The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Walter Becker was Steely Dan's guitarist. I did not know he was a gear hoarder. I received his estate catalog of his instruments and amps. I've never seen anything like this. If you have an hour or two to kill, look through it.

The first 20 pages were fun. After that I started to feel sorry for him. Just the maintenance of the equipment must have been a full time job.

https://www.juliensauctions.com/auct..._Flipping_Book/

I got a copy of this because Walter and I got twin guitars a few years ago. His is shown of pages 6 and 163 and has a spruce top. Mine has a maple top.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

He had some killer amps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    Oops.

User Info Menu

probably just migrated off the front page.

User Info Menu

I wonder if any of the Gibson amps were the same models that Jim Hall and Johnny Smith used in the 60s.
    He had the:
    GA 20
    GA 40
    GA 50
    GA 9
    GA 8
    GA 50T
    GA 5
    GA 8T
    Did JH or JS use any of those?
    I also wonder if any of the combo amps he had are any good for jazz. He had amps that I know nothing about, but they have one 8' or 10", so they're not necessarily made for rock tones. He had the :
    Colby Li' Darlin"
    SWR Working Pro 10
    Peavey Blaze 1x8
    Peavey Audition 1x10
    Morgan AC-20 1x12
    Valve Train 205 Whipple Teddy kumpel Special
    Japanese Combo 1x12
    Premeire 120 Combo (1950s)
    Clallenger Alamo 1x10
    Carr Mini Mercury Model
    Echopark Clarence
    Invicta 5E3 Hi Power Deluxe
    Alamo Model 2 1x5
    Alamo 1x8
    Alamo 1x10
    Silvertone 1x8
    Medalist 133 1x8
    groove Tubes Soul-0 Single
    Tone Quest Clarksdale 1x12
    Louis Electric KR 1x12
    Supro 1x8

Are any of these jazz amps?

User Info Menu

Hall used a GA-50 forever until he switched to a Polytone.
    Bill Crow related a story of stopping by Jim's apartment to pick him up for a gig.
    Jim ran to the door w guitar and amp, but amp was still plugged in
    Oops....

User Info Menu

Thanks, I'll check that out. There's also a GA-50T, I wonder what the T means, transistorized?
    I saw Hall play the GA-50 when I was a kid. He got that very dark sound that sounded great when he used the drone on "Up, Up and Away".

User Info Menu

T = tremelo, otherwise same amp

User Info Menu

I've never seen anything remotely like this collection, or should I say oddball collection. It's like he had his own music store, and a big one at that.

User Info Menu

That's why this auction is so fascinating. Half of his stuff was blues-rock gear, and the other half was this weird stuff that had some type of fascination for him.
    His favorite type of music was hard bop, and they said in an article that he went out listening to Dexter Gordon.
    That's got to have something to do with stuff like all the old Gibson amps and other unusual gear.