The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

hello, Have anyone tried singlecoil sized humbucker on a strat neck with flatwound..im planning to do it with the sh57 duncan pup, and string it with flatwound.Im looking for a different jazz tone ,not the archtop paf trad tone but a warm and punchy one.. Plus i only have a strat right now and i have a project when a trad jazz tone type is required.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You might consider these, Fralin will custom wind to get you what you want. Give him a call.

Lindy Fralin Split Blade Pickups - Hum Free Single Coil Tone

DiMarzio makes some blade style strat pups - Strat | DiMarzio

There are others.

User Info Menu

EMG used to offer a stacked Strat-size humbucker in their Select line. I don't know if they're still available.

User Info Menu

Seymour Duncan lil '59 gets good reviews.

User Info Menu

One year old, but some descriptive info here:

4 Best Humbuckers for Strat Guitars | Amidio

User Info Menu

So just some thoughts about pickups. The wider the pickup aperture the bigger or fatter the actual tone. This is only part of the equation,along with scale length,bolt on vs set neck etc.
    I've tried a number of different type of pickups in the neck position of a Telecaster
    PAF, Mini Hum, Charlie Christian CC Rider, Various neck single coils and Blades.

I have always come back to a Bridge wound Mini Humbucking pickup for that position as my choice. Seems to still have enough lows,highs,and no hum. But also plays well with my other 2 pickups.

User Info Menu

Fender noiseless pickups also get good jazz tone:

User Info Menu

Thank you guys for your I fo and suggestions but Im from north east India and I have to buy everything online.
    I have a old 700 solid body variax without normal pup cavity. Although the electronic do not work anymore.it's made in Japan and the neck is very good.
    I ll order the sh57 neck (normal size) and 11 chrome flats.and go to our local luthier.
    It could take weeks.. I'll let you know how it sounds. Plus the variax undersaddle piezo still works and maybe Il add a push pull switch or something to blend the magnet pups with the piezo sound.
    I also installed a gk3 hex and run it to boss gp 10 on the old Variax. It sucks!

User Info Menu

I'll let u know how it sound as soon as possible.
    Here's me jamming on the variax with gk3 hex and gp10 boss. Like I've said the variax electronics don't work.. I wish I could find out which part is broken and replace it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    I'm happy with mine. I haven't compared it to any others.

User Info Menu

Kinman makes a bunch of different models. In my experience his pickups do exactly what he says they do and one of the characteristics is the reduced magnetic pull. That helps with feel and also reduces the tendency for unwanted and out of tune harmonics because of the magnetic pull of all three pickups whether they are on or off.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Plus 1 for the Lil' '59. Modeled on Billy Gibbons' Pearly Gates' PAFs, It's fat and sweet. Did my '66 Telecaster Custom a treat!

User Info Menu

Today decided to order little 59 for my strat and full size paf humbuker for the variax.. I'll update the sounds asap. Ty all for your advice and links.

User Info Menu

Seymour Duncan Cool Rails.

User Info Menu

great info , thanks all

User Info Menu

Bill Lawrence, affordable, beautiful tone, no noise.

Bill Lawrence Pickups – Bill and Becky Wilde Pickups

Used the guitar below equipped with a custom wound Bill Lawrence pickup for this:

Single coil size, but humbucker pickup for strat-37fdfaa0-a5ec-41cf-b8cf-12da9385c3db-jpg

Single coil size, but humbucker pickup for strat-03aa75d4-2c76-440d-81bf-d3a39c666949-jpg

User Info Menu

Beautiful rendition! Thanks for posting.

User Info Menu

Wonderful job enjoyed the playing!

Quote Originally Posted by BickertRules
    Bill Lawrence, affordable, beautiful tone, no noise.

Bill Lawrence Pickups – Bill and Becky Wilde Pickups

Used the guitar below equipped with a custom wound Bill Lawrence pickup for this:

Single coil size, but humbucker pickup for strat-37fdfaa0-a5ec-41cf-b8cf-12da9385c3db-jpg

Single coil size, but humbucker pickup for strat-03aa75d4-2c76-440d-81bf-d3a39c666949-jpg

User Info Menu

APG
    Bezszumowe – APG Pickups

Great pickups.
    Best
    Kris

User Info Menu

Stacked Hum Canceling Strat | DiMarzio

Lots of options here. I have Area-Ts in my latest Tele build and I really like them.

User Info Menu

I also really like the Bill Lawrence L280 stacked humbucker. I have one in my Strat (L280N) and one in my Telecaster (L280TN). I also really liked the Dimarzio area T pickups; I have never tried the Strat versions but I have a hunch I would probably like those too.

I wonder how the OP's guitar turned out?