The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

Ok so I have someone who wants to buy a guitar I have the Elferink but they live in Australia. I have shipped things all over the world but never a guitar of some value. It seems incredible high cost but asking the forum fellows what they do? It seems that UPS is will huge and Fedex even more, please help me out if you can? Feel free to PM if you don't want to post things in the open. I just have to make sure stuff is cover the guitar for sure, and that it is reasonably safe. The seller is paying but still it seems the prices are crazy. Help.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Your best bet is to have a FedEx account and call their “Great Rates” line. This department gives discounts, usually large on international shipping.

In my experience shipping internationally, FedEx is universally the best choice. Also, I have a friend who is a vintage dealer in Perth who says FedEx is by far the superior choice for shipping guitars into Australia. They are the most attentive there and broker customs the best.
    Last edited by ThatRhythmMan; 09-12-2019 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Share the recommendation with all

User Info Menu

USPS has box size limitations that probably make using them to ship an 18 inch Elferink impossible. I have shipped four guitars to Europe with USPS for a reasonable price (and all guitars arrived safely).

I shipped a Guild Benedetto to Austria (to a fellow member of this forum) and was unable to use USPS because of the size of the case (and therefore the box).

I used FedEx and it cost about $800 to ship the guitar from California to Austria.

User Info Menu

USPS is even more restricted by size now than they used to be. Shipping an archtop internationally is nearly impossible. FedEx will usually knock 70-80% off if you call the “great rates” line, but you absolutely have to have an account with them. It’s free to sign up for a FedEx account.

User Info Menu

Buy in the USA and UK, ship globally with Borderlinx is just one of many such services he can use. The cost is about 50% of what FedEx or UPS charges. Borderlinx uses DHL for large parcels. A 50"x20"x8" box has a volumetric weight of 58 pounds. I think they charge $6 for every 1 Kilogramme=2.2 pounds plus a base $10 fee to airfreight the parcel. Australia Customs fees are collected by Borderlinx on its behalf. It takes about 12 days from the time Borderlinx processes it to delivery at his door.

You got to work it out with him the agreement that your responsibility ends when it is delivered to his agent, Borderlinx, in Ohio. So, packing it damn well is a necessity. He has no way of knowing if the parcel is delivered damaged because Borderlinx does not offer an inspection service. He is fully responsible for the safe delivery of the parcel by Borderlinx himself.

First time Borderlinx users usually get a hefty discount so it may help him to use it the first time for a big parcel. If he is smart he can suss out the promos for himself.
    Last edited by Jabberwocky; 09-14-2019 at 04:22 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    Buy in the USA and UK, ship globally with Borderlinx is just one of many such services he can use. The cost is about 50% of what FedEx or UPS charges. Borderlinx uses DHL for large parcels. A 50"x20"x8" box has a volumetric weight of 58 pounds. I think they charge $6 a pound plus a base $10 fee to airfreight the parcel. Australia Customs fees are collected by Borderlinx on its behalf. It takes about 12 days from the time Borderlinx processes it to delivery at his door.

You got to work it out with him the agreement that your responsibility ends when it is delivered to his agent, Borderlinx, in Ohio. So, packing it damn well is a necessity. He has no way of knowing if the parcel is delivered damaged because Borderlinx does not offer an inspection service. He is fully responsible for the safe delivery of the parcel by Borderlinx himself.

First time Borderlinx users usually get a hefty discount so it may help him to use it the first time for a big parcel. If he is smart he can suss out the promos for himself.
    And then there's the EEI for commodities with a value over $ 2500.- which can be registered only by someone resident in the US. Actually i think the responsibility should not end before the guitar has left the US ....

User Info Menu

I've shipped to Australia. It was a signed Guild Benedetto Johnny Smith Award. The shipping was $350, shipped via FedEx "great rates."

1) you must have your own fedex membership. But it's free and takes less than 10 minutes to setup.

2) You have to ask for their "great rates" international shipping.

FedEx charges their flat rate, which is more than twice that amount. But while on with their Int'l representative ask to speak to their "great rates representative."

They'll transfer you to a "great rates" rep who'll quote you a much discounted rate while on the phone. That rate is locked in for a specific date. FedEx will even pick the guitar up, but I simply dropped it off at a local fedex pickup center.

User Info Menu

Here is the direct “great rates” number: (877) 463-7408

Praise the Lord I called the Fedex folks and got it all worked out. It is at least doable and approx the same price as 2bornot2bop. That was much better than the UPS quote of something over $700. Now of course I have to get the seller to respond and move forward.

The forum rules......what a wealth of information.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    Praise the Lord I called the Fedex folks and got it all worked out. It is at least doable and approx the same price as 2bornot2bop. That was much better than the UPS quote of something over $700. Now of course I have to get the seller to respond and move forward.

The forum rules......what a wealth of information.
    I inquired too, but unfortunately the fedex "great rates" apply only for US fedex accounts. I'm about to have a guitar shipped from NY to Switzerland and will have to pay close to $600 for that (It's not pleasing how unvavorably US enterprises treat "the rest of the world" :-((()

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzNote
    I inquired too, but unfortunately the fedex "great rates" apply only for US fedex accounts. I'm about to have a guitar shipped from NY to Switzerland and will have to pay close to $600 for that (It's not pleasing how unvavorably US enterprises treat "the rest of the world" :-((()
    It’s not ideal, but if you want to have it shipped to me from NY, I can forward it to you with my account. I’m sure there are many other solutions too.

User Info Menu

Great info about Fed X "great rates". I also have a Fed X account and will give them a call to inquire about International discounts.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk