The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Now with Duct tape to keep the pup in position ...

Just kidding Joe D.

I am playing through my Katana 50 here. I don't think I ever did that before in a studio recording ... Used a mike.

But this is my first triple video multitracking production. Pffff ... a lot of work and a steep learning curve behind me.

I do need to get me a greenscreen to get rid of the study room vibe. Fortunately it's NOT my bedroom.

Anyway, easy swing on a bop standard in a virtual drummerless trio.

Hope you like.

Last edited by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog; 12-18-2019 at 04:52 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Very nice! Love the tone from that ES-175. What year is it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Colonel
    Very nice! Love the tone from that ES-175. What year is it?
    It's a 1982. One of the first mahogany ones (back, sides, neck) ever made. Most sources state 1983 as first year of production with those specs but mine is late 1982.

DB

User Info Menu

Excellent - really enjoyed it - beautiful tone as well!

User Info Menu

nice db...classic 175 tone..well played

just don't wear that shirt when you go to greenscreen!! haha

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DB's Jazz Guitar Blog
    It's a 1982. One of the first mahogany ones (back, sides, neck) ever made. Most sources state 1983 as first year of production with those specs but mine is late 1982.

DB
    I had a mahogany 175 back in the early 80's. To be honest, I'm not sure exactly when I got it, but I am almost certain it was no later than 1982. Bought in Atlanta.

It was a fine instrument, but when I went into medical school I was playing it less and less, and eventually I traded it for some cocaine. Just kidding. I sold it for $500, which is a bit more than half what I paid for it. I kick myself for selling it to this day.

User Info Menu

DB: great work. Nice bass work, too.

I've always been a sucker for the mahogany ES-175 guitars. They get the sound evinced in your video--really nice and warm/dark...but with plenty of bite.

I am surprised at how much I enjoyed the Katana amp. Cool.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    DB: great work. Nice bass work, too.

I've always been a sucker for the mahogany ES-175 guitars. They get the sound evinced in your video--really nice and warm/dark...but with plenty of bite. I am surprised at how much I enjoyed the Katana amp. Cool.
    Thanks Greentone. The Katana is not a great amp. It's a bit trebly but I was surprised too when I did this take. It sounded better than usual ...

Here's a few pics of the all mahogany side of my 175.

DB

Gibson ES-175 with New Setup-es-175-mahogany-back-jpgGibson ES-175 with New Setup-es-175-mahogany-back-sides-jpg

User Info Menu

DB,
    Very very nice.
    The guitar sounds really nice. Multi camera angles are fun aren’t they?
    Vinny raves about his mahogany backed L4. It really adds a nice texture to the sound of an already, perfect guitar.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Joe D

User Info Menu

some good thoughts on the variables of wood ie maple vs mahogany when it comes to laminates

Mahogany Vs. Maple Laminates 16" Guitars?

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    DB,
    Very very nice.
    The guitar sounds really nice. Multi camera angles are fun aren’t they?
    Vinny raves about his mahogany backed L4. It really adds a nice texture to the sound of an already, perfect guitar.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Joe D
    Thanks. Yes multi camera angles are cool. But my method is primitive. I simply put the same camera in a different position for a shot. It's the only I can do it right now because I have only one camera. It's tiresome because you divide your playing in parts. I had to play the head first, then the solo and than the head again with outtro. So it's not a "real" multi camera setting that I have. I had to glue the 3 parts together over the bass part ... The editing is substantial and cumbersome.

Most of my videos still use one shot ... Works a lot faster and is more a jazz thing to do. But it is less cool yes ...

By the way, my 175 is called "Joe." Dutchbopper's Jazz Guitar Blog: Joe's Birthday

DB

User Info Menu

DB, If I can, I'd like to share an experience. I am in the process of making a DVD fir my family and friends of 25-30 recordings of a lot of the stuff I've done before, but on a higher level. So last night, I recorded 6 of my Johnny Smith arrangements. Each one, I nailed, better than I ever had done before. The Boy Next Door was as clean and perfect as I've ever played it. I felt Johnny in the room. I was happy.
    So then I started combining the 4 cameras and the audio. Out of the 6, maybe, just maybe, there was ONE that was acceptable. Drop outs, poor quality, i forgot to turn one of the lights on and awful sound. The recordings were TERRIBLE. So everything "found the cutting room floor", as they say.

Being your own, talent, engineer, editor and setup guy is a pain in the butt for sure.
    I like your idea of the one camera approach more and more..

Your videos are a treasure trove for anyone trying to learn the Bop style. Great stuff.

JD

Thanks. Yes multi camera angles are cool. But my method is primitive. I simply put the same camera in a different position for a shot. It's the only I can do it right now because I have only one camera. It's tiresome because you divide your playing in parts. I had to play the head first, then the solo and than the head again with outtro. So it's not a "real" multi camera setting that I have. I had to glue the 3 parts together over the bass part ... The editing is substantial and cumbersome.

Most of my videos still use one shot ... Works a lot faster and is more a jazz thing to do. But it is less cool yes ...

By the way, my 175 is called "Joe." Dutchbopper's Jazz Guitar Blog: Joe's Birthday

DB

User Info Menu

Really love your tone Dick. Classic Tal tone. My favorite. Great playing too !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Being your own, talent, engineer, editor and setup guy is a pain in the butt for sure. I like your idea of the one camera approach more and more.. Your videos are a treasure trove for anyone trying to learn the Bop style. Great stuff.JD
    Thanks Joe. Yeah I hear you. People do not realise how much time goes into producing a decent clip, especially a slick one with multiple video angles. And then all the stuff that can go wrong and sometimes does exactly that! Software simply quitting after you have been editing and synchronising the studio sound to the video footage meticulously and then you have to start all over again. Shots of good takes proving bad. Or that amazingly great take that proves unrecorded or totally distorted haha ... etc. etc.

And then there's the simply fact that I usually play way better when there is no camera rolling. After all these years it's still the same. I hardly ever play at 100% when recording vids. Ah well ...

Regards,

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Really love your tone Dick. Classic Tal tone. My favorite. Great playing too !
    Thanks Vinny. Yes, that was my first thought too when mixing the sound. It indeed has that Tal vibe to it.

DB

User Info Menu

Thanks Joe. Yeah I hear you. People do not realise how much time goes into producing a decent clip, especially a slick one with multiple video angles. And then all the stuff that can go wrong and sometimes does exactly that! Software simply quitting after you have been editing and synchronising the studio sound to the video footage meticulously and then you have to start all over again. Shots of good takes proving bad. Or that amazingly great take that proves unrecorded or totally distorted haha ... etc. etc.

And then there's the simply fact that I usually play way better when there is no camera rolling. After all these years it's still the same. I hardly ever play at 100% when recording vids. Ah well ...

Regards,

DB
    The Red Light Blues. I got 'em too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    The Red Light Blues. I got 'em too!
    I hear this might be less of a problem in the future in Amsterdam at least:

https://www.newyorker.com/news/lette...light-district

Great playing and GREAT TONE DB...you are a role model!