The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Hi everyone, does anyone know of a luthier that will make me a proper authentic bridge for my 1968 Johnny Smith? It currently has a replacement rosewood bridge but I'd like an authentic wood ebony base bridge with the pearl inlays ... thanks to all in advance!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Contact Masaki-san of Walkin JP.

Timeline Photos

User Info Menu

Thank you!

User Info Menu

If the bowties are not important to you I would recommend that you contact Matt Cushman or Steve Holst.

User Info Menu

Or just buy a real one. I know a guy who has a couple of them in his box o' bridges.

I'd like to have a real one, problem is that I don't know of anyone who has one - if you ever hear of one available please let me know ...

User Info Menu

I’m sure you already know that there is one on eBay right now. Seems pretty expensive though. 1962 - 1975 Gibson Johnny Smith or L-5 Wooden Bridge Base Plate. | eBay
    Keith

Yeah I've seen that one - still keeping my eyes open, that one does look expensive.

User Info Menu

Joe's Vintage Guitars has them. I purchased one that I am quite satisfied with.

https://www.jvguitars.com/images/Arc...kel1200%20.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    Joe's Vintage Guitars has them. I purchased one that I am quite satisfied with.

https://www.jvguitars.com/images/Arc...kel1200%20.jpg
    the inlays don’t look exactly like the original Gibson ones.
    Keith

User Info Menu

I know a guy who has two of them. And he’ll be in Montreal later in September, so you could see them in person. Wait ... I’m that guy! How about that!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by floatingpickup
    I’m sure you already know that there is one on eBay right now. Seems pretty expensive though. 1962 - 1975 Gibson Johnny Smith or L-5 Wooden Bridge Base Plate. | eBay
    Keith
    So this bridge also fits a Gibson L5.
    Question: How does this bridge differ from the identical looking bridge base for a 70's Super 400? Am I wrong in assuming the Super 400 version would be wider? Anyone know the answer to this question? Thanks!

I'm pretty sure the Super 400 bridge is the same as for the L5, Johnny Smith etc.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrichman
    I'm pretty sure the Super 400 bridge is the same as for the L5, Johnny Smith etc.
    If that's true I have a Super 400 base that I'll give you, with the agreement that you'll return it if it doesn't meet your requirements. It's from a '73 Super 400. PM me if you're interested.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mrichman
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    If that's true I have a Super 400 base that I'll give you, with the agreement that you'll return it if it doesn't meet your requirements. It's from a '73 Super 400. PM me if you're interested.
    That's a way better deal than what I can do. Go for it!
    Last edited by Hammertone; 09-02-2019 at 10:54 PM.

User Info Menu

Heritage used similar saddles on some models as well. The Golden Eagle comes to mind. Knowing where to source similar replacements could come in handy for some of us. Good topic.