The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

Hi everybody!

i know this is an old question but I would like some input. I’m on the hunt for an archtop because I really enjoy the sound AND the look of it. I have started getting into playing some jazz. What I’m looking for is a guitar that doesn’t need to be plugged in to sound good as I will mostly play it acoustic. Also I don’t care for many knobs and tone adjustments, the important thing is that it sounds good as is and that the playability is great. I have fairly large hands. I have read about Godin 5th Avenue kingpin, dangelo, 100000 models of Ibanez and then there is one at the top of my list. The Eastman 503ce.

so, with all that said, hit me with suggestions and thoughts!

many thanks ?
    /jonas

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have owned only one arch top guitar, a Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin with a P90 neck pickup.
    I thought it sound very good plugged in (P90s are my favorite pick-up) I didn't care too much for it
    unplugged.
    The carbon fiber archtop guitars look interesting to me although I know very little about them and they maybe out of my price range.
    I'd love to try some of the models that fibertone-guitars.com offers, or the Kestrel offered by emeraldguitars.com.

I currently own 3 carbon fiber flat top acoustic guitars and I prefer them over wood flat top acoustics.
    CF flat top acoustics sound as good as wood flat top acoustics but with CF you never need to worry about
    humidity or temperature fluctuations.
    I've not seen much information about carbon fiber arch top acoustic guitars
    except on fibertoneguitars and emeraldguitars websites and facebook sites.
    There is also this link to a discussion about CF archtop guitars...
    carbon fiber archtop guitar Fibertone
    Last edited by dhd; 02-10-2020 at 08:06 AM.

User Info Menu

Can't go wrong with Eastman.

User Info Menu

I am a proponent of Godin 5th Avenues. They are lightweight, comfortable, easy to set up and maintain, and customizable.

You didn't say if you are going to gig with it, but you can't beat a lightweight guitar like the Godin when it's going to be strapped around your neck for three hours.

Nopes, no gigging. Just me at home learning and enjoying playing som jazz. Eventually recording at a later stage. So weight is not important, the acoustic sound is though. And from what I have heard, 5th avenues sound a little weak and flat being played unplugged. At least compared to for example Eastmans. That’s my main concern. But yeah, they look pretty awesome and old school! ?

@lobomov. Yeah.. I’m leaning in that direction. Have to save up some more money though but my feeling is it’ll be worth it ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    Based on what you write .. Just buy an Eastman 503ce
    +1
    For something with good acoustic qualities, Eastman would be the best route.

User Info Menu

The answer is in your question : Eastman AR 503 CE
    I have one.
    99,9% of its playing time is unplugged because it barks just like a flattop
    It's light and comfortable to play
    String it with Phosphore Bronze 12's and you're done
    Depending on where you are, you lmay find some used for cheap

And welcome to the forum ....

User Info Menu

The Eastman because it has a solid spruce top. Laminates are fine on electric archtops but just like on flat tops, solid woods are going to give you a richer acoustic sound.

Actually if you keep your eye out you can sometimes find one of the Eastman guitars with solid top and back/sides in the used market for a good price. Especially if you don't mind finish dings. The oval hole models are my favorite for acoustic tone.

Finally you may find Eastman's to be quite bright. It's the design and materials. You can tone it down a little bit with choice of strings but expect an edgy punch with the note attack envelope of an archtop. Not a flat top's warm harmonic ring. If you end up not liking it, you won't lose much on the sale of a used Eastman.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Malistic
    Nopes, no gigging. Just me at home learning and enjoying playing som jazz. Eventually recording at a later stage. So weight is not important, the acoustic sound is though. And from what I have heard, 5th avenues sound a little weak and flat being played unplugged. At least compared to for example Eastmans. That’s my main concern. But yeah, they look pretty awesome and old school! ?
    It depends on the Eastman. I'd say the Godin Kingpin has a slightly better acoustic sound than an AR405e or AR371 (the only Eastman laminated-top guitars I've played), but the higher-end carved top Eastmans are a whole different thing, especially the full depth ones with floating pickups. If your "use case" is "unplugged nearly all the time, plugged in once in a blue moon" and you can spend $2k I'd recommend one of those, unless you truly can't deal with the sound of a floater. I haven't played the 503ce, but people seem to really like 'em and used prices hover around $1k, which strikes me as a good deal. From what I've heard on videos, the 503ce sounds a bit better than the Godin unplugged, but, I can't tell whether it's louder (videos are a very problematic way to judge instruments, IMO). Plugged in, different but not better. Another guitar I checked out recently that sounds quite good unplugged for an electric guitar (and really good plugged in) is the Comins GCS 16.

But the Kingpin is ridiculously good for the money, and just plain good, money aside. It's loud enough for unplugged practicing including alongside another acoustic, and plugged in, it's a serious instrument that sounds and plays great. For three times the money, you'll find something different, or something you prefer, or something with prettier finish and decoration, but I'm hard pressed to say better. I mean I get why people don't take them entirely seriously -- the price and the lack of ornamentation scream "department store toy." But, my Godin keeps talking me out of getting something else on the bandstand.

John
    Last edited by John A.; 02-10-2020 at 02:18 PM.

User Info Menu

I like my Kingpin. I like my Eastman better. I think you need to try them to know what's right for you.

My Eastman is one of their higher end ones. It's all solid carved. And it cost about 4 times what the Godin did. It's not really a fair comparison. It's a great acoustic instrument if you like the sound of a lighter carve.

Looks like the Eastman the OP is interested in has solid spruce top and lam sides and back. It's also a bit thinner than mine. I wouldn't be surprised if the Godin compared more favorably to that one. It'll have a little different feel, due in part to 12" VS 16" board radius, among other small differences.

From my end, I'd say you can't go wrong with the Godin. Everyone needs a ply-box/P90 in the quiver. It's such a great buy that I wouldn't consider selling mine as I really can't get back what it's worth to me. I think I'm headed down to play it a bit. I've overlooked it lately. This forum really is an invaluable resource!

User Info Menu

Try, if you can, a MIK Epiphone Emperor Regent - 17" laminate box, floating pup (which you needn't use), vg fit and finish, light weight, resonant, and one of the finest necks I've ever encountered.
    A real bargain, if you can find one. Also, welcome to JGO!

User Info Menu

It's always fun to see a top flight player killing it on a 'department store toy' :)

Andre Ceccarelli, Sylvain Luc et Richard Bona au Saveurs Jazz Festival 2011 a Segre - Part 8 - YouTube

User Info Menu

Hi. My first post here. I'm a very experienced guitarist (5+ decades) but I'm barely a jazz player. I've learned a fair amount of jazz guitar over the years but I would not call myself a "jazz guitarist" yet. I'm actually a darn good bluegrass flat picker and I enjoy learning different styles. I love both jazz and bluegrass music. I'm listening to Frank Sinatra and Count Basie as I write this.

So, there's a little background. Now for some advice...I want a good jazz archtop for under $2000. I'm pretty sure that's doable. I've listened to many of the Youtube demo videos of various jazz archtops. The two I've kind of narrowed down to from what I can glean are the Guild Savoy 150 Newark St. and D'Angelico EX L archtops. The comments and reviews I've read seem to somewhat favor the Guild. I like the floating D'Armond and Duncan Minibucker pickups on the two guitars.

I like the "traditional" clean jazz tones of the jazz guitar masters of the past, all the way back to Charlie Christian. I've owned two Gibson archtops in the past. One was my lifetime dream guitar...a Gibson L5CES. As a kid I used to look at the Gibson catalog and drool over their jazz archtops, especially the L5CES. Mine sounded great but was not well constructed. I actually ordered it new. I waited 2 years for it. It was purchased in the late '90s. I won't bore you with the details of all that was wrong with it. But they were numerous and not minor. The other Gibson archtop I owned was from Private Reserve Guitars. It was a one off Gibson 2006 or 2007 ES5 Switchmaster and it was a gem. I loved it. It was very well built, sounded outstanding, and played superbly. It was one of those "wish I still had it" guitars. I was playing in a jump blues/swing jazz band at the time and it was perfect for it.

Anyway, someday I'd like to have another Gibson jazz archtop. I won't buy another Gibson without trying it out first. I learned my lesson well on that. But I'm wanting to get back to playing some jazz. I miss it. I still love bluegrass music and I play in a great bluegrass band. But, as I said, I miss playing jazz. I'll also have to buy an amp as I sold all my amps to finance acoustic instruments when I got into bluegrass music. Picking an amp will probably be easier than picking a guitar as I know amps very well.

So, what do you recommend? I'm kind of leaning toward the Guild Savoy 150 Newark St. I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Tom

Thanks for all of your replies!

actually, from the pictures and videos I’ve seen of the Godin kingpin it looks really good to me. I’m not one for the flashy things, quite the opposite. It’s just a shame I have no dealer here so I can’t try it out and it just feels wrong ordering a guitar without trying it out.

I found this deal on an east man, would you say it’s “bang for the buck”?
    Eastman AR503CE Sunburst | Handbyggede Jazz Guitarer fra Jazzisten

regarding the epiphany emperor regent, that model seems to be discontinued so I have to go used without trying it out. It looks really nice though! Gonna do some more investigation ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Malistic

I found this deal on an east man, would you say it’s “bang for the buck”?
    Eastman AR503CE Sunburst | Handbyggede Jazz Guitarer fra Jazzisten
    I understand it's new, so : YES ! because it's the price of a used one, at least on this side of the pond

User Info Menu

IMO, go for the best acoustic sound you can and then make it electric with a floating pickup. The Eastman 805/10 or 905/10 are great guitars and come with a cutaway if you want that. Next you might think about a 40s Epiphone Triumph, they can be found for the same cost as a new Eastman, around 2k, no cutaway though. You can make an acoustic electric but you can make an electric acoustic.

User Info Menu

Unless I missed it, you didn't mention your price limit.

User Info Menu

You guys are making me GAS for an Eastman LOL. The ones I have tried I have found to be well made and play smoothly. I do recall their laminate equivalent to the 175 to be quite a bit brighter. I imagine a solid top would be a great player. The price for that seems more than reasonable.

I will just throw out that I have had a couple of 5th Avenues. They sound good acoustic (to me) and are reasonably loud. And great plugged in of course. Being laminate, lightweight and with a satin finish they are very trouble-free guitars. At 1/4 the price of the Eastman, they might be worth your consideration.

I also have a Harmony Brilliant Cutaway. It has a pressed solid top (spruce I think). It is a rather loud, resonant guitar--not up to the level of the carved guitars, but a decent option on the used market if you're looking for a primary acoustic player.

Last but not least I will throw out a flattop like the Taylor cutaways. Unlike the Martins, to my ears the Taylors have a mellower sound that will work for jazz. I wish I had one.