The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 268

User Info Menu

Even when you find a store that has an page showing inventory, I would call ahead before traveling and distance. Those inventory pages are often not updated promptly after something is sold.

I suggest you check the gbase and reverb web sites.

Danielle

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have an AR371, it is a pretty damn good guitar, and for the price, it's ridiculous.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vintagelove
    I have an AR371, it is a pretty damn good guitar, and for the price, it's ridiculous.
    I've been looking at the 371 for quite awhile, it sure seems like a beauty!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by heymelbs
    I've been looking at the 371 for quite awhile, it sure seems like a beauty!
    I just got one for $625. It is my first archtop. I like it!

User Info Menu

I was at a shop playing a bunch of archtop guitars. Picked up an Eastman and it sounded great, felt great, played great. So I bought it.

It's really not very complicated.

User Info Menu

I like my AR810CE. I got it new for a very good price of $1550 cdn
    I changed the pickup and paid to have the frets leveled. They were pretty bad. The dealer sort of leveled them but I wanted them to be dead on. Now it is a great guitar. The profile of teh neck is pretty much perfect. If you like the current American Standard strats, you'll like this neck.

User Info Menu

My 371 has a great neck. It's a beautiful guitar, but somewhat uninspiring sound to me.
    I like but don't love it.

User Info Menu

I wasn't thrilled with the electric sound of my 85ce at first. 5 pickups later I settled on the floating full site PAF humbucker from Ken Armstrong and it was amazing. Still is; great sound. But yeah, I got an Eastman because it felt great, the neck was awesome and I had always wanted a fully carved acoustic archtop with a floater.

The 1 3/4" nut is a blessing and a curse. It is great but it makes me wish all guitars had that spread because when I switch guitars I sometimes will flub my picking from overshooting string distances.
    Last edited by rio; 04-20-2015 at 07:22 PM.

User Info Menu

I have bought a 371 from Foulds, and it is awaiting a Bare Knuckle Blue Note pickup swap. I should have it within a week.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    I have bought a 371 from Foulds, and it is awaiting a Bare Knuckle Blue Note pickup swap. I should have it within a week.
    Hi Rob

What made you choose the Blue Note over the Manhattan ? Are you particularly looking for the more scooped mid-range ?

User Info Menu

I could have gone for either one, and probably be equally happy. But people say the 371 is a little on the bright side, so hopefully the increased bass response of the Blue Note might compensate for that. The middle range is strong enough, though not as punchy as the Manhattan. Also, curiosity got the better of me - I don't know anyone who has a Blue Note in a 371, so I want to know what the sound is like. I'll share a soundfile or video once I'm up and running with it.

Funnily enough, Dan at Foulds recommended the Mule, while someone else at Foulds recommended the Stormy Monday - both very different pickups. You won't know until you try any given pickup on your guitar, through your amp, with your fingers. We shall see...

User Info Menu

Rob,
    If I recall correctly, you used to own a blue Eastman carved archtop of some sort, perhaps an 810. What led you to choose a laminate over the 810?

User Info Menu

Good for you, Kris.

Klatu, the 810 was a fine guitar, a bit too trebly for me as an acoustic, and I couldn't get on with the blue colour - I tried to convince myself it didn't matter, but I really didn't like it. I'm still on the lookout for an all-acoustic archtop, but am in no hurry. The 371 is, as far as my use of it is concerned, an electric guitar. I know it is not a Gibson, but that doesn't worry me too much, given the price.

By the way, one of my students has a 371, so I know what I'm likely to get.

User Info Menu

Ive owned several and every single one had a different neck profile. The QC varied tremendously on each also. The last one I bought was an El Rey 4 that turned out to have a crack in the top and the frets started pulling up after just a few weeks. I was lucky enough to sell the guitar to someone who happened to be at my luthiers shop when I went there to pick it up after having the top fixed which was covered under the warranty. I have a Jazz Elite 16" and an 805 currently that are exceptional playing guitars although the necks are a bit to thin for my liking. If you are planning on buying one, Id say really give it a tryout before laying out any $. Bob

User Info Menu

I bought an AR605 about a year ago. Not crazy about the red colour, but love the tone and find the neck one the most comfortable I've played. The nut seems to be a hair shy of 1.75" (1.73). Very resonant and responsive. I've tried flats with a tunomatic but currently prefer rounds with the stock rosewood bridge. Love practicing without having to plug in. I installed a floater on it and have no problems with it on gigs through an amp. Sometimes I find archtops can sound anemic, but not this one. Can't speak to their consistency. This is my only Eastman currently.

Eastman Jazz Guitar Recommendations-image-jpg
    Last edited by BigToe; 05-15-2015 at 01:48 AM.

User Info Menu

I've been thinking about getting a 605 - I really would like a completely acoustic, non cutaway. I wonder how it compares to The Loar 700?

User Info Menu

I've had an AR805CE and an AR580CE and haven't felt particularly inspired by either of them. Thinking of selling the 580.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    I've been thinking about getting a 605 - I really would like a completely acoustic, non cutaway. I wonder how it compares to The Loar 700?
    The mahogany back and sides of the 605 should make it warmer than the maple on the B&S of the 805.

User Info Menu

I purchased an AR 371 last year from Lou at Guitars n' Jazz. I love it. I love the tone of the stock pickup. It sounded even better when I put flats on it. I recently purchased a T386 off of eBay. It's similar to a 335. It's also a great guitar. My 371 is just for jazz. The 386 is very versatile. You can get what I think is a passable jazz tone all the way to screaming blues tones. Very happy with both guitars but the 371 is my go to guitar.
    This is the nicest guitar I've ever owned. I can only imagine how nice a Pisano model would be. I was a little put off at first that these instruments are from China, but I cannot afford a comparable Gibson. I now have no reservations or regrets.

User Info Menu

I agree with jsanta, the Eastman AR905-7 is a great, affordable 7 string that has a fine acoustic tone. I only plug in at lessons and it's just my teacher's preference. I'd like to try the 910-7 one day but I have been seriously thinking about a Comins 7th Ave or a Dale Unger American Dream 7 as the next step up. Then there's that $220 Chinese "335" 7 string on eBay; I've considered buying it just to see it and perhaps for use as a "sacrificial traveler" in a Reunion Blues gig bag. But I just got back from SF and PDX and no more plane side checking, so maybe not.

I would no hesitate in the purchase of any Eastman model. They seem to deliver a lot at a remarkably affordable price point.

User Info Menu

Hi big Mike, how does your last Mr. Wu guitar feels, it is already set up.? Greetings.

User Info Menu

Eastman Jazz Guitar Recommendations-qq-20160520162500-jpgEastman Jazz Guitar Recommendations-qq-20160520162451-jpg
    hagstrom,

You mean Blondie ?? Heck not two weeks after it got to Jersey I moved to the Chicago area, before I left Jersey I did have my techs replace the Mr Wu supplied hum bucker and wiring with a Duncan Seth Lover and new CTS pots and such - played it like 2 days when I wasn't packing stuff and trying to find new homes for animals and then had to pack it off to Chicago. Been pretty busy handling my late Mom's affairs and working thru a divorce. Do some playing. But the short answer is I LOVE IT... the neck is a little fatter on the shoulders than I like but if I play it a bit I get used to it. He's actually going to start working on another project for me - sort of a Byrdland but without the short scale in a cherry burst. Got new photos today from Miss Lora of the wood Mr Wu liked better than the first back plate I agreed on. It's pretty nice wood.

As I said I've been working thru a divorce and missing my Mom a lot lately. I'll be back on here more in a bit.

Big

User Info Menu

And to get this thread back on topic, I AM going to spring for one of those AR380s myself, I'm in love with a capital L the features and love the bursts and flamed out bodies I've seen for sale.

User Info Menu

So, you decide to resuscitate this 3 year old thread, to remind me that Eastman never did build a lefty for me.
    Lots of reassurance and hype.
    I'd still probably consider one, but I'd need to be convinced that they've solved their finish and neck instability issues.

Oh, YMMV, but it was my thread...

User Info Menu

"...solved their finish and neck instability issues"? Hmm. I have, er, several Eastmans (including the wonderful AR380), and I've not experienced any sort of thing like that. Zero issues, in fact. And, IIRC, the "finish issues" you're referring to were more like pre-2006-08, generally speaking, but certainly not in the past five-six years. In my experience, of course.

Sorry to realize that they've not come out with a lefty AR380 for you, though. That surely sucketh.