The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Has anyone played an Eastman AR580?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I believe it is/was an AR503 derivative. Note the carved spruce top, ebony fingerboard, bridge, and tailpiece, and the split parallelogram inlays. I think it was supposed to be a signature model - don't remember who - but the (signature) deal fell through.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Karol
    I believe it is/was an AR503 derivative. Note the carved spruce top, ebony fingerboard, bridge, and tailpiece, and the split parallelogram inlays. I think it was supposed to be a signature model - don't remember who - but the (signature) deal fell through.
    Yep, you're right, AR503. I hadn't noticed the solid top in that description. Other searches mention it might be laminate though and a signature model for Norman Brown.

User Info Menu

I just purchased a blue Eastman 580 from Lou at Guitars n Jazz. He's setting it up with some flat 12s for me and said it should ship Monday.

Waiting is the hardest part.

User Info Menu

the AR580CE-HB (Honey Burst) and AR580CE-BLU are the two Norman Brown signature guitars. They will be available later in the year around late summer early fall. I designed this guitar with Norman, then Painted them while i was in China last October (Im the guy in the blue shirt). These are the final prototypes, and actually belong to Norman now! The signature is his request, and is inlaid in flame Maple. It looks killer. The will be identical to the photos. Specs are as follows:

AR503CE Style Guitar with some Spec changes
    Solid Hand Carved Spruce top, Laminate Flame Maple back and Sides
    Mother of Pear Split Parallelogram Inlays
    Flame Maple multi ply binding all over
    Ebony Bridge and Tailpiece
    1.71 Inch wide Nut
    These will come with a Kent Armstrong HB Stock.
    $1500 Retail
    Last edited by monkmiles; 03-07-2014 at 02:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Eastman AR580CE-HB-guitar-norman-brown-jpgEastman AR580CE-HB-guitar-norman-brown-blue-jpg

User Info Menu

To summarize the important diffs between the 503 and the 580

1) Narrower nut ( 1.71 vs 1.75" )
    2) Kent Armstrong pickup (vs the clone pickup on the 503)
    3) Marginally nicer woods (? maybe)
    4) Different finish options (Honey blonde and blue)
    5) More money for the 580.

Does anybody know if the scale length is the same?
    Given the above, IMO the 508 is preferable because of
    the wider nut, which is one of the more appealing
    features of Eastman archtops.

User Info Menu

The 503 has no inlays at all on the neck. I got mine a couple of weeks ago and LOVE it.

User Info Menu

Correct, I forgot about that.
    My friend owns one, I have just did a setup on it.

Since I have a 910, I had an opportunity to A/B the 2 guitars
    for an afernoon in a quite setting.

The pickup on the 503 is quite good, although not as good as the
    top of the line Kent Armstrong on the 910 series.

Not sure if it is the pickup, or the all wood construction,
    the 910 sounds more nuanced and complex when plugged into
    the same amp.

I think the plain black fingerboard is more elegant, and more pleasant to play.
    I have an old Japanese Hohner Lp, where the
    some of the trapezoid inlays are a bit lose. They tend to flex a bit, an pop.

I am still waiting for a lefty 503 in blue, to cross my path. :-)
    Rare as an Unicorn.

User Info Menu

Jack I think he's refering to 2 totally different style of p/ups. The 910 like my 810CE comes w/ a JS style floater. While it's a very decent sounding p/up it doesn't sound as good as a USA Kent Arrmstong floater. The other guitar mentioned has a KA trad.humbucker like your T386. And again a very good sounding stock p/up, just a different animal.

User Info Menu

Over the years, Eastman had some variations in the
    specs of the 910.

AFAIK the current stock pickup is a genuine dual coil Kent Armstrong floater.

Mine is vintage 2004, and it came with a matte black resin
    Kent Armstrong floater. This is the Pickup I was talking about.

User Info Menu

I picked up a Blue AR580CE for an incredible deal, but it has no case ... does anyone know what kind of case would fit this? Would an ES-175 case work?

User Info Menu

The guitar arrived yesterday and in great condition.

The guitar looks, sounds, and plays superb. The intonation and set up is right on the button. If this guitar had the names Gibson, Heritage, or Collings on the headstock a guitar of this quality would have cost at least 3 times as much and likely much more. Unless I'm missing something, this is a top notch instrument. It sounds so rich and the tone is so beautiful. A wonderful top end. And, speaking of beautiful, maple binding, flame maple back, and sides and neck, parallelogram markers, ebony fretboard, bound neck and headstock, great looking carved spruce top, great craftsmanship over all. Gorgeous antique, burnt orange finish. Yet the guitar is not too blingy, very tastefully done.

I do want a great American made jazz archtop guitar someday. But until, this Eastman will make me very happy. And when the time is financially right I'll purchase my American dream guitar. But I likely won't be trading my Eastman AR580CE away. It'll stay right here along side it's American made sibling. Predictably, I very highly recommend the Eastman AR580CE.
    Last edited by jumpnblues; 03-20-2020 at 02:00 PM.

User Info Menu

Pictures, man!

I haven't owned any Eastmans but have played a few in shops. Their ES-175 equivalent--AR371CE?--seemed very well-made but was a lot brighter than an older 175 I A/B'd at the same time.

I struggle with the model names though. I more or less have Gibson figured out, even their few quirks, but the alphabet soup of most manufacturers is a challenge.

User Info Menu

Glad you are happy with your new Eastman. My AR503CE is quite satisfying to play. The workmanship on these guitars is really amazing given the price point. My only complaint is an intermittent buzz from mechanical vibration in the pickup which I plan to rectify on my next string change.

User Info Menu

So Eastman has been making Archtops for quite awhile now. And if you like Benedetto thinner tops and backs type of construction and it's tone ,you should be very happy. The last couple of Eastman guitars I played were excellent!

The only caveat for me is I prefer the thicker tops and backs of a Gibson style construction Johnny Smith. So to get in that game there are no inexpensive alternatives aside from a used Campellone,Elferink,etc.
    But those are still at least $3 k and above.

User Info Menu

my first Eastman is this honeyburst ar580ce. I was looking at some full depth all solid ar8xx/9xx just to test this acclaimed brand, still wary about the made in china. they are acoustically loud but also silly prone to feedback when amplified even at low volume... then it came the opportunity with this slimmer beauty. first impression was a mixed bag. Striking finish and contour but liteness and some little details (binding filling etc..) and a very bright resonance gave me a toysh sense, do not know why. great neck and fingerboard with no buzzes or dead spot though. Bridge to sand in order to give my desired low action. it came with SD antiquity. not my cup of tea and giving unbearable vibration harming and choking the acoustic sound. Reinstalled the original KA HPAG1. honest, detailed but a little on the dull side even with the good 500k cts pots from factory.. now it sports a DMZ air classic. also, I recarved a new bridge foot to host a shaller tom with piezo.
    Now the lady offers a truly great experience.
    it plays and sounds so that you keep on playing to discover nuances. totally solid instrument with liuthery contributing top materials and craftmanship.
    lite and rigid with ebony everyehere it yields a wealth of bright and musical overtones that the dmz captures very well giving a pleasant complexity, very finger sensitive and detailed. single notes blossom out and chords show clear. acoustically it remains pleasant and acceptably loud to reharse with a singer but naturally missing that further body a full depth would contribute. it could sure improve with bronze 12th or 13th. As of now it sports a nickel 11th roundwound set.
    plugged into a full range tweeter amp it shines with acoustic resonances actually making the piezo unuseful, moreover since the addition of a push push pot to go parallel.back to series on a full valve amp, this is a truly inspiring companion for traditional and contemporary jazz creativity.
    Last edited by pcuniberti; 03-10-2021 at 09:00 PM.