Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 61 of 61

User Info Menu

I only paid £400 for my Gibson 175.

But it was back in 1982!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A student I didn't know, came into my classroom and gave me her BF's Mex Strat, little Marshall amp and a guitar stand for free. I didn't ask any questions...
    I bought an AI Corus combo from some starving Berklee grads for $420 on Craig's List
    I got a Redstone 10" for $125 at a store.
    I got a Boss DB-90 for $30 on Ebay.

I used to work for a jerky big band leader a long time ago, who was waxing an old woman's floor, and he happened to notice a big, blonde L-5 wasting away in a corner somewhere. She said she wanted to get rid of it, and he gave her $150 for it.
    He had an ugly daughter that looked like him, and said he'd give me the L-5 if I married his ugly daughter. I decided that even an L-5 wasn't worth waking up every morning to a chick with his stupid face on her.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    A student I didn't know, came into my classroom and gave me her BF's Mex Strat, little Marshall amp and a guitar stand for free. I didn't ask any questions...
    I bought an AI Corus combo from some starving Berklee grads for $420 on Craig's List
    I got a Redstone 10" for $125 at a store.
    I got a Boss DB-90 for $30 on Ebay.

I used to work for a jerky big band leader a long time ago, who was waxing an old woman's floor, and he happened to notice a big, blonde L-5 wasting away in a corner somewhere. She said she wanted to get rid of it, and he gave her $150 for it.
    He had an ugly daughter that looked like him, and said he'd give me the L-5 if I married his ugly daughter. I decided that even an L-5 wasn't worth waking up every morning to a chick with his stupid face on her.
    Your story reads like lyrics from a John Lee Hooker blues song.

User Info Menu

I think my best deal ever was buying a Campellone Special from Mark. His guitars are a bargain.
    Keith
    What's the best guitar deal you've ever gotten?-c403576d-5694-4748-af14-f191443aa8a0-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I only paid £400 for my Gibson 175.

But it was back in 1982!
    I paid about $900 for mine in 1982. As I recall the exchange rate was about 2.5 to 1 back then, so that would make sense. Wish I hadn’t sold it for $500 a couple of years later.

User Info Menu

My 'best deal' happened a week ago. Here's an edit of what I wrote about it on my Facebook page:

For jazz the classic archtop guitar has many advantages. So a few weeks ago I checked-out archtop guitars online. The least-expensive current model which suited my needs costs about $700. Build-your-own kits from Asia are available for $200. Two bills is still too much for my budget. So I quit thinking about it. Thought "I got decent guitars--go with what ya got."

Last saturday while bicycling around town I decided to pop into a local antiques emporium to visit a fave painter, whose studio is on the top floor. I walked in the joint and the first thing I saw was an old guitar.

An old archtop guitar. I looked it over. Strings two inches off the fingerboard. The neck had come loose from the end-block--but aha!--I know how to do neck re-sets. I looked at the pricetag. $40. Forty bucks fits my budget. Sold!

A few days later the repairs were finished. I strung it up with Martin's 'Magnifico' hard-tension classical guitar strings, used for the tone and feel--i wanted mellow, not quite as bright and cutting, plus i really LOVE them; I use them on my other nylon-string guitars.
    a

So I began to play--and played non-stop until 5 am.

Thank you, O Universe! Moral of the story: sometimes when we quit craving something, but really could use it, it shows up all by itself. Have a little faith etc.

My new ancient guitar: a circa late 1940's-1950's Kay archtop guitar. Built in Chicago, Illinois, USA, Planet Earth, using old-time good stuff: hide glue, good woods, Kluson gears, Brazilian rosewood fingerboard, lovely sunburst lacquer finish.

You can see and hear it here:

User Info Menu

I picked up an Eastman 371 for $300 last summer. Several years ago, I picked up a Composite Acoustics GX for $180.00!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Don’t think I’d have been able to afford a nice 175 without the CME deal. I am grateful to the forum for educating me about 175s, giving me the GAS to get one, then letting me know about the deal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TedBPhx
    Don’t think I’d have been able to afford a nice 175 without the CME deal. I am grateful to the forum for educating me about 175s, giving me the GAS to get one, then letting me know about the deal.
    +1

I got two incredible ES-175's from the CME blowout (A 59 reissue and a Figured ) at an incredible price. Still have them and in fact, they are my main gigging guitars. This forum made me aware of those deals, proof positive that this is a good place for jazz guitar enthusiasts!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Ha! The famous 17th century organist Buxtehude was looking for a successor for his prestigious position so he could retire. Problem is, marrying his butt-ugly daughter Anna Margarita was part of the deal. Many important aspiring organists anxious to get the gig turned it down, including Bach and Handel. Buxtehude was never able to retire and ended up dying in the position. But all was not bad for poor Anna. Shortly after his death, Buxtehude's assistant Schieferdecker married her and was given the prestigious position.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Ha! The famous 17th century organist Buxtehude was looking for a successor for his prestigious position so he could retire. Problem is, marrying his butt-ugly daughter Anna Margarita was part of the deal. Many important aspiring organists anxious to get the gig turned it down, including Bach and Handel. Buxtehude was never able to retire and ended up dying in the position. But all was not bad for poor Anna. Shortly after his death, Buxtehude's assistant Schieferdecker married her and was given the prestigious position.
    I think it was more the thought of having her father as my father-in-law that killed the deal. I kept offering him money for the guitar, but he'd just keep telling me, "No. You gotta marry my daughter!"