The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

Fender is asking $7,500 for this new Tweed Deluxe amp. Apparently the cabinet is made from very special wood that has been seasoned for years by contact with the butts of Hollywood types:

Access to this page has been denied.

Really!

(edit: Don't know why it says access denied since the link works for me. If it does not work for you, go to sweetwater.com and search for:
    "Fender Custom Shop Front Row '57 Custom Deluxe")

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Link works; price doesn't!
    Looks like the cabinet is made from driftwood they found on the beach behind the factory (assuming there is a beach behind the factory)!

User Info Menu

one is born every minute. wow.

User Info Menu

They only need what, 5? ?? So a couple a decade might suffice ...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

No thanks. I'll wait for the Boss version.

User Info Menu

Uh, and who was wearing that grill cloth, and where?

User Info Menu

That's standard Fender grille cloth, comes on every Fender amp. One would think they could at least have hired a competent woodworker to do the work, though. I could do better than that with the tools I have in the garage, and they aren't much. If the price were a few hundred (and I do mean few) I might be interested. But for that, it's pretty much like the $100k archtop discussed on here earlier. Not no, but hell no.

User Info Menu

12 watts total power = no head room

User Info Menu

$100 amplifier, $7,499 hype.

Looks like wood from a 200 year old outhouse......pit.

User Info Menu

At least they should have associated it as the "Larry Carlton " Hitmaker Amp,lol!

User Info Menu

Come on folks. Clearly, the amp isn't for schlubs, like us. The five amps are aimed at the collector's market--particularly, for someone(s) who have some nostalgic connection with the old Hollywood Bowl amphitheater.

The 5e3 circuit in the amp, by the way, _does_ have adequate headroom at reasonable volumes...particularly with a good speaker like the Celestion Gold included. The circuit, in fact, is a marvelous tone generator. I have played archtops through this circuit for years and years. It sounds great. Moreover, the number of legendary jazz guitarists who recorded through the 5e3 Deluxe at Rudy Van Gelder's studio in New Jersey is legion. (Wes Montgomery and Grant Green come immediately to mind.)

As was mentioned above, Larry Carlton recorded his great work with Steely Dan, Joni Mitchell, etc., through the 5e3 Deluxe.

These amps will sell...just not to folks like us.

User Info Menu

A handwired amp made by skilled American craftsmen cannot be produced and marketed for $100. That said, $7500, even with special wood, is over the top. There are folks who have more disposable income than they know what to do with and so there are toys designed to give those folks something to brag about. This amp is one of those toys.

I would rather have this amp for far less money (and it does way more....):

Access to this page has been denied.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

You need two.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    One would think they could at least have hired a competent woodworker to do the work, though. I could do better than that with the tools I have in the garage, and they aren't much.
    For $7500 I expect solid dovetail joints and good planing. Looks like a splinter and infection waiting to happen. They ought to market it as “Original” to complete the advertising because they missed their market as bad as Gibson did.

User Info Menu

It's ghastly!!

User Info Menu

Greentone and Stringswinger are correct, these are marketed to the 1%, not us. For them, that's chump change, just a routine lunch bill. F. Scott Fitzgerald got it right, "the rich are very different from you and me".

User Info Menu

well, you can get a mint original for that much and it'll even have a tweed covering.
    but what do I know....

User Info Menu

I prefer pine...

,500 Fender Tweed Deluxe amp-0425181453-00-jpg
    ,500 Fender Tweed Deluxe amp-0428181348-00-jpg

User Info Menu

Hahahaha!

I made a pine cabinet for one of my amps myself. Before I covered it with tolex I took it to a rehearsal already, unfinished, to try it out. My band mates all burst out in laughter about the bare wood of my amp, suggesting I bought the cab at IKEA.... (they still call it my BILLY-amp ;-)

Can you imagine what they would do if they saw this amp? So I'll pass, I don't want to be the $7500 laughing stock......

User Info Menu

I prefer oak.

,500 Fender Tweed Deluxe amp-princeton-reverb-ii-1-jpg

User Info Menu

Hand wired is also a lot of PT Barnum hype.

Anyone with a schematic and basic soldering skills can "hand wire" a amp. I was 16 when I built my first hand wired tube amp in the mid 60's. Not at all hard.

After 39 years in industrial electronics I would never go back to tubes.

I know people that make and sell old style tube amps. They secretly have a good laugh every time they sell one.

User Info Menu

Hmm? I've got about the same time in as BBGuitar. Learned electronics back at the juncture of tube/transistor/IC technologies...early-70s.

BBGuitar is right. Anyone with enough knowledge and attention to detail to keep from self-electrocution can make a hand-wired amp. The iconic circuits are all out on the Internet.

Technology has certainly progressed far beyond tube technology. A well-designed, solid-state amp is a thing of beauty and is super reliable and efficient.

Still, for some applications with the guitar, I do prefer tube technology. Yes, they are impractical, inefficient (50-percent of the energy is dissipated as heat), etc. Yet, in the region of linearity they sound wonderful, and in the region of non-linearity they also sound wonderful.

It's a mature technology, though. I wouldn't waste any more of my time designing new tube circuits. Very nice circuits already exist.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BBGuitar
    Hand wired is also a lot of PT Barnum hype.

Anyone with a schematic and basic soldering skills can "hand wire" a amp. I was 16 when I built my first hand wired tube amp in the mid 60's. Not at all hard.

After 39 years in industrial electronics I would never go back to tubes.

I know people that make and sell old style tube amps. They secretly have a good laugh every time they sell one.
    I know people that make and sell old style tube amps also. And they don't laugh when they sell one, although they might enjoy a good laugh while they're building them, because they're happy to be doing it with friends, and for people that appreciate and respect the product of their endeavors. However, that $7,500 Deluxe might cause a laugh or two for the seller on the way to the bank to deposit the check!

User Info Menu

I sure know a lot of people that laugh when they get to play through one!