The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    Which is why i use an overdrive pedal. Overdrive pedals are good enough nowadays that you don't need a $27k dumble to get the dumble sound or an $8k tweed bassman either...I've found that a good pedal going into a clean tube amp sounds way better than a modeler modeling the actual breakup point on a dumble, tweed amp, plexi marshall, etc....
    OD pedals are quite good. I still almost always prefer amp gain. Then I add ODs on top of that. I'm not as big a fan of the "clean pedal platform" thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    Fundamentally, i use my tube amps as clean power devices. I'm never playing loud enough to get power tube distortion.
    I am... rock, not jazz, of course. (even blues, altho a LITTLE overdrive pedal into a clean amp does a great blues too.)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    OD pedals are quite good. I still almost always prefer amp gain. Then I add ODs on top of that. I'm not as big a fan of the "clean pedal platform" thing.
    Depends on what tone you're going for. If you're looking for a fusion tone ala robben ford, frank gambale, scott henderson, the clean platform works fine. I've also gotten great results getting jimi and clapton style sounds out of clean fender/marshall amps. The only area that is a total #fail IMO are tweed sounds. I've never heard an authentic tweed sound out of a clean amp platform.

User Info Menu

Well, I've been playing the BCA all afternoon, and am mightily impressed. It was against my Fender Supersonic 22. Had I been blindfolded, I doubt I could have told you which one was the tube amp, by tone OR FEEL. roland did a really good job on this one.

The true test will be at rehearsal next week.

Oh- and apparently, it IS a modeler, of sorts. Here is Roland's official description:

"The final result was Tube Logic – a marriage of solid-state analog technology and DSP that goes way beyond modelling, and enables the creation of amplifiers that exhibit the precise behaviour and tone of a vintage tube amplifier using modern, reliable, lightweight technology."

Here's the link.

The Roland Blues Cube Range Explained