The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 32 of 32

User Info Menu

I like both Dv Mark and Henriksen amps. The biggest differences for me are first, compression. The Dv Mark amps I've tried seem to have some compression on their sound no matter how you set them up, the Henriksen not. Second the price. Most Henriksen models today I find overpriced, whereas the Dv Mark amps have excellent pricing. I think the Henriksen sounds more natural, meaning closer to what you would expect coming from tube amps.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alter
    I like both Dv Mark and Henriksen amps. The biggest differences for me are first, compression. The Dv Mark amps I've tried seem to have some compression on their sound no matter how you set them up, the Henriksen not. Second the price. Most Henriksen models today I find overpriced, whereas the Dv Mark amps have excellent pricing. I think the Henriksen sounds more natural, meaning closer to what you would expect coming from tube amps.
    Wouldn't the "natural" sound of a guitar be what it sounds like direct into a PA or recording interface? If it's about what's coming through an amp (either tube or solid state) that is different from the direct sound, I would think that is by definition added coloring which is the exact opposite of "natural" sound.

User Info Menu

It depends on how you define natural. I used it above meaning tube-like sounding. I think the Henriksen excels at that, both in response and sound presence at gigs. If someone is after a sound akin to plugging direct, playing acoustic or using just an interface, i don't think neither the Henriksens nor the DV Marks are the way to go, but rather an acoustic type amp, and i would consider the Aer compact 60 king there. I would put the Dv Mark closer to the Polytone school of sound. But of course each brand has its own sound..

Personally i can happily gig with either a Henriksen (i've owned one for years, and it even was one of the first, arguably weaker ones) or a Dv Mark (which i don't own but use weekly, and have tried and heard in gigs), they are both great tools. A good thing is that they are quite popular too, so if unsure or if it's difficult to buy and return where you live, you can always find one used and flip it if you decide to go after something else.

User Info Menu

.....you can always find one used and flip it if you decide to go after something else.
    I only wish. Henriksen amplifiers rarely show up on the used market here.

User Info Menu

It depends on how you define natural. I used it above meaning tube-like sounding. I think the Henriksen excels at that, both in response and sound presence at gigs. If someone is after a sound akin to plugging direct, playing acoustic or using just an interface, i don't think neither the Henriksens nor the DV Marks are the way to go, but rather an acoustic type amp, and i would consider the Aer compact 60 king there. I would put the Dv Mark closer to the Polytone school of sound. But of course each brand has its own sound..

Personally i can happily gig with either a Henriksen (i've owned one for years, and it even was one of the first, arguably weaker ones) or a Dv Mark (which i don't own but use weekly, and have tried and heard in gigs), they are both great tools. A good thing is that they are quite popular too, so if unsure or if it's difficult to buy and return where you live, you can always find one used and flip it if you decide to go after something else.
    I believe that I know what you mean and I'm probably being pedantic but I really can't see how the word "natural" means a tube-like sound. Tube amps add enormous amounts of color to a guitar signal and different tubes and amp designs react in different ways. I suspect what you really me is that the Henriksen behaves in a manner similar to your expectations from a tube amp which is something very different. I'll also add that I've owned four Henriksen amps including a Bud and while I liked the way they sounded, they did not strike me as being especially tube-like. Ironically, I did think they sounded quite natural and uncolored, just not especially tube-like.

User Info Menu

Any one hear this one?

DV Mark AC 801P 60W 1x8 Acoustic Combo Guitar Amplifier | Guitar Center

Not sure if it is substantially different than the Little Jazz or essentially a Little Jazz with a cross over and tweeter added.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    I believe that I know what you mean and I'm probably being pedantic but I really can't see how the word "natural" means a tube-like sound. Tube amps add enormous amounts of color to a guitar signal and different tubes and amp designs react in different ways. I suspect what you really me is that the Henriksen behaves in a manner similar to your expectations from a tube amp which is something very different. I'll also add that I've owned four Henriksen amps including a Bud and while I liked the way they sounded, they did not strike me as being especially tube-like. Ironically, I did think they sounded quite natural and uncolored, just not especially tube-like.
    The Blu is warmer than the earlier iterations including vs. the Bud. The Blu really does have some of that tube warmth. Switching back and forth between my Blu and a very nicely dialed in Blues Junior (OK, not the greatest tube amp but if dialed in to match a guitar well then it can sound very good) using a laminate archtop, there was only a very slightly drop off in that warmth we normally associate with tube amps.