The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 52
    Glad to hear that, I hope you have enjoyned the first impressions.
    Here is a typical set of settings I use in my Clarus 2R series ii combined with a RE stealth10' cabinet.
    "master" at 12 o'clock, then control from "level"; you can have the same vice versa.
    EQ : "treble" at 1 o' clock, then further sparkle can be provided by the "brite" (set at 2 o'clock)
    middle "flat", "bass" at 10 o' clock, dropping some mud.
    Please pay attention, bass & treble are shelving type eq., so they are more effective.
    Also the HP or the notch filter is a very good option to further shape your tone, not only to be used to eliminate boominess or similar situations; they are very effective even in a practice room environment.
    Last edited by nikoskr62; 09-29-2023 at 02:40 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Monkiewicz View Post
    Thanks Cunamara for your insightful reply and comments. It's good to get a well rounded perspective. Would you clarify the anagram IMHO or is that a brand?
    i always liked the JBL speakers; in fact spent quite a few dollars on the ones I have especially a 12" I had reconed and remagnetized. They are indeed heavy so I get what you mean there. I bought a cabinet from a friend who owns an amp business. I needed a cabinet for 2 10"JBL's ( already heavy) Since he was selling it to me at cost he required 50% down so he could order it. What I got however was a oversized solid wood cabinet sized for 2 12". I couldn't send it back under the circumstances and although an excellent cabinet it is no heavy. I'm up in the air about JBL. I like the crisp sound but am wondering if the Weber speakers are a better fit for the style I play? Your comments got me thinking about whether they are the best choice for jazz. I don't like the Polytone sound however which I know is unusual. For me it's too round or flat? I guess it all comes down to personal taste. Still experimenting. I'm waiting for the Clarus R2 to come in. I'll let you know what I think vs. the Quilter101 I currently have. Explain YMMV please!
    IMHO is old Internetese for "In My Humble Opinion," (used tongue in cheek, of course; IMNHO or "In My Not So Humble Opinion" was more honest). YMMV = "Your Mileage May Vary." I effectively grew up on the Internet in the days of Usenet, before the proliferation of the World Wide Web, texting, apps, graphical interfaces, etc. Such anagrams were part of the lingua franca of the day, only some of which made it into our texting- and tweet-based world which instead has come up with the inelegant "vaycay" for "vacation," etc., and erroneously calls threads "strings."

BTW ("By The Way"), in my day I walked to school seven miles uphill both ways and barefoot in the snow. I'm old and dangerously near being a curmudgeon.

User Info Menu

Perhaps the most honest version is just IMO (In My Opinion). At least that's my opinion.
    Such acronyms were invented for economy, so posters didn't have to type so much. They really came into common use when smartphones were introduced, because typing on those is painful at best, at least for me. Whenever I may need to reply to something, I use a device with an actual keyboard if at all possible. But I do know the acronyms, reading isn't that hard.

User Info Menu

Thank you so much Nikos for those tips. I'm sure they will prove to be helpful since I'm still feeling my way with the unit. Could you explain a little more about the aspect of shelving types as mentioned in the reply. I've seen this term in the manual but don't quite understand the terminology. Lastly I see a number of players are going through the Stealth 10 as opposed to the Raezers Edge cabinet. I'm happy with the speaker and cabinet set ups I have but always like to know what other options are available. I'm partial to the 10" speakers, two of which I have housed in a solid b birch cabinet. Whose speakers do the Stealth's use? Thanks

User Info Menu

I came onto the internet thing very late so I'm not up with all the latest jargon. I ended up with a new Clarus SL R since I didn't have to take the Raezers Edge cabinet alon with it which I didn't need and actually caught a great deal which I can't go into now. I don't know if it has as much character as the Quilter does... I'm still testing with it with it but overall I am very happy with with it. Beaucoup of power which I needed while retaining a clean, pure sound. It's tonal palette is quite impressive as well. Since you taught me some texting I thought I'd throw in a French lesson for you. Thanks for everything. I like the slogan at the bottom of your letters.

User Info Menu

The Stealth 10 is one model of Raezer's Edge cabinets. There are actually two, the Stealth 10 and the Stealth 10ER, the ER is for Extended Range, which is provided by an added tweeter, which is adjustable from full off to full on, via a potentiometer and crossover network. The 10 means a 10" speaker, and other models have numbers corresponding to the speaker diameter in them.

User Info Menu

Shelving filter explained: understanding high-shelf and low-shelf equalizers

The Clarus amps are closer to being PA heads than typical guitar or bass heads, IMO. I like it, but a lot of people seem to prefer the more colored tone of a traditional guitar amp. AI amps are aimed at acoustic instruments and bass, in particular, but I really like it with electric guitar as well. My instruments with piezo pickups sound better through that setup than any of my other amps, but my archtops and solid bodies are also very satisfying. Oddly enough, my other favorite amp is a Fender tweed Deluxe clone- which is almost 180° away from the AI philosophy.

"Stealth" was a general marketing name used by the late Rich Raezer for his cabs, followed by the speaker size (Stealth 8, 10, 12, etc.). I've never heard why, except that his cabinets are very low key in terms of visual style and don't call attention to themselves on stage. The late Rick Jones, the founder of Acoustic Image, was also of a similar mindset that the amplifier should not command the attention of the audience at all, so that the focus is on the music and the musicians. Hence, the all black aesthetics of AI amplifiers.

I've had a RE Stealth 12 for probably 15 years, great cab. It is not one of the originals by Rich Raezer. My Clarus 2r came with Redstone 8" but I prefer the more open sound of the RE. I'm not sure if that's because I prefer ported to sealed cabs, prefer 12" to 8" speakers or exactly what.

User Info Menu

Thanks so much again for the links to an explanation on filters; what they do and how to use them. This is all new to me although I have played for many years. As you mentioned, I think I personalLy prefer the colored tone of a traditional amp; in particular I played through a Quilter 202 Block some years back but passed on buying due to the costs at the time. I later purchased a 101 which with their 12" cabinet. It didn't sound as good as what I remember of the Tone Block. I thought it had to do with the cabinet it was paired with but now come to think that it had to do with the power (the kick or impetus) of the Tone Block. I was up in the air as to whether replace my current 101 with a 202 or with an AI since I had heard many good things about it. I didn't want to spend $800 for the 202 but caught a great deal locally on the Clarus SL-R. As I mentioned it's a great amp, I just have to adjust my tastes somewhat to it's more PA type of sound reproduction. Perhaps one day I'll have the opportunity to compare it with the quilter. It might simply be in my mind and for the time being I think the AI is a great amp and definitely worth owning. I may have to just get used to learning how to harness and tweak it's available palette of tones. hat you suggested I'm sure will help me do that. Thanks again for the tips. You're a gentleman!

User Info Menu

I played with the settings you suggested yesterday and it did help. I found the strictly 12 O'clock settings a little dull. I'm not exactly sure what the filter does but I'll continue to play with it. After a comparison of the AI with my Quilter 101 here's the conclusion I came to. I feel the Quilter has more 'character' and it's my preferred choice at least when playing with my Guild X-175, however the AI is a great sounding amp with more than enough power and a great tonal palette. I may keep it to use principally with my acoustic flat top or any other strictly acoustic I may purchase in the future or as a PA with the right speakers since I do vocals as well. Or then again use it along with my Quilter. It's an excellent amp but it really comes down to a matter of taste which differs from player to player. I think you'll agree. At this point I'm in the market for the right deal on a Quilter Tone Block 202 since it delivers more power than my 101 which I can sell.

see attached the tone controls (EQ details) of AI Clarus 2R ii, as provided by Rick Jones, the owner
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Thanks Nikos

User Info Menu

Nikos: Perhaps you can help me. I contacted admin but the information they gave me doesn't seem to work or make sense. I can't figure out how to nav a new thread or make a new post. What steps do I need to take or do you recommend. Thanks Ed

User Info Menu

Click on the big "FORUM FRONT PAGE" at the top left of every page. Scroll down to the sub-forum you want to post in. Click on that, and there will be a large red "POST NEW THREAD" button at the top of the page that loads. Click it, and fill in the necessary information and write your post.

User Info Menu

Thanks Pal. That did it? The instructions I received from admin were a little confusing at least for me. Thanks for taking the time and being so clear. Ed

User Info Menu

I own a Clarus head, Quilter Tone Block, and a Raezer’s edge 1x12. They are both very nice.

I prefer the Quilter as a backup for my Fender amps on rock/country/americana gigs. It does that 60s Fender sound pretty good through a ceramic speaker.

I like the AI/RE for jazz, but it’s noticeably less powerful than the Quilter head. It can be a bit sterile sounding, imo.

i recently got a Henriksen Bud 10 and I like it best of all. It reminds me of my old Polytone. It’s warm and accurate but doesn’t feel clinical sounding to me. It doesn’t sound like a tube amp, but that’s not what I’m going for…

User Info Menu

Thanks for replying friend:
    I recently purchased a Clarus R head and tested it against my Quilter 101. I discovered that in the final analysis it all comes down to individual preferences. I decided to keep the AI for the time being to see how it works with my flat top acoustic which I'm awaiting a pick up for, but personally I like the sound of the Quilter over the AI. The AI is too sterile for me. It doesn't have the 'character' of the Quilter in that I'm a Jazz player. I never much cared for the Polytone (too flat) either at least through the equipment I'm using. I have a '62 Guild with single coil pu's and I have found it nearly impossible to to be satisfied with most amps (speakers I guess) so I bought some vintage JBL's which I used years ago. I never tried the Raezers Edge but based on what you said I probably wouldn't like them either. I'm looking to buy a Tone Block 202 as soon as I find a deal on one and sell my 101 and probably my AI. I have an inside track on some new AI's for $750 lade in which I might advertise on the site . Let me know if you know anyone looking for one. Ed

Hello
    wanted to share my last experience with the Quilter amps.
    I finally opted for the Quilter Tone Block 202 which I have paired with my RE Stealth 10 cabinet (old production series from Reazer).
    At the same time I replaced the speaker, going from the old Emi Beta10 to an Emi 1058.
    I can verify a huge difference in the acoustics of the cabinet, the old muddiness was dissapeared. The bottom end is there (becasue of the excellent cabinet) but the 1058 speaker shines through. I would recommend this speaker upgrade to anyone who wants to hear some sparkle from the RE Stealth10.
    Kept the best for last.... Quilter TB202 is absolute gorgeous ! Is that warm and sparke at the same time with a fully responsive EQ that compensates anything. I have tried it with my DR speaker (open cabinet), same results !
    In all the tests, I have used a hollowbody guitar (my beloved Heritage Sweet16).
    So to conclude, I would highly suggest the Quilter TB202 and for those having a RE cabinet, that speaker upgrade will trasform what you are hearing !
    Staying a bit in the amps suggestion for clear tones, to share my knowledge that the other sought after Roland JC-40 (new production) is finally a DSP based amp (having a DSP in the heart of its design and the whole sound internally goes through it, DSP it's not only an affects thing for it), so it 's another world.
    Last edited by nikoskr62; 04-23-2024 at 08:21 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nikoskr62 View Post
    I finally opted for the Quilter Tone Block 202 which I have paired with my RE Stealth 10 cabinet (old production series from Reazer). At the same time I replaced the speaker, going from the old Emi Beta10 to an Emi 1058. I can verify a huge difference in the acoustics of the cabinet, the old muddiness was dissapeared. The bottom end is there (becasue of the excellent cabinet) but the 1058 speaker shines through. I would recommend this speaker upgrade to anyone who wants to hear some sparkle from the RE Stealth10.
    Great choice! Using another option, I put a Jensen Jet Tornado Neo in my Rich built RE10 and got a similar improvement, along with a 3+ pound weight reduction that’s definitely noticeable. The Jet is also about 3 dB more sensitive than the 1058 (100 dB vs 97.2 @ 1 meter driven by 1 Watt), which is audible as a slightly higher volume at the same setting when cranked up (the stock driver in my RE is about the same sensitivity as the Beta 10). Any of the Tone Blocks will drive our REs to very high volumes with great tone.

I have an OD202, and it also makes beautiful music through any cab. I keep it in a BlockDock 12HD with the stock Celestion BN12-300S. But both 200 Quilter “Blocks” are great through Toobs big and small, the RE10, and a few more esoteric cabs like my RevSound RS8.

The 101s are different animals. The early ones were too bright for my taste, but the Mini is widely reviewed as being much more neutral (although I haven’t tried one so I can’t confirm this). I use the “capacitor trick” (a tone cap across the terminals of a 1/4” plug inserted in the effects send jack) to mellow the tone of my SBUS, and I suspect that might work on the early 101s too.
    Last edited by nevershouldhavesoldit; 04-23-2024 at 10:10 AM.

User Info Menu

The legend 1058 has higher sensitivity and quite a bit less bass response than the beta 10. I made this same swap in my RE cab too (motivated by the increased sensitivity of the Legend) but eventually went back to the Beta in my RE cab. This explains why you perceive it as less muddy. This is ultimately subjective.

Legend:
    Resonance 97 Hz
    Usable Frequency Range 100 Hz - 5 kHz
    Beta:
    Resonance 53 Hz
    Usable Frequency Range 51 Hz - 3.8 kHz

User Info Menu

Niko : thank so much again for your experience. Like yourself I'm really an aficianado when it comes to tone purity and such. Almost a fanatic without getting riduculous. Anyway I'm going to take your comments to heart. Here's where I am since I last spoke to you. I purchased a couple of AI amps which I was always curious about and compared with my Quilter 101. Matching them with my Guild 175 ( Manhattan) with single coil pu's I found that I definitely prefer the sound of the Quilter over the AI not so much for purity but for sound 'character' for that sparkle I find the AI to be lacking in. I since sold the AI's that I had and have one a 2 channel Clarus which is for sale on JG at this time. It's a great amp and I might still hold onto it for playing my acoustic flat top through if I can't get a decent return on it. I since sold the 101 and replaced it with a TB 202 as you mention in your message. I wanted the extra power plus it has additional features such as Direct Out etc. I built some custom cabinets with Vintage JBL speakers which I'm happy with but I might take a whirl at the Raezers Edge at some point as well to compare or to use with my acoustic since I'm having a problem finding the best sound for it since I might start doing some playing out with it maybe even some concerts doing some finger style. Anyway I hope this is helpful . Stay in touch, Thanks for the tip on the speakers. I understand Weber makes some excellent speakers as well and in good price range on the 12" entry level ones. Let me know if you have any more observations. I appreciate it. Ed

User Info Menu

Over the years I owned 5 Acoustic image amps. They are great for a flat PA sound and with a Raezer's Edge cabinet do a "Pat Martino" jazz guitar sound, if you like that sort of thing (I do, sometimes. It is a pretty "dark" sound). I have sold all of my Acoustic Image amps and all but one of my Raezer's Edge Cabinets. I have kept an original Rich Raezer built Stealth 12 ER that is the best of the many RE Cabinets I owned over the years. These days I pair that with a Milkman The Amp 100. The Milkman lacks many of the features of the various heads that I owned over the years, but the tube pre-amp adds enough "sparkle" to bring out the best of the RE cabinet. And at this point, I see no need to change the Beta speaker in the Stealth 12ER. It works and if it ain't broke, I don't want to fix it!

I was a Polytone fan for many years, but all of my Polytone amps are long gone and I am loving the Jazz guitar sound of my Class D Henriksen amps (I own three of these and most of my gigs are done with a Henriksen these days)

Regarding Quilter, I am late to the party, but I am on my second Quilter amp (A Mach 3 Combo). Quilter has replaced my need for tube amps (I was a fan of both Fender and Mesa tube amps for many years going back to the 1970's). Quilter nails the Fender amp sound and what ever "real" tube amp sound is lost in the Quilter solid state experience is too small for my ears to discern. My back can tell the difference and at 66, that is a bigger concern than any perceived fidelity loss from a lack of tubes.

If my choice was between a Quilter and an Acoustic Image amp, Quilter would win for jazz guitar. If I was a singer/songwriter who performed with a Martin Flattop, I might choose something different than both of those choices.

User Info Menu

Looks like I lost the last message. Anyway can you recommend a good fit for a acoustic flat top. I can't seem to get the projection or tonal response I want with Jazz set ups. ? Considering a Raezers Edge maybe with a TB202. Not really sure at this point.

User Info Menu

I love my milkman into my raezers edge stealth 110 ER. It’s among my favorite cabs for jazz. The sound is very direct and punchy, quite unlike the spongier sound of a fender amp.

one thing that I’ve learned is that the cab makes all the difference. It’s true that the milkman does not have as many tone shaping features as the latest quilters but it has better reverb, a tube pre, and easy to use EQ. To change the voice, I just pick a different cab.

the milkman into my Mesa boogie 210 cab (with Jupiter speakers) sounds remarkably close to my vibrolux reverb. The setup weighs in total as much as a Princeton but it has way more headroom.

when I play a strat with the milkman, I like to use my barefaced audio cab with a celestion cream. That speaker has more mid range response which is wonderful with a strat or tele.

User Info Menu

Do you recommend the Milkman ?

User Info Menu

I personally recommend the milkman. It's been my solid state amp of choice lately. I still use the bud 6 when *ultra* portability is required.