The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Dear All,

I have T146SM. But no chance to play new PRS SE Hollowbody II. I feel their design idea is similar.

Any comparison or comments about these two guitars?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi, Ive not played to PRS yet, but I have played other SEs and I play an Eastman thin line as my main guitar. I would say the feel is going to be different with the PRS being more of a mass produced instrument and the Eastman being hand made. Also, and to me most important, the neck on Eastman thin lines is a beautiful thing IMO, and I have not liked the thinner necks on PRS guitars, plus those jumbo frets are not to my liking. All just my opinion of course, others may have different experiences.
    Bill

User Info Menu

According to Sweetwater, the latest ETA for PRS SE Hollowbody II instruments imported to the U.S. is March 2020. (Yes, I've ordered one)

Unless they are available in other markets, I doubt anyone outside of PRS has had a chance to play one, much less do a comparison with other instruments.

User Info Menu

I believe they are very different animals. If I am not mistaken, the Eastman is fully hollow with a solid spruce top. The PRS has a small solid center block under the bridge, under a laminated maple top.

User Info Menu

I've never played any PRS guitar, so I can't comment on them. I do own an Eastman T145, which is the same as the T146, just an inch smaller across the lower bout. It's a very nice guitar, with an amazingly (at least to me) loud acoustic voice. Being so thin, the acoustic bass is not strong, but it is loud, with a carved spruce top. I like mine a lot. I think these are under-appreciated guitars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I've never played any PRS guitar, so I can't comment on them. I do own an Eastman T145, which is the same as the T146, just an inch smaller across the lower bout. It's a very nice guitar, with an amazingly (at least to me) loud acoustic voice. Being so thin, the acoustic bass is not strong, but it is loud, with a carved spruce top. I like mine a lot. I think these are under-appreciated guitars.
    The Eastman I play is a new one for them, the T64 which is also a full hollow with a brace block to support the bridge. Different PU with the T64 having Lollar Dogear p90s, but my guitar has a lam top and it has the nicest acoustic voice as well. Just a wonderful instrument for me. I was interested in the PRS guitars too, and maybe they will be a surprise, but for now I’m really happy with my Eastman
    Bill

User Info Menu

Apples and oranges to me.
    Lower bout width : 16" vs much less
    Full hollow vs semi hollow
    Solid top vs laminate

I'd like an Eastman T146 (to match my beloved AR503CE) and wonder what a PRS SE semi hollow would bring me that I don't have with my ES-339

User Info Menu

I also like acoustic sound. It’s perfect for practicing at night.

User Info Menu

I also considered ar503ce before I bought T146SM. The main reason is my t146sm is only 70 dollars higher than AR503CE.

User Info Menu

Also depends on if you're leaning more toward straight jazz, or blues, or fusion, etc. Not to mention how loud.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    According to Sweetwater, the latest ETA for PRS SE Hollowbody II instruments imported to the U.S. is March 2020. (Yes, I've ordered one)

Unless they are available in other markets, I doubt anyone outside of PRS has had a chance to play one, much less do a comparison with other instruments.
    According to your information, the PRS one is more like Eastman t184Mx, not t146sm.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by benluo
    According to your information, the PRS one is more like Eastman t184Mx, not t146sm.
    Here's PRS SE Hollowbody II specs...

Error Message