn't playing and sold them so I could buy my 39 D'A. I also got rid of a few others I wasn't playing and bought my 18 inch Heritage made Gretsch. I still have two extra but now instead of collecting, I've been working much harder on really learning to play jazz. I don't need any more new guitars. The advice? Hold on to what you really like and get rid of those you're not really playing. The guitars that play the best are the ones that are going to take you where you want to go.

User Info Menu

My advice is get rid of ALL of those you don't REGULARLY play. Life's short, spend time playing and enjoying the music. When I did that, I felt much better. It's not like I had a lot of guitars compared to many people, but the fact that there was stuff out there collecting dust and not being played bothered me. Problem solved. I decided to follow the simple maxim to Spend our limited time and energy playing on a small # of instruments I really enjoy.

User Info Menu

While I agree the tele is the greatest electric ever made, lol.... I don't get the "a tele would be hard to replace" comments? If anything, a tele is EASY to replace... hell, you can build one out of parts by yourself! Not so an archtop (unless you have very serious lutherie skills and tools)

User Info Menu

+1. Get rid of this which you don't play a lot. Out of 5, you can get rid of 2 without a problem.
    If I had 5 guitars, I would probably play only 2 regulary.

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    While I agree the tele is the greatest electric ever made, lol.... I don't get the "a tele would be hard to replace" comments? If anything, a tele is EASY to replace... hell, you can build one out of parts by yourself! Not so an archtop (unless you have very serious lutherie skills and tools)
    Not a MIJ tele from the 80's. At least, if I want to buy it locally.

TBH, I get the best jazz tone that I like from my 'D'Angelico' EX SS on my pre owned Cube 30. It also plays great, even though I do prefer a 24.75 scale. I love the tone that I see/hear online from Gibsons ES175 and Heritage 575 and I could get one if I sell two or three guitars. On the other hand, I'm just starting out in jazz and I don't need such a high-end instrument...

The P90 T64 is so light and plays so easily, but it's not as airy as a 175 and it lacks the sustain of the EX SS.

I'll start selling the guitars that I really wouldn't miss and see what's next. I need to be patient and not rush into something new.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joeontheguitar
    I'll start selling the guitars that I really wouldn't miss and see what's next. I need to be patient and not rush into something new.
    This for sure. 100%. Take your time.... it's funny how feelings can change over a few weeks (or even a few days!) LOL

User Info Menu

I have a lot of churn in my guitar collection over the years. I did reach a point where I owned too many, including ones that barely got played, and downsized my collection to focus on just the ones I played regularly or felt were too sentimental to get rid of. Then I bought an archtop....

User Info Menu

many years ago ....
    i thought i’m gonna get into jazz now , i’ll get back my 335 from a friend ,( a nice ‘63 one with a PAF in the neck !)

well that was cool until i tried an archtop with fat flats
    i thought ok , i’ll buy a cheap
    archtop to play till i’m certain i want to carry on with Jazz ...
    bought a used ibanez af120
    for £200

still playing it !
    I never got round
    to upgrading to a 175 or whatever ‘proper’ jazz box

the cheaper jazz boxes are great these days
    even after many years , i don’t feel limited by the af120 (or my standby/spare af81 with a bare knuckles PU)

just get/keep a guitar you really like and play that a lot

(might get a looper tho)

User Info Menu

The "wealth effect" may keep people from buying many of your guitars, just now. People have gotten clobbered in this economy--loss of income, or outright loss of employment, and BIG loss of investment portfolio value. They may elect to curtail purchases of quasi-luxury items.

[I know, for us a guitar isn't a luxury--it's a necessity.]

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    The "wealth effect" may keep people from buying many of your guitars, just now. People have gotten clobbered in this economy--loss of income, or outright loss of employment, and BIG loss of investment portfolio value. They may elect to curtail purchases of quasi-luxury items.

[I know, for us a guitar isn't a luxury--it's a necessity.]
    It's definitely not a seller's market right now- despite the too-high-priced items you see all over reverb & eBay. Which is why they sit there all over Reverb & eBay.

User Info Menu

I'd keep the ones you love to play and the ones you just can't part with and get rid of the rest. Simple.

User Info Menu

The one that you like playing the least, sounds less than wonderful, or doesn't suit a need.

Thanks guys. I'm going to sell the 12-string, Gretsch and tele when the corona misery is more or less over. That LP just sounds great, the EX SS is a cheap-ish very nice sounding axe, the T64 is so incredibly light and I hope the AR403 will have a better sound with the soon to arrive CC pickup. Four guitars should do it.

User Info Menu

I think I've regretted selling every piece of gear that I've sold.

Even the silver face Twin. I couldn't move it and I don't need anything that loud, but it could keep the house on the foundation in a tornado, which is more than I can say for my Little Jazz.

User Info Menu

I am trying to downsize but every time I sell a guitar I buy an Gibson ES 175 for some reason. I am gassing over another vintage one I came across last week. I sold my Super 400 so this is what happens. If all goes well, it will the fifth Gibson ES 175 in my collection. All of them are keepers. I'm with the guy who compares it with not worrying how many screwdrivers or saws he has. All of my ES 175's are unique in themselves. I love the subtle differences. All of my saws and screwdrivers are slightly different, too.

Try not to sell a guitar unless it hasn't been out of the case for 8-12 months to prevent Guitar Seller's Regret (GSR).
    Which guitars to get rid of?-fullsizeoutput_c37-jpeg