The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I was wondering if anyone can identify the archtop guitar Chet Atkins is playing in this video. The young and obviously star-struck Leo Kottke probably places this video in the early 70’s.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Looks like a one pickup custom made L-7C.

User Info Menu

Ok; I had not thought about a custom but that makes sense. You can see the single pair of knobs but it also looks like there is a switch of some type below the bridge.

I know the Gibson Chet Atkins nylon string came out in the 80’s but he could have been having talks with them earlier.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

It's actually got two p90s on it.

User Info Menu

I found a picture of a 1950 ES-330. It does have the P90s, the single set of controls, and a selector switch on the upper bout. Chet’s is on the lower bout behind the bridge (thus the ‘modded’.

I knew the ES-330 had that long angled pickup did not know it evolved into this. Quite a beauty.

Thanks to all!

User Info Menu

It's a Gibson L7 that he bought long before the Gretsch deal. He added the first P90 himself and had the second P90 added later. It's in a book called "Chet Atkins, Me And My Guitars"

User Info Menu

This is the best I could get using cut and paste from the book.

Chet Atkins archtop-chetl7-jpg

User Info Menu

chet, with his style of playing, hated single coil pickups...even when he went to gretsch..he got rid of the dearmond dynas and pushed for filtertrons..he wanted humbucking

cheers

User Info Menu

Would the controls have been master volume, master tone, and the 3-way selector switch?

I always heard he didn’t really care for the Gretsch Country Gentleman.