The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 25 of 25

User Info Menu

Hi all,

I'm getting into jazz guitar and am looking for a semi/hollow. I have played many guitars the past few weeks, and I've come to the conclusion that the Ibanez necks feel the best for me. I've played Eastmans, Gibsons, Epiphones, Gretsch, Guild...

Currently I'm looking at a LGB30 Ibanez. The lower tier George Benson model. It's for 1399 CAD, I'm in Toronto.

Any other alternatives anyone would recommend? The neck on the GB10 Prestige feels like a glove with my left hand, but the tone is left to be desired.

I like the tone of the PM20 that I played, but I feel 1200CAD for the PM20 is too much. There was a some cosmetic flaws on the one I played.

I read somewhere someone recommended the AF105.

Also I've read a few things regarding the tailpiece. Is this still an issue on the models or I'd assume it was fixed?

The only other thing that concerns me are the saddles where the strings sit, don't look too secure.. any input on that?

Any others?! Thanks!
    Last edited by jaguarguitar; 08-12-2018 at 04:50 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaguarguitar
    Hi all,

I'm getting into jazz guitar and am looking for a semi/hollow. I have played many guitars the past few weeks, and I've come to the conclusion that the Ibanez necks feel the best for me. I've played Eastmans, Gibsons, Epiphones, Gretsch, Guild...

Currently I'm looking at a LGB30 Ibanez. The lower tier George Benson model. It's for 1399 CAD, I'm in Toronto.

Any other alternatives anyone would recommend? The neck on the GB10 Prestige feels like a glove with my left hand, but the tone is left to be desired.

I like the tone of the PM20 that I played, but I feel 1200CAD for the PM20 is too much. There was a some cosmetic flaws on the one I played.

I read somewhere someone recommended the AF105.

Also I've read a few things regarding the tailpiece. Is this still an issue on the models or I'd assume it was fixed?

The only other thing that concerns me are the saddles where the strings sit, don't look too secure.. any input on that?

Any others?! Thanks!
    I also live in Toronto. Check out Epiphone and Ibanez Guitars. Great for getting you into Jazz.

Contact me if you want to talk Guitars in Toronto. It’s my favourite topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I’m not sure where the used market is right now on these but a PM100 would be right up your alley I think. It has the most comfortable neck (tied with my ‘70 L5) I’ve ever played, sounds fantastic, great build quality and everything else you’d ask for. It out-175’ed my actual 175 which I ended up selling and also has the bonus of that small extra cutaway for fantastic high fret playability, which is hard to find on an archtop.

I think I got mine for 1600 USD but I saw a good one and jumped on it. Looking at sales trends there were certainly lower priced ones being sold so if you keep an eye out you might find one close to your price point.

If it is a well taken care of guitar I would go used for sure unless you have a specific reason not to. Ibanez builds great guitars and it isn’t like playing roulette with Gibson in terms of if you will get a good one or not so I think it is one of the safer guitar brands to buy used.

Edit: also the PM120 if you want two pickups and a smaller body.

I just did a quick google search and it looks like prices are up compared to last year. There are some results around your price point from a couple of years ago.

Actually I just searched for how much Canadian dollars are worth and it looks like this is not good advice - I didn’t realize the conversion rate.

You might want to check out the Ibanez Contemporary Archtop. Great neck, price is lower, quality approaching Japanese made Ibanez guitars. Here’s a demo and review I did of mine after getting it. They are nice guitars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

User Info Menu

All fine options but I second the suggestion of a used PM100

User Info Menu

Philip Catherine is playing a Godin Composer. Might be easier to find a Godin at an attractive price in Canada.

User Info Menu

If you cand find a second hand Ibanez AM73 am73 - Google Search .... I've one for my students. It's an amazing low cost guitar.
    Last edited by Pierrot; 08-14-2018 at 04:52 AM.

User Info Menu

I am a little confused by this thread. Although the OP says the target instrument is semi hollow, it seems to me most of the guitars being discussed are hollow body guitars.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DanielleOM
    I am a little confused by this thread. Although the OP says the target instrument is semi hollow, it seems to me most of the guitars being discussed are hollow body guitars.
    He wrote semi/hollow....

So it's possible to understand semi OR hollow.

Hi all still no trigger pulled.

I almost got the Ibanez AkJV95 artcore expressionist vintage. The newer model doesnt have the lame dings. But the QC seems not so great and the action seemed a bit high unusual for an Ibanez.

I came across a guy who put on hold a LBG40 in yellow beautiful guitar. We started talking turns out hes a collector and invited me to his house to jam. He mentioned he has an L4 style guitar and a couple others so ill check them out tomorrow. Also mentioned a polytone amp?

I like the LBG40 it sounded good. But as this new friend said they dont compare to the japanese ibanez. I played a japanese gb10 a month ago and that thing felt a lot better then another gb10 they had that was newer and made in china.

I think it was the prestige series gb10 but i didnt pull the trigger cuz i didnt like the tone out of the amp so i thought the pickups were crapy. It was 2k which may have been a good buy. But i heard things abput binding rot. So stayed away.

If the guy doesnt have anything i like i might go for the pm120 or 100 if i can find it. Theres something that doesnt feel right about on top mounted pickups and super 58s would be nice.

Ibanez GB10, LBG30, or PM120 alternatives?-20180901_160100-jpg

As an example here u see the binding around the fingerboard is cracked

User Info Menu

Do you want a guitar or a pretty object? Seriously, close your eyes - choose by sound and feel. Cracked binding is utterly irrelevant. Priorities.

I want both. My reason in posting the crack was because I was not sure if it would be a bigger issue down the line - someone else may be more knowledge about stuff like that here which is why I posted it. If I'm laying down 1500$ I'd rather not something cracked.

Anyhow, I found a MIJ 1986 GB10 for 2k CAD - want to see if I can swing it down in price a bit - in very good shape. I'm also looking at the GB40 MIC -- very nice.

User Info Menu

Having just purchased a MIJ 1990 GB10 in Excellent condition for about 2k CAD, and being someone who owns both laminate and solid archtops made by top luthiers, I say you should strongly consider the GB10 provided the condition is not problematic. You should be able to get a good tone out of the neck pup provided you're running at least 11's or 12's for strings and roll back the volume and tone a bit.

thanks! im going back there to try it out again

User Info Menu

I think you mentioned that you liked the Ibanez PM20 but it was out of your budget, there's a nice used one on Ebay for $800 and a used PM2 on Reverb for $760 !!!

Ibanez PM20NT Pat Metheny Signature Model Guitar with case '97-'99 | eBay

Ibanez PM2-AA Pat Matheny Signature Hollowbody Electric | Reverb

Cheers,
    Arnie..

Thanks Arnie! I checked it out but here in CAD + shipping its about 1400$

I'm probably going to go for the AKJV95, its a good price and has a similar neck. Might have them bring in a new one from their warehouse in cleaner shape.

Long time took a break in my search.

Now ive got it down to two:
    - found a used pm2aa in mint condition for 1100$CAD
    - afc 155 in burst blue for $1150 CAD

Tough choice. I actually really like the magic mini pups on the afc they sound lovely rich and very unique! Almost like there is an octaver on the neck position.

Both guitars are on sale. the neck on the pm2aa
    Feels more pro as in less movement in the strings but maybethey were a heavier gauge. Unfortunately it didnt have the flatwounds like the afc 155.

Pm2aa for novelty and great neck
    Or afc 155 for tone and more versatility with two pups. Not a huge fan of ibanez afc paintjobs. Blue burst looks really good but i absolutely hate the black trim and gold hardware but that is not a deal breaker for me.

User Info Menu

This PM2AA sounds pretty nice!

ahhhh man. i almost bought the used pm2aa yesterday, but after playing it some more (i couldnt hear myself the first time cuz metal players had their amp cranked at the store!), i noticed huge fret buzzing.

the store rep said he would have his tech see if it could be fixed with a setup, the buzzing was very noticeable around 10th 11th fret for the a string and e string i believe. not sure a setup could fix that, but we'll see.

the afc is really nice, but the action was too high. they said they'll also see if the action could be lowered cleanly. so more of a waiting game now.

i would buy a new pm2aa, but in canada apparently they are backordered until february 2019!

User Info Menu

FYI, i just listed a used PM120 in the forsale section

User Info Menu

The GB 10 really is different from the PM models. You might want to try it. It's obviously smaller. The ones I have played have a very jazzy vibe on the neck pickup that is quite beboppy.

User Info Menu

I have never played the PM models, but my GB10 is the one archtop I would keep above all else, in spite of playing my 175 and L5 more often. It simply does so many things really well. Absolutely the best neck I have, as well, and probably the most stable. Also seem to be very consistent from guitar to guitar. I bet you won’t be disappointed!

Out of interest, where do you live?

User Info Menu

Probably the biggest reason I don’t play mine more ofte, is because I’m 6’ 4” and it is a smaller body, as you know. Other than that, it’s a great guitar.

User Info Menu

I have had my GB10 since 1986; I bought it used and it was a 1981 model. It is a wonderful guitar. I don't use it much as the sound I am interested in these days is different, but whenever I pull it out by immediate reaction is "hello old friend."

Listening to George Benson play one gives you a pretty good idea of what they sound like. I think Jack Zucker has a video or two of him playing one and there are certainly many other options on YouTube for hearing them that will give you an idea for the sound. As has been already noted, the neck on those guitars are absolutely superb as is the stability of the instrument. It will stay in tune for months in its case. As a gigging instrument it is small and portable which is quite handy. The older natural finished ones sometimes have an unfortunate reaction between the binding in the finish that causes a golden brown discoloration; my guitar has a little bit of that happening. I now keep it in the case when not using it on the possibility that ultraviolet light in sunlight contributes to the problem. The sunburst models probably wouldn't show that as much, if it happens at all.

I am 6'3" (I don't know what that translates into in meters) but it is a little small for sitting comfortably and playing; it tends to make my back hurt. So I tend to use that one with a strap whether standing or sitting when playing it. The GB10 is very comfortable to play standing. The pick ups on mine are very hot. Mine are alnico and I think the more recent ones have ceramic magnets and are even a bit hotter. I play that instrument with the volume knob typically on about five, which also helps with getting a really nice jazz sound, and the tone knob to taste. I would say that it sounds more modern than my 17 inch carved top with a floating Charlie Christian style pick up.

Maybe we can get Big Mike to do a photo layout of all of his various GB instruments. I think he must have one of every variant ever made and one-offs as well (including one or two of George's own instruments).

User Info Menu

I wonder if you can do more modern stuff with very slight overdrive and a few effects, a bit Scofield like crossover jazz/funk/r&b/fusion with the Gb10?
    I read a few times the Gb10 is very versatile
    Can it make an all round gig (without fuzzy distortion of course)?