The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

I came across it occasionally - I have a good shop nearby where I am sitting during lunchtime and trying guitars... it is really good shop, the one that guitar shopd should be, sales people are like friends, guitars are well setup, lifetime free service and warranty and all...
    When I said once that the basses sound dull a bit , they just got a pack of D'Addario and changed strinfs right there to check how it will work with new ones.
    But the best thing they always have Martins, Taylors, Matons and other intersting guitars... you can try them all day and even jam with sales people when they are not so many visitors.

A couple of days ago I tried this Martin 00016-GT, it is new, though this model is discontinued already now.
    I like Martin guitars in genral, but that was something special for me, balance, tone, playability, controlability... the price is quite high - but consifering where I am and conditions it is reasonable, the shop has 30 days complete return policy so I am planning to pick it up anyway.

My doubt is there is no 000-18, or OM at the moment so I cannot compare.. I know bothe these models are more expensive but it is not the money talk....

000-16 has 'Richlite' fretboard and bridge as I see from specs (though I would not guess it really)... it is a bit disaapointing as you expect they could use real wood on a guitar a bit under usd2 000.

Martin consieurs - what do you think... should I wait (god knows how long) to try 000-18 or OM... or take my chance as long as I love the guitar.
    Those guitars are not easy to sell so if I get it it should be a keepre for quite a long while...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The 16 series are fine mid-range guitars - I have the 12 string jumbo version and am delighted with the sound. Don't get hung up on richlite... how does it feel when you play it? I can feel little or no difference between this fretboard and more traditional woods on my other instruments (except ebony on a couple of my vintage Ibanezes). However YMMV.... If it feels good in your hands, that's what matters
    Sure, it will resell for less than an 18, but I assume the purchase price reflects this - otherwise, haggle. If you want a collection/trading piece, by all means wait for an 18, but if you want a high level player's instrument, I think they are great.
    Ray

Thanks, Ray175,

vey reasonable...

As I said I tried quite a few other guitars (some were much more expensive) - and it was the first time I felt really comfortable with a guitar lamost immidiately. It feels fine and I would not even think about it if I did not look into specs.

Thanks again

User Info Menu

I have a used one that I like a lot. It is very comfortable to play, the neck is perfect and the Richlite (Martin calls it “Micarta”. They probably think it makes it sound like an exotic tone wood) feels and looks fine. I think this guitar was ordered by a local music shop that caters to the students from the UWM fingerstyle guitar program. Somewhere along the line, it was fitted with a K & K pickup system, and it sounds really natural and full when amplified, but it’s also loud and responsive when played acoustically. Overall, it’s a great instrument. I’m attaching a pic along with the specs that Martin sent me.

Question about Martin Guitar 00016-GT-f33e53be-4351-4014-ad1a-a0d952f0a22f-jpgQuestion about Martin Guitar 00016-GT-ef812746-1c67-4b5a-bb5a-fc7a6a3f2e20-jpgQuestion about Martin Guitar 00016-GT-b27b2222-41a0-4df6-a126-55e16d119fd5-jpgQuestion about Martin Guitar 00016-GT-20cc8bed-7bc5-4741-a138-02862e7b3855-jpg

User Info Menu

That is some stunning spruce.

Speaking about amplification... there was Maton EBG808... it was about the same price as 00016-GT and had some similar features - very well balanced readable sound in chords, nice resonance... and quite similar feel when you hold... but still it lacked some colour nuances and subtlty of tone.

But it sounds terrific amplified, if I needed to play amplified I would go for it but all in Martin was really made as a real acoustic guitar and that Maton as an acoustic that is supposed to be amplified.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M.
    . . . Richlite (Martin calls it “Micarta”. They probably think it makes it sound like an exotic tone wood) feels and looks fine.
    The manufacturer, Norplex-Micarta, calls it Micarta. Gibson calls it Richlite.

Formica (kitchen countertops) came out of Westinghouse at the same time and apparently uses a similar process and materials. It's a fair guess that Henry thought guitarists would more readily accept a "Richlite" fingerboard than a kitchen countertop board.

It's safe to say that thousands of Gibson and Martin customers have laid to rest any question about Micarta's suitability as a fingerboard material.

The question I have never seen answered is whether Micarta lasts through several refrets as well as ebony.

User Info Menu

Let me join the chorus : Micarta, you will find, is a non-issue. It compares favorably to the ebony on my LP Custom, and other guitars I have had. In a week you'll have forgotten it was ever a concern. Play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    That is some stunning spruce.
    Thanks! It has a lot of silk. I’m a sucker for that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    As I said I tried quite a few other guitars (some were much more expensive) - and it was the first time I felt really comfortable with a guitar amost immidiately.
    I think you've answered your own question.

If you love the feel and sound why wait? Otherwise it will always be 'the one that got away'. I had a 00016 from the mid 80s that sounded and played better than any 00018 I've heard. Each guitar is different... choose with your ears and hands. I only sold it (to a good friend) because at the time there was no other way to fund my Shelley Park. I recently offered to buy it back but he said he'd put it in his will for me. At least I get to play it once in awhile and it still sounds fabulous.

I got it yesterday)
    Thank you all for answers!

So far it is the best acoustic steel-string guitar I ever had, not just the tone but the balance, controllabilty, potential and complexity in musical sense.

The shop policy is great...
    30 days return, lifetime service and full repair guarantee for any kind of damage..
    Last edited by Jonah; 03-13-2020 at 04:04 AM.

User Info Menu

Congratulations! It's a very nice instrument and it's great to do business with an honest shop.

User Info Menu

Great news
    enjoy!

Good and a bit sad story)))

I bought me Martin at relatively high price... it was retail for imported new guitar, with good warranty and service, the price is deserved... and there are not so many used Martins here.
    Whe you buy like that you do not think of selling it over, you just think you keep it.

the store has 30 days return policy - yesterday it was the plast day.

With this Covid19 situation my job is relatively stable and my position is quite strong professionally, nevertheless I have a family and kids and I felt a bit nervous... . and a few times it came to me it is not the best idea right now to buy an expensive guitar.
    I though about returning it... but then I closed my eyse and realized that it has almost never been that I had a pleasure of playing particular instrumen not just because it provides pitches, but becasue it IS the instrument.
    Only one of my once owned lutes had similar qualities.

When it was the last I took it out of the case and began to play again to take final decision, during this period I tried to careful with it to keep it in good condition, --- suddely I heard a strange sound, I turned around and so that the lock on the case (that was on the sofa) was open and I scretched the'glossy top' a little.

My wife looked at me: Looks like guitar really wants to stay?

So the question was solved.

Now.. I am a practical guy and do not care much about worn-outs and scratcjes.. but it is almost new so if there is possibility I would like to try to polish it myself (my store can do it for free but the service is closed for a few months because of the virus).
    I checked the net but still maybe any practical advise? It is about 2 cm long.. it is deeper that regular occasional scatches on the surface of used guitar but it does not touch the wood as I can see it.
    Last edited by Jonah; 04-14-2020 at 02:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Congratulations on your new Martin. I had a 12-string gloss top that was quite similar to your guitar. It will give you a lifetime of enjoyment.

Not sure if you can get this product shipped to your location but it works very well on removing light scratches.

ColorTone Clean + Shine with Scratch Remover - Set of 2, 8-oz. | stewmac.com

User Info Menu

Congrats on your Martin 000 16GT. Sorry about the scratch and hope you'll be able to buff it out. If not, then just enjoy the guitar.

I bought the exact guitar new several years ago from a small shop. I looked at that instrument each time I visited the store, until finally purchasing it. Not only did it sound and play great acoustically and amplified, it recorded very well. After many years with it, I sold it to my best friend, who swears it is the best acoustic he's ever played, and the best deal ever. Fortunately, I have visitation rights when we get together for a jam. Enjoy!

User Info Menu

I know how you feel. I had a pristine Yamaha 12-string and bumped it into door handle. Ouch! Apart from street credibility, the argument for the "aged" or "road worn" electrics is "somebody has to make the first scratch." Selling scratched and dented acoustics at a premium price hasn't taken off yet, but may. Play in good health!

By the way - anyone had issues with the smell of new Martins?
    I thought it was glue but then I realised that it was some vanilla flavoring.
    And it comes out form the case...

First I did not mibd and even liked it but eventually I realized that it caused some allergic reaction (I am not at all allergic in general)... itchy eyse, coarse throat.. not critical but annoying...
    I did not get it was guitar at the beginning...
    First I kept it in the case but now it is on the stand and I hope it will go away (I put the case outside open too while the weather allows to do it.

Did anyone have this issue too?