The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

What would be a good "dark but clear" (!?) humbucker replacement for the neck position. I'm not sure if this is a reasonable request - something achievable within a pickup, but looking for a bit more compression, less bright: ala Adam Rogers/Rez Abassi. I say this knowing full well it's more than just the pickup, but just focusing on that aspect for now.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sounds like a well-adjusted Classic 57’. It’s not fancy and got its share of kinks and warts, but I always go back to that old workhorse for the sound you described.Wether it’s matter of getting used to and/or knowing what it does well enough to get what you want from it, it works for me and ton of others for the most part.

User Info Menu

Before Gibson started installing a "pickup of the month" into 335's the standard pickup that I associate with the 335 is the 57. That's a good place to start... and end.

User Info Menu

What do you have now? I use clear and bright to describe similar sparkle/articulation so I’m a bit hesitant to make a recommendation without a bit more information since you said you want it clear but less bright

User Info Menu

seth lovers are great, not dark, but perfect

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blille
    What do you have now? I use clear and bright to describe similar sparkle/articulation so I’m a bit hesitant to make a recommendation without a bit more information since you said you want it clear but less bright
    Right now I believe I have a Seymour Duncan 59 in there...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by arielcee
    Very helpful, thanks. The 59 is a great pickup but it’s scooped in the mids.

For something warmer (maybe darker in your words) but still articulate I would go for a SD Alnico Pro II. I used to have a 335 copy with one and loved it.

Also if you haven’t yet, try to raise the 59. You will get more volume but also more mids, which may help.

Finally, you can swap the magnet in your 59 from an A5 to an A2. It’s very simple to do. I have a 59 with an A2 in my “jazz tele” and love it. The change in tone is quite significant. If you’re crafty you can do the magnet swap without unwiring the pickup.
    Last edited by blille; 10-31-2019 at 12:11 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by patshep
    seth lovers are great, not dark, but perfect
    Seth Lovers are great too. They are unpotted so they will be more dynamic.

User Info Menu

I second the SD Alnico Pro II choice, great pickup. I find the Classic 57 too muddy.

User Info Menu

Lindy Frailin Pure PAF, i put these in my Sadowsky semi hollow, sounds great..Also he makes one called the Unbucker and i colil spilt them. i have those in my Robben Ford, chimmy, clear...really nice.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    I second the SD Alnico Pro II choice, great pickup. I find the Classic 57 too muddy.
    Curious statement there especially since most recent Gibsons 175 and L5 CES among other models not considered muddy came with 57s.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jorgemg1984
    Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    Curious statement there especially since most recent Gibsons 175 and L5 CES among other models not considered muddy came with 57s.
    Note how Jorge said it was his opinion. I happen to agree with him.

Your statement was presented as more factual even though 1) it’s still a matter of opinion, maybe you find the SD A2Pro too bright 2) the guitar not sounding muddy does not mean that a pickup is not muddy. eg the wood or other elements/settings may compensate for that. But it’s still a range and matter of opinion

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blille
    Note how Jorge said it was his opinion. I happen to agree with him.

Your statement was presented as more factual even though 1) it’s still a matter of opinion, maybe you find the SD A2Pro too bright 2) the guitar not sounding muddy does not mean that a pickup is not muddy. eg the wood or other elements/settings may compensate for that. But it’s still a range and matter of opinion
    Among other models not considered muddy is presented as factual?

No by a L-O-N-G stretch but I will say I know of none who summarily pulled the pups from an L5 or 175 for a Seymour Duncan. If I'm wrong name them.

User Info Menu

Too many options!!

I'd call Amalfitano- he'll take care of you!

User Info Menu

Among other models not considered muddy is presented as factual?

No by a L-O-N-G stretch but I will say I know of none who summarily pulled the pups from an L5 or 175 for a Seymour Duncan. If I'm wrong name them.
    Don’t want to derail the thread.

My point was that your previous post was still opinion but presented as fact (“not considered muddy”). Also the fact that a whole is X does not make any component in it X, it’s a whole to part fallacy.

User Info Menu

There are many great choices available especially used. But I'll mention a couple more.
    1. Manluis Landmark PAF
    2. Sheptone
    3. DiMarzio 36th Anniversary
    4. Gibson Burstbucker
    5. Wolfetone

User Info Menu

My personal choice for that sort of application is the DiMarzio 36th Anniversary but there are lots of great choices. Do you care if it's potted or not? Whether it an be split? Whether it's production or small shop?
    Last edited by Jim Soloway; 11-01-2019 at 11:58 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    My personal choice for that sort of applicationn is the DiMarzio 36th Anniversary but there are lots of great choices. Do you care if it's potted or not? Whether it an be split? Whether it's production or small shop?
    Thanks! Not really picky, Coil splitting isn't necessary either.

User Info Menu

The Di Marzio 36th Anniversary sounds great in my Soloway single 15” Gosling... (good choice Jim!)

Re: 335s... I lived with Classic ‘57 in my 2006 Gibson ES-335 and to MY ears it sounded a little muddy. Replaced it with a Lollar Imperial Low-Wind... significant improvement in my situation.

User Info Menu

Dimarzio 36th and Lollar Imperial Low wind are my two favorite neck humbuckers to date.

User Info Menu

I stayed out of this - I don't have a lot of exp. with "every" guitar, nor with "every" pickup, but,
    when guys say that they think the 57's are a bit "muddy" in the neck position, I jump up, tools in hand!
    My '57 RI Les Paul - with 57's - not exciting. I had some 57's laying around, so when I bought an Epiphone "Lucille", I put one into the neck slot. Muddy. So I went to a DeArmond GoldTone w. A5 magnets. That opened the guitar right up.
    Classic 57's ? Maybe yes, maybe no. Buy them (inexpensive) online and try them. YMMV. You may be happy with them, or, you may learn from them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by arielcee
    The '59 set is one of the best PAF-sounding p'ups there is; all you need is to tailor it to your liking.

This set takes magnet swaps so well, it's not even funny. Also, just as their expensive boutique counterparts, hitting the "sweet spot", will make or break their fundamental tone-footprint. And that difference might lie within a quarter-of-a-turn of the height screw.

In my case, I have an A3n/A2-modded, nickelsilver covered '59 set in my ES-339, which after a year of trial-and-error, turned out to be the perfect combination for the Smooth Jazz style of music I play with it.

My "sweet spot" settings are: 2.4mm for the bridge p'up and 3.5mm for the neck p'up, measures taken pressing the 1st and 6th strings on the last fret (22nd). I suggest you use it as a starting point for yours.

You can get good magnets in the Addiction-FX e-Bay shop. It'll set you back about ten bucks for a set, so no need to contact your Bank's manager for a second mortgage.

If you ask me, the '59 set sounds arguably "best" with the following mag sets, in no specific order; only the music style context being paramount:

*short-A4n/A4b (Vintage)
    *A3n/A2b (Jazzy/Bluesy)
    *A3n/OUA5b (Classic Rock/British Blues)
    *A4n/A8b (All kind of musical styles, although better in heavier styles)

You're welcome.