The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 55 of 55

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrwoland

Maybe I may ask a local luthier to put a traditional piezo saddle into an archtop bridge.
    I have had some success (at moderate volume levels) with one or a pair of PickUpTheWorld transducers sandwiched between the top and the bridge feet. Installation is easy and easily reversible. Preamp probably needed but try without first.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Can’t beat the ToneDexter with the UltraTonic pickup. Both designed by James May (Mr. May also worked on the design and engineering for John Buscarino’s new Chameleon Amplification System, which is, hands down, the best amp and head I’ve heard. I sold all my old amps and got the new Buscarino amp and head. It’s incredible.

A few months ago, I drove up to Gold Country (Grass Valley in California) and had Mr. May install the UltraTonic pickup for my 8 string Brahms classical guitar. It works GREAT with the ToneDexter.

It sounds similar to the most popular sound board transducer, the K&K Pure Mini—a quite good sounding pickup. However, the Ultra Tonic does not suffer from the same low end tubbiness. It sounds clearer and crisper, with great articulation and perfect string-to-string balance. Compared to typical under saddle transducers, the warmth and natural attack characteristics of this pickup are very compelling.”

James May Engineering | The Ultra Tonic Pickup - Premium Sound

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    Can’t beat the ToneDexter with the UltraTonic pickup. Both designed by James May (Mr. May also worked on the design and engineering for John Buscarino’s new Chameleon Amplification System, which is, hands down, the best amp and head I’ve heard. I sold all my old amps and got the new Buscarino amp and head. It’s incredible.

A few months ago, I drove up to Gold Country (Grass Valley in California) and had Mr. May install the UltraTonic pickup for my 8 string Brahms classical guitar. It works GREAT with the ToneDexter.

It sounds similar to the most popular sound board transducer, the K&K Pure Mini—a quite good sounding pickup. However, the Ultra Tonic does not suffer from the same low end tubbiness. It sounds clearer and crisper, with great articulation and perfect string-to-string balance. Compared to typical under saddle transducers, the warmth and natural attack characteristics of this pickup are very compelling.”

James May Engineering | The Ultra Tonic Pickup - Premium Sound
    interesting! If this is something I can get installed without having to ship my axe to the US this might be worth doing, especially if it works well with the TD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    interesting! If this is something I can get installed without having to ship my axe to the US this might be worth doing, especially if it works well with the TD
    Any competent tech should do it. He installed it and the sensors in interiors of the guitar, and carved out a small output jack (blasphemous for classical guitars, lol, but who cares?) I only went to him because (1) he lives nearby; (2) it was a Brahms guitar, which no one has, except for Paul Galbraith. . You can email him, he’s pretty responsive.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    Try the Clingon pickup. Fareed Haque just put it on his flamenco. Ridiculously easy to attach. Sounds ok. Cheap. You can use two on a guitar, easily, to emphasize different tonal qualities. I just bought two. Will put it on my Brahms guitar.

Do you know if this would work with archtops? I ask because the website states that the Cling On works with all instruments featuring a flat soundboard.

edit: I went to the Cling On website and found that the pickup can easily be installed in a violin, so there shouldn't be any problem installing one in an archtop.

I think I'll be trying one of these for my Epiphone acoustics.
    Last edited by Klatu; 08-24-2021 at 01:44 PM.