The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 42

User Info Menu

can anyone tell me what is better about flatwound strings and why i keep hearing about them are they better for jazz

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

i hesitate to say anything is "better," but i will say you should just try some flats and see what you think.

i do use flatwounds, and i really like them. to me, the benefits are an overall darker tone, more comfort under my fingers (roundwounds seem to be a little rougher on my tips and particularly the undersides of fingers used for barring) and they don't squeak when sliding to change positions.

certainy, a good jazz tone could be acheived with rounds or flats--it's just player's preference.

User Info Menu

Flatwounds cut down on the "slide" sound as you move around the neck, as Mr. Beaumont says. They feel "silkier" to the fingers. But this only matters on the lower strings, as the high E, A, and G (unless over a certain thickness) are not wound. As for a wound G... depends on the gauge. In general, there is some change in tone, but not a whole lot. I like to leave flats on my archtop and rounds on my solidbody. But I play jazz on both.

User Info Menu

you'll typically get a more muted tone with flats

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bill C
    you'll typically get a more muted tone with flats
    But only on the bottom 3 strings. 4 perhaps if there is a wound G, but often not. No change on the top register.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat3rd
    But only on the bottom 3 strings. 4 perhaps if there is a wound G, but often not. No change on the top register.
    good point

User Info Menu

Anybody using them on a semi?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jbear
    Anybody using them on a semi?
    I use flats on my 335 copy (Classic '57 pickups) and it has a great tone. I only play jazz so I am not worried about string bends, which are essentially not going to happen with flatwounds. If you bend strings alot or play other styles other than jazz on your semi-hollow, then I would not recommend flat wounds. If jazz is the dominant style, then give flat wounds a try... I think you'll like what you hear!

User Info Menu

Eliminates finger squeak, darker tone on the lower strings, and less sustain. All desirable qualities when going for that traditional tone. However, there are plenty of great players who use rounds. I don't like playing jazz with rounds. YMMV

User Info Menu

I recently put flats on my Ibanez Artcore AFS75T. I put .012's on and adjusted the intonation accordingly. I love them. Smoother tone, less finger noise. I still have .009 rounds on my solid guitars and will keep them in rounds.

As I understand it, Ibanez ships the Artcores with .009's, probably because it's an easier sell to the rock/country guy and casual jazzer. The Epi's I've played in stores also have rounds.

You'll probably change gauges if you go to flats, so be sure to adjust your intonation. Changing from .009's to .011's or .012's will MESS you up if you don't.

There are also half-rounds available. You may want to try them. I haven't found them at any stores, but they can be found online starting in .010 sets.

When it comes to bending, it will be similar to bending strings on a flat-top acoustic. You won't be doing a 3-fret bend. Harder to do, more subtle, and you might even like it better.
    Last edited by woyvel; 01-19-2010 at 08:33 PM.

User Info Menu

While we are on the subject of strings, are there any recommendations as to which brand of string has better tone. - I know that is very subjective, but I am hunting around for strings for my Heritage Sweet 16. In the past I have always used Thomastiks but my local supplier went out of business.

User Info Menu

There are many choices for buying strings online. I have heard great things about Strings and Beyond. They have nice prices and Free US and Canada shipping over $35 and fast,friendly service.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nga_tom_s
    While we are on the subject of strings, are there any recommendations as to which brand of string has better tone. - I know that is very subjective, but I am hunting around for strings for my Heritage Sweet 16. In the past I have always used Thomastiks but my local supplier went out of business.
    i use what's readily available and flatwound--around me that's d'addairo chromes. i always kinda felt that if i found myself relying on a certain brand of strings to get the "magic tone," maybe i better be practicing more.

User Info Menu

I use the D'Addario Chromes, too, for the same reason -- they were easy to find. If you want to try something completely different, give the La Bella Black Nylon Tape Wounds a chance:

La Bella Electric Guitar Black Nylon Tape Flat Wound Medium 6 String, .014 - .067, 800M

A very dark sound. Expensive and hard to find, but they last forever. You'll change the plain strings before having to replace the whole set.

User Info Menu

I used to use Chromes, but had a few ball ends pop on me, so I tried TI's. I think Chromes are fine, but love TI's and wouldn't go back unless I couldn't get them anymore.

User Info Menu

I started out using D'Aquisto strings (.013's). They were very dark and sounded dead right off the bat. Then I switched to GHS set 1000. they were better but the low E string was always deader than a door nail. Finally I found .013 Chromes and they've been really good. I'll have to try some of the TI's when I can find some.

User Info Menu

thanks to everyone for all the great advice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by woyvel
    As I understand it, Ibanez ships the Artcores with .009's
    According to the manual that came with the 103, Artcores ship w/ D'Addario 10-52's. I don't know if that's only for Artcore Customs or all Artcores.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I use the D'Addario Chromes, too, for the same reason -- they were easy to find. If you want to try something completely different, give the La Bella Black Nylon Tape Wounds a chance:

La Bella Electric Guitar Black Nylon Tape Flat Wound Medium 6 String, .014 - .067, 800M

A very dark sound. Expensive and hard to find, but they last forever. You'll change the plain strings before having to replace the whole set.
    Hmm, I have a set of the D'Addario Chromes that I'm going to put on my Guild X-170, just to see what they are like. I used the LaBella Nylon Tape wound for several years, and liked them a lot, especially as I do a lot of finger style playing. The one problem I had with them was that the windings around the ball end were so thick that they wouldn't go through the hole in the tailpiece. It took a couple of days for the tailpiece to wear through and let the ball end snug up. Sort of like waiting for the nylon strings on a classical to stretch out. I'm still looking for the ideal string for my Artist Award, may go with the LaBellas, but may go with some flatwounds. It's a work in progress to balance the sound between electric and acoustic.
    Brad

User Info Menu

I had problems on the other end. The bass E is so huge (0.067!) it would barely pass through the tuner post hole. I would have to wet the silk, stretch it thinner then yank it through with pliers, like I was pulling a hippo's tooth out.

The "light" set (12-56) isn't so bad.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brad4d8
    Hmm, I have a set of the D'Addario Chromes that I'm going to put on my Guild X-170, just to see what they are like.
    Hi Brad,

I have the D'Addario Chromes (11) on my X-170 and love the tone. The tone is superior to the X-150 with the same string set. I have TI Jazz Swings (11) on my X-500 - it sounds super too. The TI Jazz Swings (12) on my X-700 sound like crap - and I'm quite dissapointed with that. I might try the Chromes on the X-700 ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by X-500
    I have the D'Addario Chromes (11) on my X-170 and love the tone. The tone is superior to the X-150 with the same string set. I have TI Jazz Swings (11) on my X-500 - it sounds super too. The TI Jazz Swings (12) on my X-700 sound like crap - and I'm quite dissapointed with that. I might try the Chromes on the X-700 ...
    Could gauge, string vibration (or lack thereof), and string harmonics have something to do with this?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by X-500
    Hi Brad,

I had some of the George Benson TIs (14s) on the X-170 for a while, liked them, went to a lighter string when I got my Artist Award. I'd be interested in what you wind up with on the X-700 as they would probably be good on the AA as well. I went to the lighter strings on the X-170 because I'm planning on adding a Bigsby and setting it up for rockabilly sort of stuff.
    Brad

User Info Menu

Last week, I put GHS Pat Martino 15-52 flats with a wound G on my Sadowsky Jimmy Bruno, and they're great. Now I'm getting that sweet dark tone I've been seeking. They are heavier on top and lighter on the bottom than the D'Addario rounds I had on there before, so the high strings are mellower, too. Got them at JustStrings.com.

User Info Menu

I put Thomastic-Infeld Jazz Swing 12 to 50 flatwounds on my 345 alike and I'm very pleased with them. I find they're still sweetly effective for blues as well which I'd thought might not be the case. For Jazz they're lovely

This guitar: