The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 48 of 48

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B
    It's basically a plywood body, with each layer stained a different colour. When the top gets carved, it exposes the layers like that.

The SG model referenced looks like;

Attachment 64658

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have been gigging these two a lot in the last couple of years. Never got any complaints ;-)

Last edited by ES125er; 08-29-2019 at 02:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Choose your Beatles bass!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Yeaaaaah, pretty much. Ol' Henry musta got into the good stash that day. O.o

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

A previous owner took liberties with my L-7.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    A previous owner took liberties with my L-7.
    The 2nd pic piques my curiosity, as it looks vaguely familiar.

Reissue RC1100 in to Schattens? Where is the jack mounted?

Here's mine;

Vivid-colored jazz guitars?-20190530_193946-jpg

User Info Menu

Vivid-colored jazz guitars?-img_3451-jpg

User Info Menu

The 2nd pic piques my curiosity, as it looks vaguely familiar.

Reissue RC1100 in to Schattens? Where is the jack mounted?
    Yes, a reissue & Schattens, but I installed a 1/4” endpin jack. Since the guitar is far from stock I figured adding an endpin jack would do no harm. I was disappointed with the result at first as the high strings were way too loud, but then I realized that side of the pickup was too close to the strings. Adding a felt shim between the pickguard and the pickup tab pushed that side of the pickup away from the strings and solved the problem.

The blonde top on yours is gorgeous.

User Info Menu

Yes, a reissue & Schattens, but I installed a 1/4” endpin jack. Since the guitar is far from stock I figured adding an endpin jack would do no harm. I was disappointed with the result at first as the high strings were way too loud, but then I realized that side of the pickup was too close to the strings. Adding a felt shim between the pickguard and the pickup tab pushed that side of the pickup away from the strings and solved the problem.

Thank you.

I'm still trying to dial in the string balance on mine. Haven't had time to really sit down with it. I had to drop the polepieces for the B and high E as low as I could get them and need to bring the others up. Thats why I went with the 1100 over the 1000 RI though...adjustable polepieces.

Mine is a '48. Here's a couple full pics of it.

Cheers!Vivid-colored jazz guitars?-20190505_114209-jpgVivid-colored jazz guitars?-20190505_115013-jpg

User Info Menu

Vivid-colored jazz guitars?-mmt-george-jpg

User Info Menu

I kinda wish I had the cojones to put in the end pin jack. I bought one (pictured above) but....

Something about drilling that kind of hole in a 70+ year old guitar kinda freaks me out...

User Info Menu

It's basically a plywood body, with each layer stained a different colour. When the top gets carved, it exposes the layers like that. The SG model referenced looks like;
    Attachment 64658
    The Zoot Suit models - there were several colour combinations, including a black/white version. I owned this one for five minutes (Brian Schultz at Avenue Guitars swapped in black plastic, gave me the clear plastic bits and bought the guitar from me for what I paid for it. He was a cool guy).
    Attached Images Attached Images Vivid-colored jazz guitars?-gib-sg-zootsuit-bw-jpg 

User Info Menu

Choose your Beatles bass!

These were a lot of fun. I brought a bunch into Canada:
    Attached Images Attached Images Vivid-colored jazz guitars?-hof-500-1-glbasses-candy-jpg 

User Info Menu

Also

Hofner did a few New Presidents in white, red, forest green, grey, violet, and more. Here are a couple more:
    Attached Images Attached Images Vivid-colored jazz guitars?-s-l1600-2-jpg Vivid-colored jazz guitars?-hutchins-h2-lefty-red-jpg 

User Info Menu

Hofner went crazy with colours at one point.

Yes, indeed. The "Gold Label" series was quite the spasm. More Chancellors:
    Attached Images Attached Images Vivid-colored jazz guitars?-hof-chancellor-nxxxxx-ces-4-colours-jpg 

User Info Menu

Not to leave out the Jazzica (the goldtop was done at the US Custom Shop, the others were done in Germany):
    Attached Images Attached Images Vivid-colored jazz guitars?-p1100855-jpg Vivid-colored jazz guitars?-img_1769-jpg Vivid-colored jazz guitars?-goldlabelhead-jpg Vivid-colored jazz guitars?-hof-cs-jazzica-gold-sbc2531-lo-jpg 

User Info Menu

I'm still trying to dial in the string balance on mine. Haven't had time to really sit down with it. I had to drop the polepieces for the B and high E as low as I could get them and need to bring the others up.
    If the E & B are still too loud, you might try lowering the treble side of the pickup a bit, as I mentioned earlier. The pickguard sets the height of that side of the pickup, but if the pickguard is a little too high you can add a spacer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Not to leave out the Jazzica (the goldtop was done at the US Custom Shop, the others were done in Germany):
    Nice! Those Hofners were made for this thread.

User Info Menu

Well my playing notwithstanding, this guitar gets more comments than any other I bring out for our jazz group. Never thought I’d want a red guitar, but this burst is beautiful, IMHO. Plays like a dream as well.

Vivid-colored jazz guitars?-2a53cd19-808d-4218-b401-1c23f69ac3e7-jpg

Vivid-colored jazz guitars?-8766f7a0-d583-4ad7-8fb7-2a281019671c-jpg

Now those multi-colored plywood guitars...as a woodworker, those offend my sense of taste. The only place to see plywood strips is on the edge of an amp.

Vivid-colored jazz guitars?-2cccfb2b-16bc-4027-8b07-9582c7c11bb7-jpg

User Info Menu

My only flashy guitar. I still think it's kinda classic, though. Melancon Pro Artist, hand made (and painted) by Gerard Melancon.

Vivid-colored jazz guitars?-b0835f50-717c-4015-ae40-928e98f1644c-jpg

User Info Menu

17" all maple laminated. 2.75" Rim depth.
    Vivid-colored jazz guitars?-chris-newton-rc-5-jpg

User Info Menu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Here's my rig used for an outdoor gig last week. A lightly salted (new tailpiece, MOP pickguard) Ibanez AFJ91 and an advanced TOOB 6.5 cab prototype powered by a TC Electronic BAM200 amp. Loaded with an Eminence Alphalite 6A (max. 100W), the cab and amp have a combined weight of 6.8 lbs. Absolutely public transit compatible. No problem cutting through three horns, a heavy-handed keyboardist and a loud electric bass. A sensible drummer would not have changed the situation, except by giving me some degrees of freedom outside the four-to-the-bar chunk-chunk.
    Attached Images Attached Images Vivid-colored jazz guitars?-toob-6-5-afj-91-jpg