The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Was wondering if anyone on the board has some knowledge experience with older Les Pauls?
    A gentleman I know who sent me a picture of an old Led Paul style guitar from 60s it appears I assume (all other equipment he has is from this period). All the finish is completely stripped and it may just be a hacked together imitation, but could be something else. I will try and post picture.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

50s-60s Gibson Les Paul-screenshot_20200104-091250-jpg

User Info Menu

50s-60s Gibson Les Paul-screenshot_20200103-212813-jpg

User Info Menu

Stay away!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Stay away!
    Yes, I figured. And unless I can verify that some of the parts are worth something I wouldn't go near it. I was just hoping to find out a little more in the discussion.

User Info Menu

Agreed stay way away!

User Info Menu

Looks like a good $100 project.

User Info Menu

You could always post a picture and your question on the Les Paul Forum in the Vintage section. Those guys are experts on stuff like this.

User Info Menu

I doubt that it's a Gibson at all - doesn't look right to me....

User Info Menu

could very well be an older gibson that they poured paint remover on... or took a sander to, and removed all the binding

dare i ask if there's any numbering left on back of headstock

they reversed the neck pup too...peter green style haha

luck

cheers

User Info Menu

The bottom of the fingerboard by the neck pickup should not have round edges,nor be bound. Would need more pics to verify authentication.
    Definitely check with Les Paul Forums and post more pic

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    The bottom of the fingerboard by the neck pickup should not have round edges,nor be bound. Would need more pics to verify authentication.
    Definitely check with Les Paul Forums and post more pic
    Thats the first thing I noticed.

User Info Menu

FWIW, back in the 70's there was a fad or something to strip the finish off of guitars in general. I had a 59 Strat I bought as a kid that was stripped. No clue about that one. Good luck with it.

User Info Menu

50S-60S GIBSON LES PAUL
    No

The screw-height-adjust bridge and rounded fingerboard resemble some early 1970s Ibanez. But it could have come from a number of non-USA locations.

50s-60s Gibson Les Paul-screen-shot-2020-01-05-9-26-31-am-jpg

User Info Menu

Just no. $75 tops or just say no.

User Info Menu

If that's a Gibson Les Paul, I'm the Queen of England...!

User Info Menu

Base of the neck shouldn't be curved, definitely not a Gibson ABR-1 bridge nor a 1975 and later Gibson Nashville bridge, fingerboard inlay shape looks funky. Could be shadows but the neck pocket looks square with gaps around the neck (like a poor bolt on neck).