The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

FYI the Collings is a custom I-30 LC with humbuckers. Fully hollow with trestle bracing.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Saw this recently posted on his Instagram account and thought it may be of interest to some people here. He always manages to use effects in a most musical way.

Bill Frisell Gear-screenshot-2020-06-11-10-17-52-jpg

User Info Menu

I keep hearing nothing but RAVES about JAM pedals. Their Retro Vibe and Wacko Wah would be on my board, if those were 2 effects I used often enough to bother. And I keep hearing about the Tube Dreamer too....

User Info Menu

I've been very impressed with JAM pedals. The Waterfall is the best chorus pedal I've ever played...so good that it actually made me buy a chorus pedal.

Bill Frisell Gear-jam-pedals-waterfall-jpg

The Delay Llama Xtreme is an exceptionally good pedal.

Bill Frisell Gear-delay-llama-xtreme-jpg

User Info Menu

When I saw him 6 months ago with Julian Lage he appeared to be using only one pedal. At the time I thought it the Strymon Flint.

User Info Menu

On the Instagram post he says that the Flint is always on his board and would be "the last to go".

User Info Menu

Interesting to see he hangs onto the Freeze. I actually want one, mostly as a practice tool. I have started practicing scales and similar things to drones and it would be nice to have an artificial sustain pedal. They are kinda expensive new, and I hope a used one pops up.

Bill Frisell Gear-ehx-freeze-jpg

User Info Menu

flint is one of things where it isn't the best anything i've ever heard, but it does too much and solves enough problems that it's dumb not to keep it around. from ampy to ambient, it has you covered.

that line 6 was everywhere for at least a decade. nice to see it's still out there. their echo park pedal was a damn legend and i'm sorry that disappeared so ignominiously, as they weren't always the most reliable pedals, so it's iffy to pick up a used one. but the tape and analog were legit, and the digital was nice to have. a man didn't need much more delay than that.

i want to say the rattler is a rat variant, right? think he's used several rat and rat like pedals over the years.

User Info Menu

Yeah, to my understanding the Rattler is derived from the RAT. Jam Pedals has been getting more attention during the past years. I remember first reading about them in a Swedish guitar magazine many years ago. I am interested in a chorus, either the Boss CE2 Waza version or a Jam Waterfall.

Bill Frisell Gear-jam-pedals-rattler-jpg

Do you have the Flint? That´s on my list as well, even though Strymon seems pretty hyped at the moment. Judging by the demos it can get surprisingly ambient if necessary. I will probably get rid of my tremolo pedal and replace it with the Flint.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Squeezebox
    Interesting to see he hangs onto the Freeze. I actually want one, mostly as a practice tool. I have started practicing scales and similar things to drones and it would be nice to have an artificial sustain pedal. They are kinda expensive new, and I hope a used one pops up.
    I had a Freeze for awhile, it's good for drones but not much else. I find a looper, even a simple one, much more useful. I use the Digitech Express XT.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feet
    flint is one of things where it isn't the best anything i've ever heard, but it does too much and solves enough problems that it's dumb not to keep it around. from ampy to ambient, it has you covered.

that line 6 was everywhere for at least a decade. nice to see it's still out there. their echo park pedal was a damn legend and i'm sorry that disappeared so ignominiously, as they weren't always the most reliable pedals, so it's iffy to pick up a used one. but the tape and analog were legit, and the digital was nice to have. a man didn't need much more delay than that.

i want to say the rattler is a rat variant, right? think he's used several rat and rat like pedals over the years.
    Agreed on Echo Park. Only reason I sold mine (I had 2 over the years), is they had some kind of buffer that brightened the tone when switched on... back then, I was really anal about that stuff. But that format- single space, tap tempo, mod could be added if wanted, that voicing switch (analog, tape, digital) that worked on ALL the delays modes... the whole thing was simple and brilliant. I wish they would release it again, as an improved version (or I wish Strymon would make a copy: put there El Capistan, Brigadier, and a digital delay mode on a 3-way toggle, 2-knob mod.... something a little simpler than even their ElCap/Brigadier... I don't even need all the "deep" functions...)

Bill Frisell Gear-line-6-echo-park-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Squeezebox;
    Do you have the Flint? That´s on my list as well, even though Strymon seems pretty hyped at the moment. Judging by the demos it can get surprisingly ambient if necessary. I will probably get rid of my tremolo pedal and replace it with the Flint.
    yup. It's pretty old as digital pedals go, but it's good and useful enough to replace. I think it is better at bigger, more ambient reverbs than more realistic/normal offers, but that's me.

In a way, the echo park is a good comparison. If you want the basics covered extremely well, and figure $150 (or less) per effect, it's not a bad deal. If you want the meat and potatoes verb and trem flavors in one box, and have it be pretty simple (but with hidden features if you're into that), it's a really, solid choice. There might be pedals that surpass it in tone or versatility now, but not utility.

Mild pain to power, though. You have to use the included wall wart or get a juicy enough power supply to handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Agreed on Echo Park. Only reason I sold mine (I had 2 over the years), is they had some kind of buffer that brightened the tone when switched on... back then, I was really anal about that stuff. But that format- single space, tap tempo, mod could be added if wanted, that voicing switch (analog, tape, digital) that worked on ALL the delays modes... the whole thing was simple and brilliant. I wish they would release it again, as an improved version (or I wish Strymon would make a copy: put there El Capistan, Brigadier, and a digital delay mode on a 3-way toggle, 2-knob mod.... something a little simpler than even their ElCap/Brigadier... I don't even need all the "deep" functions...)
    yeah, that was my first "cool" pedal. I couldn't wait to show my band mates so I popped one of those 9v batteries with the cat on them from the 99 cent store and I maybe got three repeats out of it before the battery died.

It was my intro to delay and the basic flavors. I only moved past it to delve deeper into the individual flavors, but nothing ever surpassed its usefulness. Or value, really, giving you subdivisions and modulation and tap tempo and everything. Mine still exists but it's temperamental.

I'd be curious about an el cap, brigadier and dig in a box, if they kept it simple enough. I'm just not one for menus and tweaking. That has its place, but I do prefer simplicity and immediacy from a pedal.