The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 34

User Info Menu

Opinions on this seller and model? I'm considering getting it.

Fender D'Aquisto Elite 1985 Tea burst | Reverb

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I had one for 18 years, great guitar, but that price is insane. Removing the 2 would be more realistic.

User Info Menu

I happened upon that one by accident and remembered I heard a guy play it and really liked the sound, A LOT. After reading your comment, I found a few less expensive models. What advice do you have for me when looking for a good one?

I just found this one Fender Elite by D'Aquisto 1985 Blonde | Reverb

User Info Menu

Removing the 2 is a silly thing to say, lowering it to a 1 is not at all out of line. I wouldn't mind owning it.

I have a standard 2 pup model, a beautifully made and excellent sounding / playing git.

I'd say mine is more between a 575 and 175.

It's one "fault" (not for me) would be for modders that cannot restrain themselves from diddling with it, the pups are unique, not form / fit compatible with anything else.

User Info Menu

I just made a low offer on the blonde. They probably won't accept it, but I really don't want to spend the money... so I'll see what happens.

User Info Menu

Thirty years ago, I had just assumed these were not "real" enough and did not pay attention (was young & dumb and had my L7 and could not believe in a serious archtop from Fender, who was marketing acoustics with bolted necks.)

Today I see from your Reverb link these were 16", and look really good to me. I regret not seeking one out while they were in production, to at least have had first-hand experience.

I still have my 1985 Fender "Service Manual" that shows parts details, here's a quick picture of the Masterseries Ultra version page:
    Fender D'Aquisto Elite-fendermasterseriesda-jpg

There was also a Masterseries Standard D'Aquisto with 2 pickups, but my book did not have that single PU "Elite" you are considering. Of course today I wish I had ordered some of those ebony tailpieces back when I was doing repairs. Those parts were already missing in the 1986 price list book, so I can't be sure I could have obtained them.

edited to add:
    I see while I was posting you had gitrman + GNAPPI already vouch for the model, good to hear positive reviews on these, thanks for sharing!

John
    Last edited by john_a; 11-21-2016 at 10:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for that. Really cool. The seller and I are going back and forth right now for the Blonde. He's come close to my price, but I won't budge from it; this was a spur of the moment thing to make the offer. We are $150 apart.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eh6794
    The seller and I are going back and forth right now for the Blonde.
    That Blonde looks sharp! I think even with the bespoke pickup shape, a different humbucker could get set in place with a custom hardwood mounting ring to fit the existing screw holes.

John

User Info Menu

I believe Jimmy passed away in his hotel room while at a meeting in Corona.
    Those guitars were finally making him some money.
    A great one taken from us too soon.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

A made for Japan Black Elite with a regular Gibson-style humbucker sold for $1700 in For Sale.

On ebay, I have seen Tea Bursts in similar condition to that Tea Burst sell for $1695 to $1795.

The Blondie Elite looks like New Old Stock. It might be the photography. That might tempt me to go $100 higher to $1895.

Great guitar. They were streeting for $900 new way back when.

The double pup Standard transacts at about $1395.

User Info Menu

I stopped at $1900 and he was at $2050. I'll wait for the right deal.

User Info Menu

This guitar looks unplayed with all the case candy. I think $1900 is certainly a fair price. It's not far from facts provided by Jabs for an Elite.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eh6794
    I stopped at $1900 and he was at $2050. I'll wait for the right deal.
    Meet him halfway. I think it is worth $1975 in that condition. Split shipping. OK, $2000 even shipped.

User Info Menu

I own one with the original high output Schaller pick up since the early 90´s. It´s meant to be played electric. D`Aquisto explains he prefers laminate vs solid wood and a thicker lacquer on guitars that are meant to be played electric because you get less feedback. I have a Fender Squier Strat (mid 80´s) from the same factory in Japan with similar neck and both play and feel great.

User Info Menu

I would never buy one of those with the original pickup replaced. Just a thought. It was designed with that unit, and is unique and special the way it was offered stock.

I played one only once in a store, and was really impressed with it.

User Info Menu

The seller officially declined my $1,900. I'll wait a few weeks and if it doesn't sell, I'll go back and offer his $2,050. Someone brought up the fact that it is probably mostly unused. Otherwise I'll keep my peepers open for another one; I prefer Tea over blonde.

If anyone here is interested, he countered $2,050, so you could get it for that or better if you want it.

User Info Menu

If I may - -

Not sure about the original P/U having been replaced, but my 2 cents worth is:

Do not let that get away for a hundred bucks ! I don't know how many blondes they made but there aren't exactly a boatload of sb's around either...

Or put another way - -you may very well be wrong by that hundred bucks, but you're absolutely correct for the first $1900....Not a bad percentage at all !!

And you paid what it took to take it off the market.......

And oh yeah - - -it's a blonde !!

Just MHO and good luck !!

User Info Menu

I owned a Fender Flame Elite (solid body) with similar sized Schaller pickups. I myself found them flat and lifeless but rather than modify the guitar, I removed the pickups and sent them off to Kent Armstrong for replacement magnets and a new rewind. I was quite pleased with the results and I didn't have to alter the guitar in any manner. Which was the idea as I ended up selling it shortly thereafter to pay for my GBAA.

User Info Menu

As my GAS winds down** I am drawn to stuff from the 80s and 90s that worked.

This circa 1984 Fender D'Aquisto Elite is a prime example. I've been enjoying it. A lot. More than I had expected to.

It's a far cry from the handmade archtop masterworks which we associate with James D'Aquisto. However, the Elite -- this instrument -- is a clear echo of the plywood "Jazz" model which The Maestro built for players (like Jim Hall) who wanted a sturdy, sonically-inspiring tool for work.

The obvious comparison for the FD'A line is Gibson's ES-175. Although each has a 16" ply body, a 24.75" scale and humbucker pickup(s), Jimmy's choices for the F'DA are subtly different. The FD'A is thinner, 2.75" at the rims. The Elite has a spruce-ply top -- I'm not going to tell you that's a gigantic sonic change, but if you say you can hear a difference from maple I won't argue. We can hear a difference from the ebony bridge, and it's full-contact rather than footed. The FD'A's pickup is directly off the fingerboard, not gapped like on a 175. The fingerboard extension is glued-down to the 19th fret, more like a Gibson Johnny Smith than like the floating extension on the 175. And for trim, there are an ebony fingerboard, tailpiece and knobs, and those, ah, unique hybrid D'Aquisto / Fendoid tone-holes. Each point may be small but they add up to a guitar with a woody, jazzy sound.

But yes, this is an electric archtop. The FD'A line wore medium-high output Schaller humbuckers; this one is around 9300 Ohms. Medium-hot coils often mean a slight treble roll-off and a lower resonant frequency. (I don't have the tools to evaluate that scientifically so take it for what it's worth.) What I can tell you with a grin is that, having dropped the pickup height a bit below where I would place a regular 8k humbucker, the Schaller delivers a really attractive, nuanced note with complex low-mids and nice separation on chords. I'm hangin' with the factory setup here.

In short, the FD'A Elite brings me to a happy place gear-wise, with inspiring (if offbeat) instruments that I'm not afraid to bring around. It's possible that I'm settled-in for a while. Here's the obligatory couch shot. The theme, obviously: "No Normal Guitars!"

User Info Menu

Sam,
    Congratulations! I've thought about that guitar for a long time. I always felt like the Fender D'Aquisto from this era is a very important guitar because it gave Jimmy some financial freedom. Ronaldo told me, that "The Kid" made a good living from the Fender deal, which was so well deserved. So to me, these guitars have a very important place in history.
    It is beautiful. Enjoy it and thanks for sharing.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

I owned that guitar's twin for 18 years and pretty much wore it out. Would love to have another.
    Enjoy!

User Info Menu

I heard a guy last summer play a Fender D'Aquisto through a twin and sound as good as I've ever heard a guitar sound.

Is there more than one model of D'aquisto by Fender?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    Is there more than one model of D'aquisto by Fender?
    The Standard -- maple ply, rosewood board and trim, dots, 2x Schallers:

The very rare and costly Fender D'Aquisto Ultra. All solid wood, hand-carved in CA by Steven Stern (the only builder I've heard of who worked directly under both Jimmy D'Aquisto and Bob Bendetto):

User Info Menu

when i was at north texas in the 80s a kid down the hall from me had one of those, and i loved that guitar, i hope to find one at a good price one day... enjoy yours

User Info Menu

Hi from Germany,
    I own a El Rey and thinking about buying a Fender DA Elite, but can't test it before. How would you describe the tonal differences? And Playabilty?
    Thanks
    Tim