The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 92 of 92

User Info Menu

I had some (not a lot) of time to do a little test. I played a new etude of mine (on its way to being a lullaby with lyrics called Sometimes When We Dream) which I just recorded once using a DI clean. I then re-amped the track through both the Tomemasters using the 421 on both. While I was at it I did the same with my Amplified Nation ODR through an Ox Box with a single fender 12" but with a combo SM57 and 121. I am posting all three as Amps A,B and C. Got volumes close and EQ the same on the tonemasters with the ODR set to a similar set.

I have to send one back and I will keep the deluxe. Not because it sounds better to me at all, they both sound great not only in this test but when I'm playing my usual fare of original blues based songs. I kept the Deluxe for its fit in my front seat size. It's replacing the Blackstar St James EL 34 of the exact same weight. I'd I didn't have the ODR I'd have kept the twin (or both!) to have a clean channel with tons of headroom but the ODR covers that need. I'm really impressed with the tonemasters. I'm not showing off my playing to be sure and I'm starting a late in life journey on the path of jazz guitar, one that I am thrilled to be taking. Hope you like the composition though. Best....Peter
    Amp A Dropbox - Amp A.mp3 - Simplify your life

Amp B Dropbox - Amp B.mp3 - Simplify your life

Amp C https://www.dropbox.com/s/h4i4573ei9...p%20C.mp3?dl=0

don't ask how simplify your life appears, probably a drop box sales pitch, not bad advise I guess.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I like B for its clarity. C for its roundness. A is a little muffled.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rolijen
    I like B for its clarity. C for its roundness. A is a little muffled.
    It may not be a factor but A was slightly softer. I didn't match B or C exactly. Here's A outputted to an MP3 a bit louder.

Dropbox - A louder.mp3 - Simplify your life

User Info Menu

I'll hold off disclosing which amps are which....but....
    I didn't have the time to really dig in till today, I was preparing for a performance done on Sunday night and sleeping it off yesterday other than doing that test. I played them both for hours today, and well, a guy can change his mind. The Twin sounds better to me. It's more detailed and cleaner even at volume settings of 3. I really wanted to pick the deluxe, which is sonically very good but I really wanted the size and that was biasing me. The Twin is light enough to trade the extra effort for a tone I prefer. Another factor is I used to play some peddle steel, like 30 years ago and still have it. My wife has convinced me to get it out and I know at least I'll be getting a steel player in for recording. The Twin is an ideal amp for a peddle steel. I also have a tube preamp peddle coming that rather than distorting gives beautiful clean tones ala the steel string singer and I think it will pair better with the twin which won't break up when pushed. oh what the heck A=Deluxe, B=ODR, C=Twin. I agree it's "rounder".....Peter

User Info Menu

Very interesting! I thought A was a bit flat and lifeless. B was too bright and lacked body, and C was the best balanced (especially for jazz on an archtop). I could live with A if I had to, but C would be my clear choice all other things being equal. Did I overlook your telling us which guitar was used for this comparison?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woodstove
    I'll hold off disclosing which amps are which....but....
    I didn't have the time to really dig in till today, I was preparing for a performance done on Sunday night and sleeping it off yesterday other than doing that test. I played them both for hours today, and well, a guy can change his mind. The Twin sounds better to me. It's more detailed and cleaner even at volume settings of 3. I really wanted to pick the deluxe, which is sonically very good but I really wanted the size and that was biasing me. The Twin is light enough to trade the extra effort for a tone I prefer. Another factor is I used to play some peddle steel, like 30 years ago and still have it. My wife has convinced me to get it out and I know at least I'll be getting a steel player in for recording. The Twin is an ideal amp for a peddle steel. I also have a tube preamp peddle coming that rather than distorting gives beautiful clean tones ala the steel string singer and I think it will pair better with the twin which won't break up when pushed. oh what the heck A=Deluxe, B=ODR, C=Twin. I agree it's "rounder".....Peter

a Vibrolux Reverb is a happy medium, more headroom than a DR less weight than a TR

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Very interesting! I thought A was a bit flat and lifeless. B was too bright and lacked body, and C was the best balanced (especially for jazz on an archtop). I could live with A if I had to, but C would be my clear choice all other things being equal. Did I overlook your telling us which guitar was used for this comparison?
    Telecaster with TI flat wound 0.12s. I can get a much better jazz sound out of the overdrive reverb than you heard, I just didn't have the energy to dial it in rather concentrating on matching the twin and deluxe settings with each other. Of note, in general the deluxe was a bit louder both through its speakers and hotter in the sim outputs when set equally to the twin needing adjustment to match them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    a Vibrolux Reverb is a happy medium, more headroom than a DR less weight than a TR
    The Tome Master Twin Reverb only weighs 33lb, which is less than a Vibrolux Reverb!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    The Tome Master Twin Reverb only weighs 33lb, which is less than a Vibrolux Reverb!
    If only they would make a Tonemaster Vibrolux!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kevmoga
    If only they would make a Tonemaster Vibrolux!
    How about a Tone Master X head? The first knob lets you choose Champ, Princeton, Deluxe, Vibrolux, Super, Twin...

User Info Menu

How about a Tone Master X head? The first knob lets you choose Champ, Princeton, Deluxe, Vibrolux, Super, Twin...
    I'd be first in line.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I'd be first in line.
    They've been making that for ages -- that's what the Super Champ, Champion, and Mustang Series all are. The Tonemasters are an astonishing bit of marketing -- they put the software Fender has had for years into a box that looks like the real thing, limit it to one model per box, and sell it for 5 times what the more flexible non-look-alikes cost. Granted, the box (and speakers) actually matter when it comes to emulating a vintage amp accurately, and the Tonemasters do sound more authentic than those other series. But it's quite a trick.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    They've been making that for ages -- that's what the Super Champ, Champion, and Mustang Series all are. The Tonemasters are an astonishing bit of marketing -- they put the software Fender has had for years into a box that looks like the real thing, limit it to one model per box, and sell it for 5 times what the more flexible non-look-alikes cost. Granted, the box (and speakers) actually matter when it comes to emulating a vintage amp accurately, and the Tonemasters do sound more authentic than those other series. But it's quite a trick.
    Do they make a "head" version?

User Info Menu

Nope. And to the point of selling multiple modeling amps....I'm seriously considering keeping the DRTM as well. If I send it back I pay for shipping both ways which was free coming to me. So that's like $100. I can say the DR is costing $850 instead of $950!! Oh take pity. But the reason it's tempting is exactly because its a combo amp not a head and the grab and go nature of the deluxe is very attractive. Plus it is a great blues amp when dirt is a feature not a bug. BTW one reason to go with the Twin is to be a keyboard amp. For 50 years I've been a pro keyboardist and just got a new gig for this. Electric guitar is a (very) late life passion like as of 6 months ago. I've played acoustic for singer songwriting forever though.
    Last edited by Woodstove; 05-10-2023 at 12:15 PM.

User Info Menu

They made a head version of the Super Champ (not sure if they still do). Not the others, I think.

There are PCB pads for a switch that selects the model somewhere. I don't own one of these amps, so don't ask me where.

User Info Menu

Ok, just for fun and giggles. Here's another take. Played on an arch top (L4C with DeArmond) through Amp D. Besides a different guitar I'm playing more
    fluidly having learned my own song but I'm putting this up cause it's through the Deluxe with a gizmo in front. If anyone wants to hear what gizmo, ask!

Dropbox - Sometimes When We Dream D.mp3 - Simplify your life