The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Does anyone know anything about these? I've tried to do some research and haven't found that much info on them. Interesting looking electronics. I spoke to the seller and the only thing really turning me off is the nut width of 1 5/8ths. Any info or insight is much appreciated!

Odell Vega Archtop-screenshot_20190707-075946-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The great Laurindo Almeida used to play a 50s Vega electric that looked like that.

Vega was a Boston maker of banjos and guitars. Horns, too. Miles played a Vega.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    The great Laurindo Almeida used to play a 50s Vega electric that looked like that.

Vega was a Boston maker of banjos and guitars. Horns, too. Miles played a Vega.
    Thanks! Just looked up some pictures of him and saw a few shots of him with the guitar, but couldn't find any videos of him playing it. What's interesting is that he played classical guitars so much which I believe have very wide fretboards and then he is playing the Odell with a very narrow one.

User Info Menu

People are very accommodating creatures. I like a 1.75" fretboard at the nut, but for years I played a Fender Stratocaster with a "B-neck," i.e., a 1-5/8" nut width with no problems.

I suspect that Almeida, who played a 2" nut width classical neck, was similar.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greentone
    People are very accommodating creatures. I like a 1.75" fretboard at the nut, but for years I played a Fender Stratocaster with a "B-neck," i.e., a 1-5/8" nut width with no problems.

I suspect that Almeida, who played a 2" nut width classical neck, was similar.
    Good point! But with all the options he probably had, I wonder why he would go so far in the other direction?

User Info Menu

Wow, nobody with any experience with these?

User Info Menu

I had my hands on one a while back. Fun to look at and ponder over. I can't say that I was inspired by playing the guitar. But that's only my frame of reference... compared to the guitars I play regularly.
    I might have a photo... checking now.

Yes!

. Odell Vega Archtop-img_20190716_1650482-jpg