The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Posts 151 to 175 of 268

User Info Menu

That joint is indeed strange... can't imagine any reason to make it this way.

As for natural finish: to me ES guitars just look fabulous in blonde. I have a 335 and an Epi Riviera in natural finish.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    That's odd, there are always a half dozen in natural any given week for sale in natural here in the U.S. I much prefer natural to any other coloration, except a well executed burst like some Ibanez and Heritage gits.

One reason I like natural finishes is there's no hiding wood defects, or manufacturing "shortcuts". The natural 372 has a weird joint in the neck I've never seen before and it makes me wonder if other Eastman models (or other brands for that matter) have similar construction. Not that it's a deal breaker, the price point of the 372 is very good, a nice start on a project if it turns out that it needed some sonic tweaking.

Attachment 44008

I can't figure out what you guys are seeing that looks odd. Is it the length of the fret board extension piece? I find you can usually see that fretboard extension on most archtop guitars. Usually you can see a change in grain pattern, or slight change in the finish where the fret board extension goes into the heel.

User Info Menu

I never saw that joint in a natural or light colored 3 piece neck that goes so far into the heel. Under the FB? Sure, but not so B-I-G.

Here's the extension on my Ibanez AF-125

Eastman Jazz Guitar Recommendations-ibanez_fb_extension-jpg
    Last edited by GNAPPI; 07-15-2017 at 08:43 AM.

User Info Menu

On all of the archtops I have here including the Benedetto, the fret board extension piece does extend into the heel piece like that. When keeping the fret board extension clear of the guitar top, perhaps it has to go further into the heel to get enough support.

(On the Ibanez photo where the fretboard extension does not go far into the heel, it appears the fret board extension is making contact with the guitar top.)

User Info Menu

It's odd that Eastman didn't do a better job of color matching at that joint, but that seems to be the only defect.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    It's odd that Eastman didn't do a better job of color matching at that joint, but that seems to be the only defect.

Hard to match colours when it's only a clear coat. And if you try to match the natural colours of wood you won't know how the different pieces react to a clear coat...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KirkP
    I wouldn't call it a "defect" because it's been designed that way, and Danielle said she has other high end makes that are built the same way, I'll buy one and feel pretty confident there will not be any problems with it.

That pic does one thing for sure, reinforce my opinion that natural finishes can hide little. I like that.

User Info Menu

Checked with my dealer yesterday and he got in touch with the importer / distributor. Will arrive next week - then probably another week before I'll get it. My dealer usually does inspection, a final setup and string change before he ships out to customer.
    I can stand another two weeks but my fingers are-a-itching!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TOMMO
    Checked with my dealer yesterday and he got in touch with the importer / distributor. Will arrive next week - then probably another week before I'll get it. My dealer usually does inspection, a final setup and string change before he ships out to customer.
    I can stand another two weeks but my fingers are-a-itching!
    Which model and finish did you decide on?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    Which model and finish did you decide on?

Eastman Jazz Guitar Recommendations-ar-372-ce-bd-11245379-6-version-2-1-1200x1200-jpg

The AR372CE in natural. I always had a soft spot for the look of blonde ES models including the blonde ES 175 but wouldn't want to spend around 4.000 and more on a Gibson.
    Contrary to what the 2017 Eastman catalog says, natural is not a production finish so I had to put in a special order and I was given a waiting time of four to five months. Five months are over now...another two weeks and there'll be a NGD!
    Last edited by TOMMO; 08-11-2017 at 09:05 AM.

User Info Menu

A few of us have here have found the hardware on the threaded portion of the rod to be loose. Not sure if it comes loose during shipping. I suggest you make sure it's tight when you receive it. A loose nut there can create a rather irritating buzz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    A few of us have here have found the hardware on the threaded portion of the rod to be loose. Not sure if it comes loose during shipping. I suggest you make sure it's tight when you receive it. A loose nut there can create a rather irritating buzz.
    Thansk for the head's up - will check it. You're talking about the nut that's used to tighten/untighten the trussrod I take it?

User Info Menu

Thansk for the head's up - will check it. You're talking about the nut that's used to tighten/untighten the trussrod I take it?
    No, I am talking about that small diameter chrome finish rod that supports the pick guard.

User Info Menu

I play (sometimes) a PG1 Eastman. It's a great sounding guitar, looks amazing. I prefer the way my Gibson plays, only because I've been using 335 style axes 20 years now and just am not used to the 25 scale of the Eastman.

Ultimately I'm happy with the guitar. It certainly is very articulate and has a lot of character to it. They are expensive, especially for Eastman. I think however, it was worth the investment.

Eastmans are I think your best budget archtop, at least from what I've played.

You can hear the PG in a vid I posted in the Showcase forum if interested.

Eastman Jazz Guitar Recommendations-eastman-pg1-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Longways to Go
    Eastman can certainly make a very nice guitar. I had the 371, liked it at first but I tired of it's tone pretty quickly. Traded off for a Pisano AR380 which I have been enjoying for a couple of years now. The Pisano is a great sounding great playing guitar. Also, it has a different neck from the 371 -- not quite such a wide neck I think.
    I've been quite curious about the difference between these two models. Regarding the neck, is the 371 thicker as well as wider (so generally 'beefier')?

User Info Menu

None of my hollowbodies had Florentine cutaways (all Venetian) and after jonesing for a 175-type jazzbox I ended up with a '73 Greco. I love everything about it except the neck which is too skinny and thin for me. I now know that the later Greco's had beefier necks...oops.

It was almost an accident that I even got the guitar. I made what I was pretty sure was an insulting offer on the guitar which was on Reverb, AND in Japan (something else I have never done)! The guitar had apparently been listed for quite a while and the seller accepted my offer which shocked, and then worried me.

So I got it. It was in stellar shape aside from some binding cracks in the cutaway (stable), and the old Maxon pups sound very good, but the neck isn't my cup of tea. I'd LOVE to trade it for a similar guitar with a wider/fatter neck, but only if there was someone interested nearby SF Bay Area) so we could play each of them first.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rhythmisking
    I've been quite curious about the difference between these two models. Regarding the neck, is the 371 thicker as well as wider (so generally 'beefier')?

The guitars are hand made. I was at a road show where there were two new AR371CE guitars. The two necks felt substantially different. It's difficult to generalize based on trying one. I would have felt comfortable playing either one.

User Info Menu

I've told this elsewhere (maybe here) my childhood friend had an Aunt that worked in the Gretsch N.Y. plant and she said the thickness of the neck varied greatly based on how tired the neck shaper was before they sent it on to be finished. :-)

We used to get Gretsch stickers and put them on our Zim Gar guitars :-)
    Last edited by GNAPPI; 08-11-2017 at 06:32 PM.

User Info Menu

I have an Eastman PG1 and absolutely love it. Sound is great, light, well made and looks & plays like a dream.

User Info Menu

The AR372CE in natural. I always had a soft spot for the look of blonde ES models including the blonde ES 175 but wouldn't want to spend around 4.000 and more on a Gibson.
    Contrary to what the 2017 Eastman catalog says, natural is not a production finish so I had to put in a special order and I was given a waiting time of four to five months. Five months are over now...another two weeks and there'll be a NGD!
    Egads, that's almost like being pregnant, the wait must be nerve wracking! On the off chance the deal falls through had you considered ordering it from the U.S? They seem plentiful here in natural finish and shipping time should not be an issue?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    Egads, that's almost like being pregnant, the wait must be nerve wracking! On the off chance the deal falls through had you considered ordering it from the U.S? They seem plentiful here in natural finish and shipping time should not be an issue?
    Blondes are special order by dealers - that would mean I'd have to find a US dealer who has (or will) order some in blonde. Then you'll have shipping, customs, import VAT and the like and what if something's wrong with the guitar?
    Fingers crossed that mne will be a fine example....

User Info Menu

Update on my previous thoughts.

I had not owned an Eastman guitar, but today I received my first, a 2007 T165MX, which is a single cut with a Venetian cutaway. It's quite a looker.

The neck is very much like a 335's slim taper, the "root beer" colored bound body sides and back are carved mahogany, top is carved flame maple (bound "F" holes) and the bound neck/head is 3/5 piece mahogany with ebony FB like a Gibson 355, but with less conspicuous dot markers. Weight is 6lb 14 oz. about 1lb. 9 oz. lighter than most 335's I've weighed. Pups were replaced by the PO with Lindy Fralins. Funny, the body is totally hollow with a beautifully sculpted back portion that rises at the ~3"x4" maple block.

Fit is much like any custom shop I've handled, but the finish as has been reported here, has some issues. It seems to scratch and dent easily, no biggie it's not a $25k git.

It's setup with unknown flats, the action is fast and the Fralin's sound great. Acoustically it's as I'd expect louder than a 335 type git, and the warm acoustic influence on the electric sound is obvious. I never have considered Fralin pups before but I will in the future.

For a 10 year old guitar, it speaks well of Eastman. No warpage, neck FB or binding area shrinkage, no binding cracks or separation. Opinion... As a first Eastman I have to say, it will not be my last. This one definitely inspires more practice :-)

PS, I'm AMAZED that gits in this style (single cut semi's) are not more popular, and I'm totally mystified why Eastman Discontinued it.
    Last edited by GNAPPI; 08-24-2017 at 12:57 PM.

User Info Menu

Eastman Jazz Guitar Recommendations-ar372-blonde-jpg

Pic from my archtop dealer - should be here by friday!

User Info Menu

Hi Tommo, how about the 372, I hope it arrived fine and that you are enjoyn’ it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hagstrom
    Hi Tommo, how about the 372, I hope it arrived fine and that you are enjoyn’ it.
    Thanks for asking! Yes - received it a couple of months ago and it not only met my expectations but exceeded them. A very fine instrument - I enjoy it a lot!