The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

Sorry, I'm not sure just exactly how the NGD rules work .....( Must I actually take possession of it ? )
    Anyway, about 2+ years ago I asked Mark to do one like this and he was very nice about it but had to decline. Then a year after that I asked again and he said yes but then I had to decline. During all that time, I kept looking for a suitable L-12, and absolutely could not find one.
    So, in Spring of 2019, I asked Mark again and last summer he said 'ok'. So we went ahead.
    These are the only photos I have of the guitar basically completed....We are watching the weather and I may not actually see it for a month, but so be it..........
    Bottom line, if it helps anyone else here who may have given up locating a 16 in classic -- like it helped me -- great.
    Because we'd hit a snag sourcing the inlays, I did ask Mark about posting these photos. He said the guitar will appear on his gallery at some point and yes he'll confirm the inlay availability prior to scheduling. And most importantly yes, he would accept and build others, depending upon custom schedules etc etc.
    Dennis
    NGD  " In Process / Near Completion Campellone "-gtr-compl-jpgNGD  " In Process / Near Completion Campellone "-grt-compl-2-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Very nice, Dennis. Congrats!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M.
    Very nice, Dennis. Congrats!
    Thanks Mark

User Info Menu

what a beauty..and you know its gonna sound the same...beautiful!

congrats & enjoy d

cheers

User Info Menu

nice looking Dennis!
    what are the custom features besides headstock and fingerboard inlays?

User Info Menu

Dennis,
    It’s stunning ! No one makes a better GIbson styled Archtop than Mark Campellone.

User Info Menu

Delightful! Do keep us apprised!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    nice looking Dennis!
    what are the custom features besides headstock and fingerboard inlays?
    What we started with was his Standard model, and then went from there......The tuners are Waverly open gear ( gold ), the bridge is ebony, and the tailpiece is trapeze, also gold ..........per Mark's request, I had to get my neighbor ( and his caliper) over to measure the neck on my '37 L-7, so we got the shape right....
    ....and Mark had to antique the binding, so it wouldn't appear new....
    ....and he offers a vintage burst color, so that was ok......
    .....Then just 16 x 3 ......24.75 in. scale 1+15/16 nut......

......but the inlays were the major hurdle.....

User Info Menu

note from the builder - actually, the tuners aren't Waverly - they're Grover Sta-tite.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MCampellone
    note from the builder - actually, the tuners aren't Waverly - they're Grover Sta-tite.
    .....See what I mean - - not the first time Mark had to protect me from myself !!

User Info Menu

It looks superb. Can't wait to hear it.

User Info Menu

It’s great, love those inlays. If anyone can pull it off it’s Mark.

Big

User Info Menu

Looks great. Love my Campellone.

User Info Menu

Saaaaweeet !!! git ! Mr.Campellone is my favorite living guitar maker. I am in his next batch.The Campellone V1K model. He really knows how to spray a gorgeous sunburst too. Dennis you will not find a single flaw on your Campy. It will be pure Perfection. I've seen Campellones for years on archtop.com but it was Steve (QAman) that told me I must have one. He was 100% correct. If you like Gibson L5's you will love Campellones.

User Info Menu

i was a newbie here, then...& not to say i told u so, but..when our great friend Joe D was gettin his d'angelico!

what days those were! hah

then

#12...reverb link is still good...magnificent!

cheers

User Info Menu

Congratulations Dennis,
    One would assume that it was a Gibson Custom without
    seeing the headstock. Mark C is certainly the top of
    the tree for custom Archtop builds. I expect it will sound
    as good as it looks !

Best, silverfoxx

User Info Menu

If I could build a guitar like that, I'd keep it, lock the door, and never stop playing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverfoxx
    Congratulations Dennis,
    One would assume that it was a Gibson Custom without
    seeing the headstock. Mark C is certainly the top of
    the tree for custom Archtop builds. I expect it will sound
    as good as it looks !

Best, silverfoxx
    Thanks sf........
    My reasoning became easy - -if he'd agree to build it, his name goes on the headstock - period . And equally important, it would be evidence that a modern builder could and would build a guitar that'd pay homage to a '30's Gibson. And then maybe someone else who always wanted one could have one too.
    Years ago I bought the ' Blue Guitar ' book ( Ken Vose ) and even though I already knew about Mark C, when I read in the book that he'd learned a lot by taking apart old Gibson archtops, my decision was made.
    I figured if I were ever going to have one built, he'd be the man to build it. He was the only one I was going to ask, and if he said 'no', it'd be 'no'.
    While initially he did say no, he eventually said yes and I'm glad he did !
    Last edited by Dennis D; 01-04-2020 at 04:32 PM.

User Info Menu

Nice score, DD. Shoulda gone fer a snakehead though...MC does nice snakeheads. Ask Hammertone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Nice score, DD. Shoulda gone fer a snakehead though...MC does nice snakeheads. Ask Hammertone.
    Thanks....I didn't know Mark C made them..........I did think about that, but decided a snakehead headstock just wasn't that important to me, and didn't actually fit the look I wanted either.........

User Info Menu

Hi Dennis,
    You are a lucky man.
    I am in the process of deciding on a future build with Mark. I am BLOWN away by the amount of attention he gives you help you make the right decision. He works tirelessly to insure the customer is making the right decisions and for the right reasons.
    You picked a very elegant guitar design. I hope the guitar is going to become your favorite for many years to come. I honestly think buying a Campellone is a smart decision, because all great things come to an end. The luxury of being able to secure a build from a GREAT artisan who follows through on his promises, treats you with integrity, respect, and delivers a great value is a privilege. Basically, Mark does exactly what Jimmy and John did for for their clients and he does it on time.
    Enjoy that beauty. Enjoy it for a long, long time.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Hi Dennis,
    You are a lucky man.
    I am in the process of deciding on a future build with Mark. I am BLOWN away by the amount of attention he gives you help you make the right decision. He works tirelessly to insure the customer is making the right decisions and for the right reasons.
    You picked a very elegant guitar design. I hope the guitar is going to become your favorite for many years to come. I honestly think buying a Campellone is a smart decision, because all great things come to an end. The luxury of being able to secure a build from a GREAT artisan who follows through on his promises, treats you with integrity, respect, and delivers a great value is a privilege. Basically, Mark does exactly what Jimmy and John did for for their clients and he does it on time.
    Enjoy that beauty. Enjoy it for a long, long time.
    Joe D
    Hello Joe
    Thanks for the kind words !
    I am especially glad you got to see the guitar Mark built for me. From the day I ordered it, I was looking forward to posting photo's here, and just hoping you and the other 'good folks in the know' here would see it, and maybe appreciate what Mark and I tried to do. I know we don't see you as often here, so I am glad you didn't miss it, and glad I got to hear what you had to say.
    Maybe seeing this will help you in your build decision. Please feel free to pm me with any questions etc.
    Thx again Joe, and good luck with your decision.
    Dennis