The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

For more than a decade, I have been using a Clarus 2R (series III) and a Raezer’s Edge Stealth 10 cabinet for most gigs. I am extremely happy with my sound using this combination. I have a couple of upcoming gigs in larger venues and I am wondering if I would get better coverage if I connected two cabinets to the head (I also have a Stealth 12 and a Stealth 10ER). I like the idea of having two cabinets, several feet apart. There are two speakon connectors on the back of the head, and it says it needs 2 ohms minimum load. Each cabinet is 8 ohms. If I connect two, does that mean it will be a 4 ohm load? Will it be louder? What are the pros and cons of using two cabinets in this way?
    Thanks,
    Keith

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm not sure whether the second output changes the impedance of the load. I have used two cabinets from one Clarus, and it worked fine. AFAIK that's the point of having two outputs. The manual I have doesn't make clear how the output is divided between the two jacks, but as long as each cabinet is at least 4 ohms there should be no problem using two, because the minimum would then be 2 ohms, which is how the amp is rated. I really think each output is separate, and each will see the impedance of its individual cabinet. But I won't guarantee that - all I know for sure is that I've used two 8 ohm cabinets with no problems.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    Will it be louder? What are the pros and cons of using two cabinets in this way?
    Thanks,
    Keith
    It will be louder. If you put the 2 cabs together, it will be louder still, due to something called acoustic coupling. Cons? possibly overheating, if you run them near full output. But if you are sure that the amo will take a 2 ohm minimum load and the cabs are 8 ohm each, it shouldn't blow.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    For more than a decade, I have been using a Clarus 2R (series III) and a Raezer’s Edge Stealth 10 cabinet for most gigs. I am extremely happy with my sound using this combination. I have a couple of upcoming gigs in larger venues and I am wondering if I would get better coverage if I connected two cabinets to the head (I also have a Stealth 12 and a Stealth 10ER). I like the idea of having two cabinets, several feet apart. There are two speakon connectors on the back of the head, and it says it needs 2 ohms minimum load. Each cabinet is 8 ohms. If I connect two, does that mean it will be a 4 ohm load? Will it be louder? What are the pros and cons of using two cabinets in this way?
    Thanks,
    Keith
    I often use two RE Stealth10 cabinets with a clarus 2R and can think of only one con, you have to carry double the weigh. Sometimes i use two RE Stealth10s, sometimes one and a RE stealth10ER which is a little heavier. Soundwise it's a terrific combination both ways.

However, to reduce the low frequencies which seem to get reinforced more by using two cabinets, i usually put one of them on the ground (stage or whatever) and the other on a small stand, about 10 cm above ground tilted in a way that the speaker aims at me. When i don't have the stand with me i lean that one on a wall also tilted at me, which serves a similar purpose. Yes i think it will be 4 ohms, hooking up two of them generates a sound which is conceivably more fat & loud.

User Info Menu

Yes, two 8 Ohm cabs will = 4 Ohms total with that setup. You will be safe, and it will be louder, so go for it! Since you have several cabs, try different combinations to see what you like!

User Info Menu

Thanks for all of the helpful input. I will try using two cabinets and see how it sounds.
    Keith

User Info Menu

I contacted Rick Jones of Acoustic Image, and got this reply:
    The outputs are in parallel so they are simply two points of access to the same amp output. Connecting two 4 ohm cabs would result in 2 ohms, connecting an 8 ohm and a 4 ohm cab would result in 2.7 ohms.