The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

My favorite practice amp is my Roland Cube 30. I like the sound, it has an AUX in and can be used with headphones. However, sometimes I have to play somewhere else because there's other things going on in my living room. I'm a bit lazy and I don't want to unplug the Cube, lug it somewhere else...you get the point.

I have a Vox headphone amp thing, but to be honest, it sucks. You can't see the controls while playing guitar and the wheels move all the time.

I have checked out the Palmer Pocket amp, which seems OK for what I want. Or I could get a second (very small) amp like the LJ. Or I could get a Headrush gig board, Hotone Ampero (with lots of other cool features) that I can take anywhere...AUX and phones out are a must. I play with backing tracks/online lessons all the time.

Anyone with good ideas?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

For silent practicing I use a Tascam Guitar Trainer. I can play along with CDs and adjust the volume balance of playback and guitar.

Anybody here use a pocket amp/headrush gig board for easy practice?-unnamed-jpg

User Info Menu

I’ve got one of these, this is an old model now. Does the job quite well, can dial in a decent jazz sound and has aux input.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/32397858443...SABEgK4pvD_BwE

User Info Menu

Phil Jones Bass Bighead headphone amp - runs off rechargeable lithium battery, vol/gain/eq, aux input, sounds great through good headphones.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    For silent practicing I use a Tascam Guitar Trainer. I can play along with CDs and adjust the volume balance of playback and guitar.

Anybody here use a pocket amp/headrush gig board for easy practice?-unnamed-jpg
    Still have mine! It’s in a box somewhere in storage. I’ll never get rid of it - best practice tool until slow down software became so prevalent.

Also - I have not tried this new Boss unit but it looks like it would meet your needs (however pricey)...

Wow, that Boss thing looks nice, but pricey indeed.

User Info Menu

Several weeks ago a similar question was posed. One of the respondents recommended the Zoom G1 FOUR. I don't own one {yet} myself but it looks like a pretty slick device. It has both an AUX input and headphone output and sells for about $80 US. Good luck in your search.

Here's a link to the Zoom website:
    Zoom G1 FOUR / G1X FOUR Guitar Multi-Effects Processors | Zoom

Cary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joeontheguitar
    My favorite practice amp is my Roland Cube 30. I like the sound, it has an AUX in and can be used with headphones. However, sometimes I have to play somewhere else because there's other things going on in my living room. I'm a bit lazy and I don't want to unplug the Cube, lug it somewhere else...you get the point.

I have a Vox headphone amp thing, but to be honest, it sucks. You can't see the controls while playing guitar and the wheels move all the time.

I have checked out the Palmer Pocket amp, which seems OK for what I want. Or I could get a second (very small) amp like the LJ. Or I could get a Headrush gig board, Hotone Ampero (with lots of other cool features) that I can take anywhere...AUX and phones out are a must. I play with backing tracks/online lessons all the time.

Anyone with good ideas?
    Roland MicroCube. Sounds good, weighs nothing, has a headphone out and aux in, runs on batteries.

John

User Info Menu

I just use an iRig, connected to my iPhone and use Garageband..

pretty good for practicing late at night.. and have plenty of Amp sims in garageband too..

if I need to plug in my pedal board, I can, but I reserve pedal tweaking through my tube amp..

User Info Menu

If laziness is the priority, i'd just get more little amps and sprinkle them around the house. anything rude would require more time, money and effort, unless you really want to upgrade for those extra features.

I've done plug ins with my computer and pedals into a cab m with decent results, but neither are as simple and straightforward as an amp. Iridium might be worth a look but I don't think it has the connectivity you need.

User Info Menu

An iRig (still have the old model) and AmpKit (free) on my iPhone:

Convenient for silent practicing on any location, especially using earbuds that close your ear for background noises. It’s still funny to see people’s looks when I take out my Aria Sinsonido in the plane and start practicing..... ;-)

I think I'm going to get a DV Mark LJ. It's small enough to take anywhere and I can use an extra amp for that. I can hook it up in some other room with all cables ready to play, so the effort is minimal.

User Info Menu

I have an old Korg Pandora. It's kinda fun, but I hardly ever use it.

User Info Menu

I am using my Vox MV50 AC right now with headphones. Sounds great and is literally palm-sized.
    https://voxamps.com/wp-content/uploa..._OM_EFGSJ1.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by P.J.
    I am using my Vox MV50 AC right now with headphones. Sounds great and is literally palm-sized.
    https://voxamps.com/wp-content/uploa..._OM_EFGSJ1.pdf
    I checked it out, but it looks like it doesn't have an AUX in.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pcjazz
    Phil Jones Bass Bighead headphone amp - runs off rechargeable lithium battery, vol/gain/eq, aux input, sounds great through good headphones.
    +1 on this. It's super high quality, durable, nice tone, and avoids any smart phone distractions or weird sounds.