The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Trying to compile a list of all possible Jim hall size arch tops out there with these specs before I make my pick. Looking for guitars with 15-16” body, 2.5-2.75 inch deep, routed humbucker (neck only! No bridge pickups!), ebony fretboard with maple neck and body, preferably 24.75 scale length. So far I got...

Sadowsky Jim hall

fibonacci californian

peerless leela (25.5 scale length though...)

fender daquisto elite /jazz line

Heritage sweet 16

schottmueller little Leona? 23.75 scale?

Im sure VB could whip something up too.

Any others out there? Which do you all suggest? Would love something on the lower end of the price spectrum...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Roger Borys
    Bryant Trenier
    Stephan Holst
    Andersen

User Info Menu

Comins GCS-16 1

specs look close. Great guitar

User Info Menu

The Heritage Sweet 16 comes standard with a @25 1/2" scale.

The Heritage 575 comes standard with a @24 3/4" scale, but has a mahogany neck/rosewood board. However, all sorts of variations were made, probably including ones with a single pickup/maple neck/ebony board configuration. A used one like this will be considerably cheaper than a new one.
    Attached Images Attached Images Jim hall size guitars?-heritage-575-1pup-2-jpg Jim hall size guitars?-heritage-575-1pup-jpg 
    Last edited by Hammertone; 01-05-2020 at 04:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MHoranzy
    Trying to compile a list of all possible Jim hall size arch tops out there with these specs before I make my pick. Looking for guitars with 15-16” body, 2.5-2.75 inch deep, routed humbucker (neck only! No bridge pickups!), ebony fretboard with maple neck and body, preferably 24.75 scale length. So far I got...

Sadowsky Jim hall

fibonacci californian

peerless leela (25.5 scale length though...)

fender daquisto elite /jazz line

Heritage sweet 16

schottmueller little Leona? 23.75 scale?

Im sure VB could whip something up too.

Any others out there? Which do you all suggest? Would love something on the lower end of the price spectrum...
    Eastman AR403ce
    Godin 5th Ave Composer

John

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    The Heritage Sweet 16 comes standard with a @25 1/2" scale.

The Heritage 575 comes standard with a @24 3/4" scale, but has a mahogany neck/rosewood board. However, all sorts of variations were made, probably including ones with a single pickup/maple neck/ebony board configuration. A used one like this will be considerably cheaper than a new one.
    That second pic looks beautiful. I’ve played their 575 and it sounds great. Would love to have them do a custom build, but they start at $5.5k

User Info Menu

Or a used Campellone 16" Standard thinline or 15" EP thinline w/set-in pickup. They are out there.
    Attached Images Attached Images Jim hall size guitars?-s-l1600-4-jpg Jim hall size guitars?-campellone-ep-15-1-jpg 

Anything out there that’s a 15” that’s not too thin? Really love the Fibonacci Californian

User Info Menu

Well, there is the ES-175 which Jim played for nearly 20 years... when I think of Jim, I think of that guitar. And along those lines, the first version of the Gibson ES-165 which was basically a single pick up ES-175 with gold hardware.

User Info Menu

jim hall used a laminated gibby es 175 with single p90 neck pup for near 20 years...(on all his classic recordings with chico hamilton, jimmy giuffre, paul desmond, art farmer bill evans, his merv tv years etc etc etc)..only reason why he ever changed out anything or eventually stopped touring with the guitar was because of its age and vulnerability...he was using jimmy d'aquisto to repair the es 175 and eventually turned to a jimmy D model as a replacement..when a similar situation reoccured with the d'aquisto (with jimmy D gone -RIP) he turned to sadowsky who had been repairing his d'aquisto

for a nice low budget entry try finding a millennium era epi zephyr regent

cheers

User Info Menu

You want a Jim Hsll check out the real deal D’Aquisto on Reverb
    Be sure to look at all the photos

Schwing !!

User Info Menu

Warning, thread drift and potential thread hijacking for which I apologize. Mike, do you mean this one from 1983?

D'Aquisto Jim Hall Model 1983 Tawny Sunburst | Reverb

The claims in the ad writeup seem a bit off to me. I've never heard this referred to as a "Jim Hall" model, only as an "electric guitar" to distinguish them from a carved archtop- my understanding is that the laminated plates for these were made by Roger Borys. On this one, D'Aquisto's signature and serial number don't look right. All his other guitars (that I've ever seen photos of) are signed "James L. D'Aquisto" with a handwritten date and an ink-stamped serial number below the signature. This one is signed "J D'Aquisto" with "#101" written in what looks like ballpoint, and the letters don't look like his other ones. But OTOH if seller bought it from Mandolin Brothers, they are a very reputable and top-notch dealer so I may just be picking nits and it's just fine. And a darned nice looking instrument as well. There is something about the shape and proportion of the D'Aquisto that strikes the eye very well.

And then there's this one. Wowser:

D'Aquisto New Yorker Special 1980 Violin Varnish | Reverb

To bring it back onto topic, though, there are a bunch of Fender D'Aquisto's on Reverb right at the moment and these are often very excellent guitars. For the OP I would think these might bear looking into. The Elites are one-pickup models, the Standards have two pickups. Some of the ones on Reverb right now seem well priced.

User Info Menu

There's a nice deal on a Holst laminate 16" at Gruhn Guitars. It's been there for quite a while.

But anyway, back on track, consider also the Collings Eastside. Although it looks like 16 frets to the body it's really more like 14, and if you move the strap pin (which I did on my Eastside Jazz) then it feels just like a normal 14 fret-to-the-body jazzbox. Used ones can be found for attractive prices.

User Info Menu

I will add the MIJ Westville Aruba:

"
    Westville Aruba is a tribute model to legendary jazz guitar player Jim Hall and also legendary luthier James L. D’Aquisto. It was designed just as a traditional jazz box with beautiful figured Hard Maple/Spruce Plywood top, figuard Hard Maple Plywood back, and figured Solid Hard Maple sides."

User Info Menu

I own a very close variant of the H575 linked below at Guitars N’ Jazz:

http://guitarsnjazz.com/product/heritage-h-575-blonde-archtop-guitar/

Aside from the rosewood fingerboard, I think it ticks your boxes. Mine also has a coil splitter, and an extra output jack to send the signal to 2 amps/boards. New is $3895, I will be listing mine soon for far less.

User Info Menu

...Just realized my post above is misleading. How so?

This is the very 575 I now own, down to the mini-toggle! And it remains exactly as Lou del Rosso’s photos show it—carved like a Sweet 16, but with a set HB and 24.75 scale.

Disregard the cited MSRP/price info, too—I have no idea why that $3895 figure is on the page. It was a custom build; I don’t know the original price.

The rest of the post is accurate, though: I am planning to sell it.

Image courtesy of Guitars N’ Jazz

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    Warning, thread drift and potential thread hijacking for which I apologize. Mike, do you mean this one from 1983?

D'Aquisto Jim Hall Model 1983 Tawny Sunburst | Reverb

The claims in the ad writeup seem a bit off to me. I've never heard this referred to as a "Jim Hall" model, only as an "electric guitar" to distinguish them from a carved archtop- my understanding is that the laminated plates for these were made by Roger Borys. On this one, D'Aquisto's signature and serial number don't look right. All his other guitars (that I've ever seen photos of) are signed "James L. D'Aquisto" with a handwritten date and an ink-stamped serial number below the signature. This one is signed "J D'Aquisto" with "#101" written in what looks like ballpoint, and the letters don't look like his other ones. But OTOH if seller bought it from Mandolin Brothers, they are a very reputable and top-notch dealer so I may just be picking nits and it's just fine. And a darned nice looking instrument as well. There is something about the shape and proportion of the D'Aquisto that strikes the eye very well.

And then there's this one. Wowser:

D'Aquisto New Yorker Special 1980 Violin Varnish | Reverb

To bring it back onto topic, though, there are a bunch of Fender D'Aquisto's on Reverb right at the moment and these are often very excellent guitars. For the OP I would think these might bear looking into. The Elites are one-pickup models, the Standards have two pickups. Some of the ones on Reverb right now seem well priced.

This Mandolin Bros. web page offers some insight into the D'Aquisto Jim Hall electric:

D'Aquisto (used, 1989) Jazz Model - Mandolin Brothers, Ltd.

My Holst guitar was modeled after the Borys/D'Aquisto/Jim Hall Laminate (Mine has 22 frets however):

User Info Menu

from the man himself!!! whom i consider the greatest of them all--jimmy D'aquisto....with jim hall

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by helios
    This Mandolin Bros. web page offers some insight into the D'Aquisto Jim Hall electric:

D'Aquisto (used, 1989) Jazz Model - Mandolin Brothers, Ltd.

My Holst guitar was modeled after the Borys/D'Aquisto/Jim Hall Laminate (Mine has 22 frets however):

beautiful holst! How do you like it? I’m asking cuz I have one on the way and it looks like the specs are all the same... I made my decision! link below

Gruhn Guitars

User Info Menu

Hi,
    It plays, sounds, and looks great! Steve's laminated plates are very similar to those of Roger Borys, and he presses them himself!

User Info Menu

You got that Holst, good move !!! I d eyeballed that a few days ago. I have Steve building me a 17 inch fully carved with. Similar look. You did good.

?Big

Quote Originally Posted by MHoranzy
    beautiful holst! How do you like it? I’m asking cuz I have one on the way and it looks like the specs are all the same... I made my decision! link below

Gruhn Guitars