The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Sorry to ask for what is probably an obvious answer to many of you, but I don't really understand the matching of 4 vs 8 ohms extension cabs to a given head or amp -- so before I screw something up, I thought I'd as you guys...

Can I connect a Raezer's Edge Twin 8 extension cab to a Henriksen Bud?

The Bud manual says: Any extension cabinet must be a minimum of 8 ohms and able to handle over 100 watts.

Regarding the Twin 8, Raezer's Edge says on their website: A practical advantage of the Twin-8 model is that its 4-ohm rating will allow many modern amplifiers to produce more volume (please check the rating on your amp!). It also states in specs that -- Power: 250 watts @ 8 ohms.

This confuses me since as noted earlier, I don't understand how speakers impedance works. I'd appreciate any help I can get. Thanks all!
    Last edited by archtopeddy; 05-22-2019 at 12:37 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It means just what it says--don't connect a cabinet that's under 8 Ohms, which the 4 Ohm T8 is. It's already driving an internal 8-Ohm speaker, so an 8-Ohm external means it's seeing a 4-Ohm load, but an external 4 would put it at 2.67 Ohms, which is lower than many amps can handle. The RE is not meant as an extension cabinet so much as main cabinet with a suitable head.

Speaker impedance specs are not exact, and can vary with frequency. It's possible that the Bud would be okay at low volumes, but even if it didn't actually blow up, there's a good chance it would shut down, assuming it has output protection ( I don't know if that's the case). Either way, not a good outcome.

Danny W.
    Last edited by Danny W.; 05-22-2019 at 12:48 AM.

User Info Menu

Ed,

Danny W. gives good advice. For a large venue, I use a Raezer's Edge Stealth 10ER (made by Rich Raezer himself, which I happened to buy on this forum from Danny W.) with my Blu. The 8 ohm cabinet works great and is a great fit with the Henriksen. But a 4 ohm Twin 8 could be a big problem. Do not do it!

I looked at the Raezer's Edge website and regarding the Twin 8, it says that it has 250 watts at 4 ohms. I think you read it wrong.

Twin 8 - Raezer's Edge

User Info Menu

Thanks Danny and Marc! That helps clear it up. I won't use the Twin 8 with my Bud.

And you're right Marc about the specs on the webpage you referenced. I was looking at a different page on the Raezers Edge website and it said both 4 and 8 ohms. That was partly what was causing my confusion.

Check it out. Here's the site. Weird huh?

Twin 8 - Raezer's Edge

(BTW, I received great advice from ya'll earlier about the Raezer's Edge NY8 so it looks like I will go back to that. I wanted to know about the Twin 8 because there's one here within an arm's reach for me to try...)
    Last edited by archtopeddy; 05-22-2019 at 12:43 AM.

User Info Menu

Eddy,
    Interesting -- not sure how you stumbled on that page; it's not the Twin-8 page linked from the "Products" or "Cabs" links??
    Must be an earlier version they need to delete ...

As mentioned, though, a good 8-Ohm cab works nicely with these amps. I've performed on my Blu with a couple different cabs -- including the NY8 -- and it's a considerable difference!

User Info Menu

You might be able to rewire the cab for 8 Ohms. Do you know the resistance of the speakers themselves?

Speaker Wiring Configurations

User Info Menu

Thanks for the idea Woody Sound but I think I'll stick with checking out the NY8. I actually like the size of the NY8 better and it's already properly configured for the Bud -- plus, there are lots of good comments about it here. As for the odd Raezers Edge website, I'll drop them an email so they are aware of it.

(UPDATE: I notified Raezers Edge and they changed the webpage immediately. Seems like good folks there.)

Thanks all!
    Last edited by archtopeddy; 05-22-2019 at 11:38 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    You might be able to rewire the cab for 8 Ohms. Do you know the resistance of the speakers themselves?

Speaker Wiring Configurations
    A two speaker cabinet at 4 Ohms either has a pair of 8 Ohm speakers wired in parallel or a pair of 2 Ohm speakers wired in series. The second possibility, 2 Ohm speakers, is unlikely, and sure enough, the speakers listed to be in the Raezer's Edge Twin 8 are the Eminence Alpha 8A, a 8 Ohm speaker. If you really wanted to, you could rewire them to be in series and that would result in a 16 Ohm load.

SS amps have a minimum Ohm requirement, but it's fine to go higher, although the amp will generate fewer output Watts.

Speaker Detail | Eminence Speaker

User Info Menu

Just don't go lower than the rated load with a solid-state amp. It's inviting problems with expensive components...although a well-designed amp like the Bud will probably shut itself down before it destroys itself.

A solid-state amp that wants to see an 8-ohm load, but runs into a 4-ohm load is going to experience thermal problems. The amp will run hot, which is a no-no for a solid-state power amp. You can damage your power supply and your power transistors.

As was mentioned, you can mismatch on the high side without problems, other than less amp output. I can't begin to tell you how many Polytone Mini Brute owners roached out the 4-ohm Eminence speaker in their amp back in the 80s and replaced them with 8-ohm speakers. The amps worked and sounded fine, but instantly became 45-50 watt combo amps, operating into that load. Most guys never noticed the difference. (I have seen my share of old Polytone amps with 8-ohm replacement speakers.)

User Info Menu

Lots of good info here. I knew I could count on your guys to get me straight. Thanks! I also think this info could be useful for others who may not fully understand these issues. Sharing info -- this is the best way to learn (vs blowing stuff up!)

User Info Menu

If you want to experiment, just disconnect one of the speakers in the RE.

Danny W.