The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

Hi everyone. Somebody just offered me a Washburn J5 Jazz box for little money. I currently own a telecaster and have never owned a hollow body guitar before . Do any of you guys have any experience with this washburn model?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

without seeing the guitar and what kind of shape it's in, i can't really comment on it being "usable," but if you play it and everything seems to work properly and it's a good deal, i say why not? A deeper bodied hollow jazz guitar is a realy different animal and you might find yourself playing things on it that never occurred to you on the tele (well, and vice-versa also applies, but the jazzbox will be new to you)

i'm a big time tele jazz fan, but i love my godin kingpin, i i think every jazz player should have a hollow body as a possible color in the pallette.

User Info Menu

This is the same guitar am after, it's a full size jazz box. From what i hear it sounds like a good catch. I would go for it, play it see if it is for your taste.

@ Mr.Beaumont this is what it looks like. And I Think It's 17"

User Info Menu

I think a simillar model was also made by Oscar and Schmidt.

User Info Menu

Washburn has a good reputation for making comfortable playing, good sounding and reliable instruments.

If the neck and frets are ok:

Top of the bill archtop: no, but you don't pay for that either.
    Usuable archtop that can give you years of enyoing it: yes.

Of course, once you are hooked on archtops and try a good Gibson, Heritage or other top-quality brand you will understand why they cost so much more........ but for the coming years you should be fine with that Washburn
    Last edited by Little Jay; 06-15-2010 at 05:19 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Washburn has a good reputation for making comfortable playing, good sounding and reliable instruments.

If the neck and frets are ok:

Top of the bill archtop: no, but you don't pay for that either.
    Usuable archtop that can give you years of enyoing it: yes.

Of course, once you are hooked on archtops and try a good Gibson, Heritage or other top-quality brand you will understand why they cost so much more........ but for the coming years you should be fine with that Washburn
    I Don't like getting caught up in hardware but could you compare this instrument to a mid-range priced archtop. So I can truly understand your comment

User Info Menu

From what I have seen here on this and other forum is that Washburn is comparable or even somewhat more appreciated then Epiphone.

To be honest: I don't own a Washburn and have played a J3 (I think) a long time ago and I thought it was a fine instrument, comparable to Epiphone (i.e. their ES-175 copy) and Ibanez (AK85, AK95) indeed.

There is someone on this forum who owns a couple of them, so perhaps you could search for Washburn here!

User Info Menu

I According to the Washburn site I think the J5 is suppose to be better than the J3. I have posted a couple of threads on people's view of the J5 but no answer

User Info Menu

I had a J6 that looked like the one in the picture. It played and sounded great but I prefer the thinner (shallower ?) style body so now I have a Ibanez AS73. If you can get it at a good price I think it's worth it.

User Info Menu

The Washburn jazz boxes... ALL of them from the J3 on up to the J-15 are not only VERY "useable", but with a few modifications and adjustments, can be customized to meet almost any player's specific needs. Washburn guitars are much more consistent in quality and tone, than Epiphone and even some of the Ibanez I've played recently. And do NOT dismiss the big "W" tailpiece... some people have remarked on it being "gaudy", but I have replaced the "W" on one of my J-9's and the tone just died! Apparently the "Resophonic Tailpiece" as it is referred to, is just that. Make sure that it's not touching the top of the guitar, and it will really improve the sustain and tone of the instrument.

But while Washburn is one of the best current values out there, your best bet is one that was made in Korea or better yet, Japan. You can usually tell by the serial number. You can contact Washburn customer service to track down the history of the guitar, if possible. Or, leave it here and I can sometimes tell.

If you can find a 1980's J6 in good condition, you will have a very nice copy of a Gibson L5CES but with a rosewood fingerboard instead of ebony and a pressed top instead of carved, but at a fraction of the price.

My J-9's (below) are only 2" thick, but are full hollow and the same body shape. Both have been "customized" and both are professional-grade instruments that started out as "intermediate".

Get me photos and a serial number and I'll find out what I can for you.
    And be sure to try it before you buy it if you can. Take it to your luthier and see what he says about updating the pots and pups, etc...

The J9 on the left below has GFS Dream 90 pups, custom wiring and a top of the line Bigsby and custom pickguard... My "White Falcon Killer", as I call her...

Last edited by Squint; 06-15-2010 at 05:48 PM.

User Info Menu

Also, the HB15 and HB15C are tucked away with the hollowbodies, but are great Jazz acoustics!

See link;

Hollow Bodies | Electrics

User Info Menu

Mr.b hows the godin? Those are made in new hampshire right? I would like to get one some day

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzyjman
    Mr.b hows the godin? Those are made in new hampshire right? I would like to get one some day
    Still lovin' it--made in Canada. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me so we don't hijack this thread.

I got the J5 two months ago used (but pristine) for a very good price (Just under 2000 Danish kroner) including nice flight case. The finish and whole execution of this guitar is just amazing for the price. I have owned many good electric and acoustic guitars (My set-up now: Mesa Boogie studio 22 + Musicman Silhouette and Fender Stratocaster Jeff Beck Signature). Primarily a rock/blues player (not pro, but thought I was for some years way back ;-) my experience with archtops is close to none, but I completely lost my heart to this guitar. It is very easy to play, and has a lot of tone also played acousticly. Maybe I have been lucky with this particular box, but I would definitely say that it is a steal for the money.
    Chears
    Nik

User Info Menu

Welcome aboard, Nik!

What year is your J5? And please post some photos when you get a chance. We'd love to see your new baby!

Cheers!

-_- Squint

User Info Menu

No direct experience with the J5 specifically, but i won (ebay. shipping damage, had to return) a Washburn J10 / Orleans and was really really impressed with the quality of construction and how comfortable it was to play. I don't know what "little money" means to you but at $500 used on the J10 i felt like i had swindled someone.

User Info Menu

Yeah, J10's are sweet, but be careful with ones on eBay. I got one from a guy in Florida that was in horrible shape and needed a neck reset that the seller conveniently forgot to mention... Finally got my $ back but not until I had to get PayPay and eBay involved. What a jerk!

Always remember... CAVEAT EMPTOR! (Buyer Beware!)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Squint
    Yeah, J10's are sweet, but be careful with ones on eBay. I got one from a guy in Florida that was in horrible shape and needed a neck reset that the seller conveniently forgot to mention... Finally got my $ back but not until I had to get PayPay and eBay involved. What a jerk!

Always remember... CAVEAT EMPTOR! (Buyer Beware!)
    Wow, weird! For a guitar that young, it seems surprising.

For the J10 i won, there were loose scraps of wood inside the guitar, they were too large to have been the braces, but to this day it stumps me why someone would have put loose wood inside the guitar. They seller couldn't explain it (they were a pawn shop) so i decided to just play it safe. I kinda regret not just keeping it though since they are super hard to find and the price is going up.

J5 looks awesome. I would have no qualms buying one based on the quality of the J10 ... if it was truly "little money".

User Info Menu

Hello, i have 3 washburn hollow body i can buy second hand. Can you help me? First is 1991 j6, Corea. With hard case: 495 euro. The second one is j6s wes Montgomery bought in spain in 2007 s/n n04011151 with soft cover only: 480 euro. The third one is j10 orleans bougth in1999, with hard case: 600 euro. Thanks a lot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    ...i think every jazz player should have a hollow body as a possible color in the pallette.
    Not to sidetrack this thread, but I also feel that every guitar player should have classical guitar in their arsenal. I am by no means a great classical guitarist, but I feel that it does help spur creativity.

User Info Menu

I have the Washburn J600k. Replaced the junk electronics. Learned to call the finish glitches "character". Loved the neck after a fret level. Not much of an acoustic but better than some. The guitar is good enough for me. $700 all in. I'm happy.

User Info Menu

I bought a used J5 from a store in Santa Monics for my Jazz Band guitarist to use. ( I teach middle school band). It's an okay guitar. If it was to be my main guitar, I'd replace the pickups as mentioned above. I find the neck comfortable but the body is pretty big. Depending on your size, this could be uncomfortable.
    I also had a mishap with the input. Stepped on the cord and it ripped the whole plate( and some wood) out! Got it repaired but it doesn't get played much anymore. After playing my Eastman, it now feels more like a toy. Could work for you but all depends on what it costs you. Best of luck.

User Info Menu

Very few Washburns can even compare to an Eastman... But then again, I wouldn't buy an Eastman with the idea of customizing it...

User Info Menu

Not sure what the difference is, but I played a J6 a number of years ago and enjoyed it.

Looked like this one:

Washburn J5? Is it usable?-dv020_jpg_jumbo_514065-010_nat-jpg