The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 39

User Info Menu

This guitar arrived yesterday, and I put TI George Benson strings on, 14 for the first string, and lowered the action a little. I wanted a box that would have some acoustic attraction for me, which this does, while having a humbucker inset pickup. The sound board is carved spruce, with laminated maple back and sides. Ebony fingerboard. My plan is to replace the stock pickup with a CC-style pickup.

It's a gorgeous guitar, plays beautifully, and can be found at a great price - I paid £1,000, including great Eastman hard case. I prefer it over the 371 I had a few years ago.

So, here is an acoustic, unplugged performance of a piece by Hy White - you can read a little about Hy below.

Hy White is another of those great players from the late 30s through 50s who should be much better known to today's jazz aficionados. He played with the Woody Herman Orchestra (with whom he recorded River Bed Blues - see below), recorded with Coleman Hawkins and Ben Webster, pop singers Doris Day, Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra and others, and became the house guitarist on the Ed Sullivan Show for fifteen years. That's quite a CV!

I came across an edition of his solos, called "Guitar Digest by Hy White" which you can download HERE. The contents include a transcription of his great River Bed Blues with the Woody Herman Orchestra, which you can hear in this video:

While working on the Ed Sullivan Show, Hy was asked to fill out The Beatles' guitar parts, which weren't recorded too well. He laughs about becoming for a short time, the Fifth Beatle. He tells the story in this enjoyable video:

Last edited by Rob MacKillop; 08-18-2019 at 08:26 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Beautiful playing. I just bought that very same guitar, except in the alternate stain. I haven’t made any changes yet but the shop did toss in a set of TI flatwound GB strings (.012 to .053) which I’ll put on when I’ve worn out the set it came with (shouldn’t take long ;-). I did notice yesterday that plugged in, the balance between strings is a bit uneven - especially the G to B transition. I think that’s something that can be addressed by tweaking the individual poles in the pickup. I too am mesmerized by the acoustic tone of this guitar, which is so different from the Martin dreads which have been my primary guitars for decades. I had an Ibanez semi-hollow many, many years ago - very early in my learning - but this is really my first true archtop guitar. I also added a DV Mark Little Jazz to my setup and am totally enthralled with the plugged-in tone. I’m curious what make/model pickup you plan to install, and what improvement you anticipate in the tone. Also curious what mic you used for your lovely recording.

User Info Menu

I think your version comes with a Seth Lover humbucker, which is an upgrade on what mine has.

I like CC pickups, but am not trying to emulate the CC sound or style of playing, but there is something about the warmth and punch of a CC-style pickup that attracts me. Mine will come from The Creamery in England. The one-man operation is called Jaime, and he made a pickup for me before, a Fat Tele replacement which was excellent. Here's a link to the pickup: https://www.creamery-pickups.co.uk/c...cker-size.html Clearly he has not tried to emulate EXACTLY the early CC pickups, but I do like it when he says his research into his own CC was "a real labour of love", and the price of £80 is good. We shall see...

Mic for recording: Rode NT4 stereo. I've had it for 12 years without any problems. In the video it is off-screen, just ten inches from the lower bout.

Thanks to all those who gave a thumbs up.

User Info Menu

Congratulations Rob! Great playing too! Can't wait to hear it with a CC installed!

User Info Menu

Cheers, 2b. It will be two or three months, as Jaime has a backlog of orders. Everything is hand made by him. But I'm in no hurry.

User Info Menu

Rob, Any thoughts as to how the AR503CE compares to the Peerless Leela?

User Info Menu

Both great guitars for the money, Danielle. I really liked the Leela, but the 503 has more of an acoustic feel, which I like more. But I recommend both guitars.

User Info Menu

Looks like I have a twin sister. A bit more red in the finish, this one was called an Ice Tea Burst finish.
    Attached Images Attached Images Eastman AR503CE - Acoustic test - and Hy White-eastman-jpg 

User Info Menu

Lovely tune, lovely playing, and honestly one of the nicest acoustic tones I've heard from a guitar with a set humbucker.

Winner winner.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Both great guitars for the money, Danielle. I really liked the Leela, but the 503 has more of an acoustic feel, which I like more. But I recommend both guitars.
    I have the 503, but I am thinking perhaps the Leela might work better in a bar where the volumes are a little higher.

On the Leela do you find attack and sustain is reasonably consistent at all points on the neck? No obvious wonky notes? From pictures I have seen I get the impression the nut is a full 1 11/16 and not less than that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    From pictures I have seen I get the impression the nut is a full 1 11/16 and not less than that.
    Danielle, much like the Peerless Cremona, Monarch, and Imperial, the Leela too has a 1 11/16 nut width.

User Info Menu

Danielle, I sold my Leela, but do remember that it had a good neck, with no weak parts.

Fep - that's gorgeous too. I've not always been a fan of Eastman varnishes, but they got it right with our guitars.

Jeff - I've always respected your judgement, so: many thanks! It has enough of an acoustic tone to satisfy my yearning for that when it comes along. The electric sound, I can tweak.

User Info Menu

Happy NGD, Rob
    Nice playing as usual.
    Here is mine, it gets played unplugged 99% of the time
    Strange that I can't get the sound YOU get from this guitar. Must be the strings !
    Eastman AR503CE - Acoustic test - and Hy White-dsc_0018-jpg

User Info Menu

Nice guitar Rob. Eastman’s are fine instruments and they provide a nice acoustic / electric balance - and quite reasonably priced. Do enjoy !

User Info Menu

Looking good, 339. I can't get the sound you make, either.

User Info Menu

Cheers, QAman. I agree!

User Info Menu

As long as we’re sharing...
    Eastman AR503CE - Acoustic test - and Hy White-5f0c3ee6-87ae-499f-b925-c3072f25e4db-jpgEastman AR503CE - Acoustic test - and Hy White-5d655e3d-2abb-4f50-8ddf-b6061030bb26-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images Eastman AR503CE - Acoustic test - and Hy White-5a795e67-89de-4573-be7d-0e207b3818ff-jpg Eastman AR503CE - Acoustic test - and Hy White-865f4d09-c234-4ca5-bd6b-c61d6a8573ee-jpg 

User Info Menu

Is that the new one, with the Seth Lover humbucker?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Is that the new one, with the Seth Lover humbucker?
    It’s new - I’ve only owned it a couple weeks now. There was no documentation on the hang tags that detailed the components. The Eastman web site describes it as having a Seymour Duncan Seth Lover so I assume that’s what’s installed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lukmanohnz
    It’s new - I’ve only owned it a couple weeks now. There was no documentation on the hang tags that detailed the components. The Eastman web site describes it as having a Seymour Duncan Seth Lover so I assume that’s what’s installed.
    Your guitar is a beauty, my favorite of the ones I've seen. Is it a spruce top?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Your guitar is a beauty, my favorite of the ones I've seen. Is it a spruce top?
    Thanks! I am quite pleased with it. Yes, solid carved spruce top and laminated maple back and sides.

User Info Menu

That's a great sound, Rob. How loud would you say it is in the room? How does it compare to some of the true acoustic archtops you've played?

John

User Info Menu

That's a great sound, Rob. How loud would you say it is in the room? How does it compare to some of the true acoustic archtops you've played?

John

User Info Menu

Hi John. It's no Elferink, that's for sure. But it's loud enough, with a fairly wide dynamic range. It's not an acoustic guitar with a pickup, but it comes close.

User Info Menu

HNGD Rob!