The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 30

User Info Menu

Any thoughts or comments on this rare guitar from the 1970s?
    Lots of cool features. Came mostly in a goldtop.
    Low impendence pickups.
    Resistance selection knob.
    Two inputs.

1970s gibson les paul signature reviews - Bing video

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Played one of these years ago, not fond of most Norlin Era Gibson's. But you might find it different than muy taste. If I remember correctly you have a PRS JA15 guitar. I think that would be a way better choice.

User Info Menu

I had one for 20 years, but it's been gone for about that long now. Here's a modified version of what I wrote about it then (from my own archives, LOL):

The Les Paul Signature was, I believe, the only thin-line hollow-body Les Paul Gibson ever made, and it had definitely not been a hot seller. They only made them for 2 or 3 years in the early ‘70s. By the time I determined I wanted one, the model had already been discontinued. However, I was able to locate a used one in a music store in 1975 and purchased it for $375. I replaced the stock Klusons with Grovers, but otherwise it remained stock.

The Signature is an odd guitar in a lot of ways. Cosmetically, the guitar is much like an old Les Paul Standard, with metallic gold top, cream-colored pickguard and control plates and a bound rosewood fingerboard with trapezoidal pearl inlays. The body shape and construction are basically patterned after the ES-335 design. However, the double cutaways are asymmetrical - the bass-side cutaway is rounded and joined the body at the 16th fret (like on the ES-330 model), while the treble-side cutaway is standard Les Paul. Also, the solid center block is square rather than rectangular; it covers the area under the wide-travel ‘tune-o-matic’ bridge and ‘stop’ tailpiece but doesn’t extend further toward the end pin and the neck heel as it does in a 335. The neck is made of 3-piece laminated maple as opposed to the more typical mahogany. The electronics are a major departure from the norm, too. The two low-impedance Super Humbucking pickups are encased in cream colored plastic covers embossed with the Gibson logo surrounded by matching 4-way adjustable mounting rings. The control layout looks like the standard Les Paul setup, but it isn’t! It consists of a 3-way toggle switch for pickup selection, a master volume control, a master tone control, a phase switch, and an unusual 3-position level control (intended to enable ‘tuning’ the guitar to any amplifier - bass rolloff @ 50, 250 & 500 Hz). And the guitar has 2 output jacks! One is high impedance via an internal passive transformer for use with normal guitar amps, while the other is low impedance for simultaneous direct feed into a console.

The Les Paul Signature was far from a commercial success. And, in spite of its relative rarity, it’s not exactly a vintage collectable either, though it does seem to have recently garnered a certain cult status. But, I was quite fond of it - it looks pleasantly peculiar, feels like a 335, sounds like a ‘Straty’ Les Paul, sustains for days, and almost plays in tune! Do I still have it? No, I sold it to buy my 1st Tele. And, no, I no longer own a Tele either!

User Info Menu

I've always wanted one right from the day I first saw the Gibson advertisement in GP. I got to play one many years ago in L.A., tonally very peculiar but if you've ever played the original LP recording you have some idea where its going. Other than the totally unique pickups and wiring its pretty much a Norlin era 335.

The ones on reverb hovering around $3-4K seem a little optimistic but what-do-I-know? It may hold the honor of the most unwanted vintage LP.
    Last edited by ugarte; 06-12-2019 at 04:00 PM.

User Info Menu

I've always liked the overall asymmetrical body style, but nothing else.

If Gibson ever considered introducing an updated, more modern version of the LP Signature (PAF's, P90's, T.O.M. or ABR bridge), it could be an interesting instrument.

User Info Menu

How about $ 2600, free shipping, very good condition?

Quote Originally Posted by ugarte
    I've always wanted one right from the day I first saw the Gibson advertisement in GP. I got to play one many years ago in L.A., tonally very peculiar but if you've ever played the original LP recording you have some idea where its going. Other than the totally unique pickups and wiring its pretty much a Norlin era 335.

The ones on reverb hovering around $3-4K seem a little optimistic but what-do-I-know? It may hold the honor of the most unwanted vintage LP.

User Info Menu

I've never had the opportunity of playing one, but reading the specs by Tom Carol, it looks like one I definately consider buying. The square solid block and the laminated maple neck are winning arguments in my book. The low-impedance p'ups and the harness as it is are goners, though. Call me a heretic if you so wish, I don't mind at all!

User Info Menu

My dad played a gold top one from 1975 to 1986 when he retired from semi pro playing...
    Very versatile and superb sounding as I remember as a child and he was getting many comments from audience and fellow players about his good tone!
    It is just sad it got traded at our local music store for a Kawai keyboard in 1988 as his stupid son was not interested in playing with something not heavy metal enough
    An american enjoying vacation in the area at the time, bought it at the local store for 800$can!!
    That is the only regret I have when being asked about missing a gone instrument...
    Last edited by vinlander; 06-13-2019 at 06:06 AM. Reason: typo

User Info Menu

You hit the "nail on the head" with the type of music being played at the time. Loud and distorted. I attribute the lack of attention or popularity with that for this guitar. Les Paul was a genius some may say. But his "play it clean" message was over looked in those days. I recall reading a letter to the editor during the 70s from Guitar Player magazine with him imploring guitarists to clean.

Quote Originally Posted by vinlander
    My dad played a gold top one from 1975 to 1986 when he retired from semi pro playing...
    Very versatile and superb sounding as I remember as a child and he was getting many comments from audience and fellow players about his good tone!
    It is just sad it got traded at our local music store for a Kawai keyboard in 1988 as his stupid son was not interested in playing with something not heavy metal enough
    An american enjoying vacation in the area at the time, bought it at the local store for 800$can!!
    That is the only regret I have when being asked about missing a gone instrument...

User Info Menu

I found it! Here's the ad I recall seeing in Guitar Player Magazine c1972:
    Gibson Les Paul Signature From the '70s Looks like ES-335 Low impendance Pickups-original-gibson-ad-jpg

User Info Menu

Geez what an ad. What were they thinking with the face expression on that guitarist? The leisure suit I get. Either he sees his drug dealer or some supper hot groupie in the crowd, or both! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Karol
    Gibson Les Paul Signature From the '70s Looks like ES-335 Low impendance Pickups-original-gibson-ad-jpg

User Info Menu

"The new Les Paul signature is NOT intended for the beginner or occasional player."

User Info Menu

The prototype came out in 1972. Between 1972 and 1979 the made around 4000 of them. They came in the gold top and vintage burst finish. It's been reported that only 80-90 of vintage burst were made.

User Info Menu

That entire advertising campaign seems (today) to be about ridiculously dressed models with blissed-out expressions:

Gibson Les Paul Signature From the '70s Looks like ES-335 Low impendance Pickups-ads_best-damn-guitar-1974-jpg

I guess its cheaper than endorsements, but that's the one thing that might have possibly boosted the LP signature, I mean they probably sold a pile of L6S's just on Santana's endorsement.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat
    Geez what an ad...........The leisure suit I get........Lol
    I hate to nitpick, but that’s *not* a leisure suit. Trust me, I had to live through that painful period as a youth. Do a google image search for 70’s Leisure Suit to be taken back to that short-lived sorry-ass fashion.

And no, I did not own one - I refused.

User Info Menu

This is a very informative video about the Les Paul Signature guitar, from an enthusiast of this model.
    His playing is very basic and painful to listen to, but he claims the guitar would be perfect for clean jazz.

User Info Menu

I owned this guitar some years ago. I fell in love with the low impedance pickups. Also the resistor knob and the tones it could create. But It was in rough shape. I had the fretboard leveled with new frets.
    However, regardless of that investment I sold it.
    I had totally forgotten why I had did that. But people mentioning about changing out the electronics jogged my memory. Hey cut me a break I'm 61 years old. I barely remember what I had for breakfast. But any how why I sold it. The electronics. T
    Not knowing much about electronics, I assumed those associated with this guitar were very unique. So if owning one, and the electronics went bad I would be screwed.

User Info Menu

Can anyone think of an artist (besides Lester himself) who got on the low-impedance thing? Is any of that technology used by any other manufacturers now?

Maybe I'm mistaken (likely) but I always thought the main advantage would be going direct into a console.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I hate to nitpick, but that’s *not* a leisure suit. Trust me, I had to live through that painful period as a youth. Do a google image search for 70’s Leisure Suit to be taken back to that short-lived sorry-ass fashion.

And no, I did not own one - I refused.
    Here ya go. Note the squared-off lines, large squared pockets, and short lapels. Ugly, ugly, ugly. If you can catch some mid/late 70's shows like "Charlie's Angels," etc, you'll see lots of them. Thanks God the fad only lasted a few years.

Gibson Les Paul Signature From the '70s Looks like ES-335 Low impendance Pickups-leisure-suit-various-jpg
    Gibson Les Paul Signature From the '70s Looks like ES-335 Low impendance Pickups-bob-newhart-bad-look-1-jpg

User Info Menu

Can anyone think of an artist (besides Lester himself) who got on the low-impedance thing?
    The "biggest name" is Michael Ward, formerly of Jakob Dylan & The Wallflowers and now of Gogol Bordello. Also, the Jack Casady bass is an LPSig with one pickup and a 34" scale.

Is any of that technology used by any other manufacturers now?
    I've never played 'em but my understanding is that Lace Alumitones are a low-impedance 'wind' with a built-in transformer.

Maybe I'm mistaken (likely) but I always thought the main advantage would be going direct into a console.
    IMO the main advantage is that they sound different. The LPSig delivers multiple unique, actually-useful clean sounds. That is a true achievement.

[Don Pardo Voice] "In a world where his youthful invention birthed millions of clones, one man had the courage to strike out in a new direction . . . [/Pardo]

User Info Menu

Haven't tried a Les Paul Signature, but if it sounds like my Les Paul Recording (also has low impedance pickups), it would be a fine guitar for jazz. The Gibson low impedance pickups in my guitar sound more like like single coils, but the trebles are smoother than a strat or tele pickup for example, they're less 'peaky' sounding for want of a better word.

User Info Menu

Frank Zappa, 'Bobby Brown Goes Down'...."..so i went out and bought me a leisure suit, i jingle my change but i'm still kinda cute. Got a job doing radio promos and none of the the jocks can even tell i'm a homo. Eventually me and a friend sorta drifted along into S&M..."

haha

Seriously though, my brother had a genuine original Les Paul Signature guitar which he paid a lot of money for and which my sister sold for a shedload more after he died. His had a Les Paul signed paper sticker glued inside the body which one could easily read thru the upper F-slot (RH set-up). I've searched and i have never seen anyone else talk about this 'signature' where the origin of the name came from.Anyone got any further clues??

User Info Menu

I think they also made a bass version, not sure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I think they also made a bass version, not sure.
    Yup. Jack Casady (Hot Tuna) played one (? don't know what he actually plays nowadays), and there's an Epi Jack Casady bass based on it.

John

User Info Menu

Can anyone think of an artist (besides Lester himself) who got on the low-impedance thing? Is any of that technology used by any other manufacturers now?
    Gibson made a (prototype) es 355 for Tony Mottola with LPR low impedance pickups which he used to record his album "All The Way".

Billy Butler played a low impedance L5S for a while.

DG