The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi all,

I recently got ahold of the Glarry GST3, which has been making the rounds lately on the internet just for being incredibly cheap. I've had a mostly good experience with mine, as long as you keep in mind the fact that it only costs $70. It doesn't stay in tune though. Like, not at all. The truss rod and all the other moving parts work though so with a good setup you can get half-decent tone out of it.

Anyway, I made a video with some playing samples:

Have a good weekend everyone.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have seen and listened to countless demos of guitars and equipment and am almost always disappointed not by the gear but by the player, their playing simply inadequate to reveal a damn thing about the gear. So wonderful to hear someone that plays really well and knows what they're doing with the instrument!

My guess is that as a very inexpensive instrument it was set up with light strings and a low action for the beginners market. I think if you tighten it up with a little more action and thicker strings it will hold tune and intonation fine. Are there five springs between the claw and the bridge block? That helps tuning stability... and so does playing it in for a few months making little adjustments each string change.

It sounds nice, no background buzz or hum. It does have that characteristic new guitar "more string than body" sound, but boosting the string gauge, raising the action, and lowering the pickups may turn that completely around.

I mention the adjustments for others' sake; I'm certain by the way you play you know all about them and more. I'd really like to hear you do this again in a month or so after you've had the opportunity to explore some adjustments and discuss which ones improved the guitar!

User Info Menu

That sounds really good!
    Can you tell me about your Supro amp? What model, speaker, watts etc.

User Info Menu

haha...a 70$ strat through thousands of $$$$ of top gear...shimmer...of course it sounds good..and with your fine playing per usual

there's a lot of tricks to settin up a strat...esp to keep it in tune...its all about the bridge and trem unit..claws and springs...fine adjustments..also keeping the nut slots smooth and the string trees...lotsa parts..but havin a cheapie is a good way to learn...

i've set up 99$ squiers that i liked better than some vintage strats!! so stick with it

have fun

cheers

User Info Menu

My Yamaha Pacifica 012, which sells for only a little more, stays in tune all day. I have the tailpiece locked down, but, even when I didn't, it stayed in tune much better than my MIA Fender Am. Std. The Fender sounds a little better, I think, but the neck feels much better to me on the Yamaha. I like a small neck and the Yamaha's neck is tiny.