The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 36

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's listed as used, but mint. That bridge design looks really problematic. Nope, not me, not at 5% of the price.

User Info Menu

Gorgeous like a Monteleone but no guitar is worth that kind of money IMO. It is still only wood. $100K can buy you a house. Way more wood for the price.

User Info Menu

So for $100,000 I could own a number of Dangelico Guitars and D’Aquisto s.

Just answer that question and then you have determined this could be the most overpriced guitar on the Market.

or i could buy a Dangelico, Stromberg, L5, Super 400, Campellone, and a with money left over for amp, groceries, and real estate taxes.

How big does someone’s ego get?

User Info Menu

At least the shipping is free.

User Info Menu

I can hear the guy talking to his buddy: " Yeah, I know I priced it a little high, but hey, I only gotta sell one ! "
    Last edited by Dennis D; 06-27-2019 at 12:40 PM.

User Info Menu

His $65k model seems more reasonable to me...

User Info Menu

what, and no cutaway??

I'm out....

User Info Menu

The"EBONY is HIGHLY FIGURED"???

User Info Menu

String through bridge design (see the close up picture on the reverb page) would make the saddle/bridge want to move in a rocking motion like a flat top guitar. Achtops have different bridge design. They lie under strings with a more symmetrical angle which makes their motion up and down. The whole archtop notion is to counter that downward pressure. Arch adds structural strength against that pressure. So making an archtop guitar only to have rocking motion bridge design seems contradictory to me.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 06-27-2019 at 03:04 PM.

User Info Menu

I wish someone would send the maker all the post on this page. It actually is a turn off and for me would be a determining factor in never taking the builder serious.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by deacon Mark
    I wish someone would send the maker all the post on this page. It actually is a turn off and for me would be a determining factor in never taking the builder serious.
    go right ahead....

but seriously, it's not worth stirring up a hornet's nest. people can price anything as they wish, when it goes unsold they'll eventually get the message.

User Info Menu

He's in Bearsville. Which is like saying Woodstock.
    If you want to get back to the Garden, admission is not free.
    Anyway, it looks like an interesting guitar.
    I'd love to check it out.
    Maybe I'll pop by his shop when I visit the next Woodstock Invitational Show, in October of 2020.

User Info Menu

I checked all of my gits that sport ebony, alas, not one board inch is "highly figured" :-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    He's in Bearsville. Which is like saying Woodstock.

Maybe I'll pop by his shop when I visit the next Woodstock Invitational Show, in October of 2020.
    Please report back when you're there.

But by this time, I'm pretty sure the baby, attractively priced like it is, will be gone !

Oh ! And as you are there, please tell him that I'm gonna take 3 (three), but the second one has to be blue ....
    (or green ? I don't know)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    I checked all of my gits that sport ebony, alas, not one board inch is "highly figured" :-)
    About 90% of ebony is actually highy figured with a lot of streaks and swirls. For decades, because of the demand for all black ebony, most of that figured ebony was left on the forest floor to rot. Then as ebony supplies became more rare, they began harvesting more of the figured wood. Much of it gets dyed to look like black ebony but, thanks mostly to efforts by Bob Taylor, more and more of that figured ebony is finding its way into guitar construction with its natural appearance still intact. Functionally, it is just like black ebony and I think it's very beautiful. (A disclaimer: I have no idea if that's what this seller is refering to but it is becoming increasingly common)

User Info Menu

Figured ebony.

0,000+ NEW Archtop - Yikes!-taylorltdebonyback-800-jpg

User Info Menu

Nope - not a chance. Talk about the law of diminishing returns - this thing is the poster child for it. Could it possibly sound $95,000 better than a good L5 or Benedetto or Monteleone? I think not.....but......to each his own.

User Info Menu

Do they ever sell with these prices?

User Info Menu

It's an art project. Sculpture of a guitar practically.

User Info Menu

I think it's a very pretty guitar despite some quirky details.
    I love the oval hole design, but so many of the finishing touches look a bit "heavy"?
    Like for example the treatment of the sides and obviously the bridge.
    One is only left to wonder what this $108,000 guitar actually sounds like.

Hopefully better than a Strat . . . oh, but I digress . . . That would add another zero onto the price.

Meanwhile I'm considering a 2nd mortgage on my house to facilitate my purchase.
    ("the wife doesn't have to know !!!")
    and then that moment when I realize my house isn't worth the asking price on that guitar

User Info Menu

In a free market is that someone can ask whatever price they want for their goods or services. That doesn’t mean that anyone is going to pay for it. In the end, the free market will set the price (or Veblen effect will ).

I consider myself fairly educated regarding archtop luthiers, but know very little about luthier David Schneider beyond his own website’s self promotion. I also see guitars by John Monteleone and a few by Tom Ribbecke (more art pieces than instruments) priced in the stratosphere as well.

Fortunately, the market is comprised of competitor luthiers who make amazingly fine archtop guitars for < 10% to < 30% of what he charges for his Jimmy D derivative guitars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    Figured ebony.
    I looked pretty closely at his ebony and its not any ki d of figuring I've ever seen

User Info Menu

If anybody is considering spending the next 4-5 years hand building a very special archtop by using only a spoon or something in the hopes of selling it for a couple of hundred grands, hold it off for now. Let's how this one pans out first.

User Info Menu

I have seen streaked ebony - an upright that I used to have had a fingerboard that used it. I don’t know if that’s what they mean my figured ebony though. Can anyone see what they are talking about because it just looks like ebony to me. And at that point I don’t care how rare it is if I can’t even notice it, although I don’t care for flaming and figured woods at all and would rather have something plain.

As for the price, I would take issue with that writeup as it sounds like a writeup for some high end mail order catalog but I suppose at that price I would recover any other kind of item description. I imagine if it’s sold then it will live in a glass case because if people are afraid to play their 5k-15k dollar guitars they sure as hell aren’t going to be playing their 100k+ dollar guitars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro