The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

Hi everyone!

I have some questions to the forum. What are the differences between DV Mark Jazz amps and Polytones? Tone stacks? What’s the right settings for flat EQ response on DV Mark Jazz amps?

I’m using a DV Mark Jazz 212 for gigs, but it’s hard to get the tone I’m looking for. My ambition is to get a classic Polytone sound. What amp settings are most useful in this case?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have the Mark 12. I love it sounds good and it was cheap. I just play it around the house so I can't help you with sound.

User Info Menu

The DV Mark amps are flat with the controls at 50%, or 12 o'clock. Lower than that and there is a cut, higher a boost. That's where I usually set my Little Jazz. Sometimes I roll off the treble just a touch, sometimes adjust the mid or bass just a little, but I seldom go very far from flat. I've never tried a 212, though. That's just more speaker area, and far less portability, than I need. But YMMV.

User Info Menu

I have the Little Jazz and I really like it.

I never liked Polytones much.

I only mention that to make the point that, at least to me, they don't sound alike.

User Info Menu

To me, the FEEL of a polytone is where the magic is. It’s a combination of a host of factors that boil down to old SS technology. It is somewhat like a tube rectified amp.

Im not familiar with the DV. If the problem is “things sound spikey” that could be a dynamic response (like I’m talking about above) issue rather than an EQ issue.

That being said

guitar vol and tone 8

b4 m8 t2-4

if you have a preamp gain, try it high and the master low, and the opposite, see which feels better.

good luck

User Info Menu

i'm a tube amp guy...but...so much of an amps tone is reliant on the speaker..its the final shade...and todays speakers tend to be more efficient, have more top end and are capable of handling higher power...old polytone era less efficient speakers wasted a lot of the amps power, were faster to break up (and blow!!) and more slow moving/reacting in general..speaker construction and ingredients/parts were way different...

perhaps you can try playing your amp thru different speakers and see if you're tone changes in a manner you prefer...just keep the impedance correct....

didn't polytones use low impedance speakers??... to maximize that old school solid state power!! hah

cheers

User Info Menu

I'll add my 2 cents. There are many valuables in this equation from venue,power, speaker,guitar and pickup choice,etc.
    But you will know right away if something is workable or not. For me the Quilter Aviator amps especially the 1&8" Combo are the answer for many type of gigs.
    But my ears may be different than yours.

I have been interested in DV Marks small amp heads, but Quilter has already met my needs.

User Info Menu

I’m using a DV Mark Jazz 212 for gigs, but it’s hard to get the tone I’m looking for.
    What is it about the DV Mark sound on gigs that you don't like? Compression, gain structure, sound colour? Still trying to decide if I should get one..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    What is it about the DV Mark sound on gigs that you don't like? Compression, gain structure, sound colour? Still trying to decide if I should get one..
    The sound have been too weak and thin on gigs. I tried the amp settings sgosnell suggested yesterday and now the sound is perfect. Before I started the thread I thought the DV Mark tone stack were based on a Fender-ish circuit for some reason. Therefore I’ve maximized the mids and minimized treble and bass in order to get a flat Polytone sound. Don’t do this mistake! You get an everlasting legato, that’s actually quite OK under the circumstances, but the sound in general is far too weak and thin. Set all EQ controls to around 12 o’clock and the sound is gorgeous. I really recommend the DV Mark Jazz amps, even though I’ve only played through the 212 version.

User Info Menu

That sounds similar to the Little Jazz, this is how I have mine:

DV Mark Jazz amps vs Polytones-d81fb41c-6cb9-487b-a2ad-f86ce387b05e-jpg

User Info Menu

I forgot to say that DV Mark Jazz amps sounds much more tube-like than other solid state amps. Does anyone have a similar opinion or am I wrong?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bbmaj7#5#9
    I forgot to say that DV Mark Jazz amps sounds much more tube-like than other solid state amps. Does anyone have a similar opinion or am I wrong?
    Yes, I think they are a very fine sounding amp. I typically put the controls at 5 or thereabouts as well. I like my Micro50 head most played through a 10" 4 Ohm speaker. It seems to get some punch from that 4 ohm speaker and really can approach the Polytone vibe.

User Info Menu

I cannot say you are wrong becuse I have limited experience with solid state amps. What I can say is that imo, the Little Jazz does not sound much like the various tube amps I have, boutique or vintage. And I like that, and use the LJ more than any of the others.

User Info Menu

Polytone always used linear volume potentiometers. Fender and others employ(ed) logarithmic volume pots. Consequently, a Fender amp gets loud very quickly on the volume scale. 4-5 is about full volume on a Fender. Louder just translates into more edge/distortion. On a Polytone, 4 is 40% power, 6 is 60% power, etc.Polytone used to advise: put the volume on about 75% power and adjust with the guitar. That always worked for me. You got a delicious sound, that way.On a Fender type amp, just put the volume on half, or a bit, and you get the same deal. Exception: the Showman amp used a linear volume pot. Always one of my favorite amps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    I saw you had more questions so I’m replying to them now. I feel DV Mark Jazz amps in general have a compressed and warm sound that reminds me of tube amps. If you want gain then this isn’t a right choice. Because of the solid state design they’re very clean, but still warm. You can use a pedal if you want distortion or overdrive. The only thing I’m missing with this amp is an effects loop. I’ve tried several times before to add some delay effects and it sounds good, but I think it would’ve been better if there was an effects loop in this amp.

User Info Menu

I saw you had more questions so I’m replying to them now. I feel DV Mark Jazz amps in general have a compressed and warm sound that reminds me of tube amps. If you want gain then this isn’t a right choice. Because of the solid state design they’re very clean, but still warm. You can use a pedal if you want distortion or overdrive. The only thing I’m missing with this amp is an effects loop. I’ve tried several times before to add some delay effects and it sounds good, but I think it would’ve been better if there was an effects loop in this amp.
    The DVMark Jazz head has the effects loop, but you loose the XLR out that the Little Jazz has. Same with the DVMark Micro 50. The earlier Micro50 had XLR out but no effects loop; the Micro50 II has the loop but no XLR.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    The DVMark Jazz head has the effects loop, but you loose the XLR out that the Little Jazz has. Same with the DVMark Micro 50. The earlier Micro50 had XLR out but no effects loop; the Micro50 II has the loop but no XLR.
    Sorry, I was talking about the combo versions.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    ...so much of an amps tone is reliant on the speaker..its the final shade...
    ^^^^
    THIS X 1,000,000!!

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    didn't polytones use low impedance speakers??... to maximize that old school solid state power!!
    4 ohm load when my 102D was working. It came with a CTS speaker.

User Info Menu

I use the LJ with the bass almost all the way off, treble a little down (11 o'clock on the dial) and mids at noon. Reverb at 9. Master at 1 or 2pm.

I compared it to my ancient Ampeg Reverberocket. The test involved feeding both amps with some reverb from a Boss ME80.

Under those conditions the two amps didn't sound all that different, which surprised me.

Changing EQ made more difference than switching from one amp to the other.

I now use the LJ in my own rehearsal room, as well as on smaller gigs -- and I have that Ampeg there, unused.

User Info Menu

in my opinion, modern ss amps plays colder than old polytones.
    henriksen, Dv, aer, peavy etc...
    they’re good amps, but cold.

My mini brute IV destroy all the new amps..
    I don’t like digital reverbs, I prefer the noisy 80’s reverb tank on my polytone!

User Info Menu

You haven't tried a Quilter Aviator amps !

User Info Menu

This is pretty good.

User Info Menu

This is pretty good.
    Eddie used to be very active on this forum and was a "founding" member of the Raney/Aebersold study group. I deeply miss him. He was a thoughtful, helpful guy who could play.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Eddie used to be very active on this forum and was a "founding" member of the Raney/Aebersold study group. I deeply miss him. He was a thoughtful, helpful guy who could play.
    Yesterday I saw one more video on Youtube where he played another standard. A great guitarist!

User Info Menu

His playing is great. His tone with the Epi and the Quilter are great, too. Thanks for posting the clip.