The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 66 of 66

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by archtopdream63
    hi
    I mean the dynamic response, an amp that gives you back dynamically what your finger do...not linear, not hi-fi...
    I guess by “dynamic” you are looking for an amp that compresses and lightly distorts in a pleasant way as the volume increases. I like that characteristic too, but it’s not “dynamic range.” The degree of compression and distortion is a matter of taste. I don’t want much, which is why I’m most happy with a high powered tube amp.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    Ever consider the possibility that tube amps sound better than solid state, except in your mind, and it is entirely in your mind?
    And that is, after all, what counts.

User Info Menu

The Roland Cubes have a ‘dyna amp’ model which is supposed to react to picking dynamics, I assume it distorts more as you pick harder or something. Must admit I have never used it on mine, probably not something I need for the way I play jazz.

I mean I do use picking dynamics a bit (e.g. accenting one note in a line like Charlie Parker for example) but I don’t need the amp to do anything special with it.

Maybe I would investigate it if I was dabbling in fusion-type stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    I guess by “dynamic” you are looking for an amp that compresses and lightly distorts in a pleasant way as the volume increases. I like that characteristic too, but it’s not “dynamic range.” The degree of compression and distortion is a matter of taste. I don’t want much, which is why I’m most happy with a high powered tube amp.
    hi
    I mean dynamic....when you push during a gig, the amp gives you all clean notes and still have strong accent, like playing bebop with a good acoustic archtop.
    Some amps do, others don’t.

User Info Menu

I still have absolutely no idea what you mean by dynamic. I've tried, but I just can't get it.

User Info Menu

hi
    I mean dynamic....when you push during a gig, the amp gives you all clean notes and still have strong accent, like playing bebop with a good acoustic archtop.
    So what amps have you played that do and don’t?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I still have absolutely no idea what you mean by dynamic. I've tried, but I just can't get it.
    I think he means when you pick a note harder, the amp is very responsive to that and instantly produces a louder note and does not compress. At the same time it sounds like he doesn’t want it to distort or break up either, but stay clean.

Kind of makes sense to me, when I play bebop lines I often pick one note in the line (e.g. the highest note) quite a bit harder than the others, to get accents in the line like the way Charlie Parker would on sax. Maybe some amps don’t respond to this as much as others (I haven’t played through many amps so wouldn’t really know).

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    I think he means when you pick a note harder, the amp is very responsive to that and instantly produces a louder note and does not compress. At the same time it sounds like he doesn’t want it to distort or break up either, but stay clean.

Kind of makes sense to me, when I play bebop lines I often pick one note in the line (e.g. the highest note) quite a bit harder than the others, to get accents in the line like the way Charlie Parker would on sax. Maybe some amps don’t respond to this as much as others (I haven’t played through many amps so wouldn’t really know).
    you hit the spot!

User Info Menu

Then I'd say my AI Clarus, G-K MB200, and DV Mark Little Jazz all do that. My Fender Vibrolux Reverb, not so much.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    So what amps have you played that do and don’t?
    And are there recorded examples we could listen to (or is it just another "feel" thing that is completely subjective?!)?

User Info Menu

hi
    I think that a characteristic of some tube amps, called “sag” is what you are specifically not wanting. It can be designed out, but bear in mind that a remarkable number of rock players actively look for that characteristic. It manifests itself in a momentary hesitation when you try to really accent a note. The recovery is quick, and you will get that strong accent, but inherent tube compression might limit it, depending on the amp. That slight delay (sag) is audible and affects the way you approach the playing of that amp. It affects your string choices, pick choice, the way you approach single note solos, etc.

SS amps typically do not exhibit this sag. Some Mesa amps have the ability to switch between a tube or ss rectifier, noticeably changing the sag characteristic of the amp. As I said, it is not necessarily inherent to tube amps, as a circuit can be deliberately designed to minimize it or accept and accentuate it.

All that being said, I personally don’t hear it to the same degree some players apparently can. Maybe my choice of rig and playing style doesn’t really bring out the best in amp sag.

User Info Menu

hi
    thats clear ATDream ...
    ie amps that don’t compress when pushed hard ...

basically it’s basically BIG amps
    lots of speaker area , 2x12” twin reverbs , JC120 , 1x 15” bass rigs etc ...

User Info Menu

I'd bet a pretty large amount of money that no one could tell the difference between a similar tube and SS amp. If anyone was interested in the other side of this bet, I'd say the test should be done at any "name" NYC jazz club with people in the room and at least a bassist and drummer playing with the guitarist. Any tube aficionados interested in this wager?

User Info Menu

I wouldn't take the bet. I have a guess that there's a slight chance I could identify the tube amp against some solid state amps in an AB test with no changes in the EQ settings and no signal processing in front of the amp. But, I don't think I'd have much chance at all at identifying the tube amp if the EQ was changed from one presentation to the next.

When I did it at home with a Little Jazz and vintage Reverberocket, they sounded pretty much alike from the next room. EQ changes made more difference than switching amps. That was with reverb added by a pedalboard in front of the amps. The only way I could tell them apart was to play loud chords, at which point the LJ was cleaner - and I preferred it. The Reverberocket is now in the closet.

And, that was an 8" speaker against a 12". With the DV Mark 12 (same electronics, bigger speaker), presumably it might be even closer.

Caveat: my ears are as old as I am, which isn't good.

User Info Menu

I think it is good, considering the only alternative. I want to keep on getting older, for a long time. Old is better than dead.

I certainly wouldn't take the bet. I don't think even young ears can reliably tell the difference in a blindfold test, regardless of the opinion of many here.

User Info Menu

Another factor is hearing fatigue. I can listen to my tube hi-fi setup all day long. Wasn’t the case with any solid state setup I have ever had.