The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

I haven't tried halwounds since probably 1999 or so, I have a Comins GCS-1 and when i bought it, it had .13 rounds, sounded great but was a little heavy for me, i tried .13 flats and it sounded even better but was too much tension still... so after using some roundwound .12s for a couple months, I decided to try flats to get just in between the two... I must say that the feel is a little weird, like it fights just a little bit, but softer than rounds... hard to get used to the feel in the first couple days, but the tone is just wonderful, soft and warm with great fundamental tone and a tiny hint of bite...
    I'm really happy I tried them again, because they work wonderfully on this guitar... I keep thinking of changing the pickups, but i'm not sure if i'll need too... anybody tried seth lovers on on of these?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Whenever I've tried halfwounds I always conclude that I like them less than either flats or rounds.

User Info Menu

I tried the D'addies when they first came out. I was coming at it as a flatwound user and the 13 gauge set's E and A strings were too close to roundwound for me. Lighter gauge may have been a different story, but I haven't given them a second look. Back to flats for me, for good.

User Info Menu

I use Half Rounds and Brite Flats. Half Rounds tend to be less expensive and have a smoother feel IMO.

I wipe each wound string down about 4-5 stokes with fine sandpaper before stringing them. Then I put a StewMac fretboard protector under the strings and and just the exposed surface of the strings a little bit. The strings feel smooth then and don't squeak.

Johnny Smith used to sand down his strings also, so I've read.

The strings sound brighter than flats and sustain more.

The choice of pickup will affect the sound, of course.

User Info Menu

I have a GCS-ES1 and I'm pretty sure Bill ships them out with roundwound 11s. When I got mine I switched to 11 half rounds. I just didn't get on with them as I wanted so I switched to 11 Chromes and they work for me on that guitar. I go with heavier gauge on my two fatter boxes (165 and H-550). The GCS guitars are nice.

User Info Menu

does anyone other than daddario make half rounds?

User Info Menu

Pyramid also makes them. They sell them as “Polished”.

Btw what do people think of double wounds? The only two I can think of are Newtone and Thomastik Infeld’s Bebops. I like both but Newtone Archtop have become my favorite strings for electric archtops.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fantomaz
    does anyone other than daddario make half rounds?
    LaBella makes a pressed wound Roller wound, which I use as my primary string these days. Not as harsh sounding on the break in, it gives the good overtone response that comes from round wounds and a uniformity of the outer wrap that comes from not grinding away, but actually rolling the outer winding to take the edge off.
    To my ear and feel, it's warmer than the D'Addarios; but responsive and long lasting.
    David
    Last edited by TH; 05-14-2019 at 09:19 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TruthHertz
    LaBella makes a pressed wound, which I use as my primary string these days. Not as harsh sounding on the break in, it gives the good overtone response that comes from round wounds and a uniformity of the outer wrap that comes from not grinding away, but actually rolling the outer winding to take the edge off.
    To my ear and feel, it's warmer than the D'Addarios; but responsive and long lasting.
    David
    Do they squeak?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    Do they squeak?
    Nope. And at times I use Fret Ease and shifts are smooth as glass. But my ideal is for a quiet classical timbre with real clarity in inner voicing movement. I play with dyads and sparse voicings so it's important for me to have strings that are warm, immediate and clear. I also play fingerstyle so be aware that strings and qualities and characters of strings are not for everyone. The Labellas are quiet even on long shifts up the fingerboard.

David

User Info Menu

I use and like GHS Brite Flats and D'Addario Half Rounds. The BFs grace several of my electrics; the HRs are on the Dobro and give my slide just enough grip and help minimize squeak for my fingerpicking. I recommend both.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    I use Half Rounds and Brite Flats. Half Rounds tend to be less expensive and have a smoother feel IMO.

I wipe each wound string down about 4-5 stokes with fine sandpaper before stringing them. Then I put a StewMac fretboard protector under the strings and and just the exposed surface of the strings a little bit. The strings feel smooth then and don't squeak.

Johnny Smith used to sand down his strings also, so I've read.

The strings sound brighter than flats and sustain more.

The choice of pickup will affect the sound, of course.
    I do much the same thing but I run them through with 0000 grade steel wool a few times before stringing them. They are almost as smooth as flats. Tomastik JS112's are my first choice however.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by helios
    I do much the same thing but I run them through with 0000 grade steel wool a few times before stringing them. They are almost as smooth as flats. Tomastik JS112's are my first choice however.
    Do the strings still ring out after you have steel wooled them? Sound change?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny

It doesn't seem to affect the sound much at all. The advantage of round wounds is that they have nodes between the wraps, unlike flat wounds. These nodes reduce the string mass and allow higher frequencies.

I focus on smoothing out the "exposed" surface of the strings by sanding the strings after they are on the guitar. This maintains the maximum string mass by not shaving off the undersurface, yet it smooths the surface my fingers glide on.

Someone with better ears may think there is a difference in tone by sanding a portion of the string. What I notice is that there are no squeaks and the strings sound more like round wounds.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    I don't notice a change, but I only run them 3-4 times through the 0000 steel wool. They have a weird almost sticky texture if you do nothing at all (which eventually disappears with continued playing).

i preferred the .13 chromes for tone, but .13s are a lot for my fingers

User Info Menu

i've tried the d'addario halfrounds several times but it seems like their process leaves sharp edges on the ribbons which wear out my pick quicker than roundwounds.

User Info Menu

Worst strings I've ever used. Best of no worlds. Actually made playing unenjoyable.

User Info Menu

The old adage, "one man's meat is another man's poison", can be applied in spades regarding guitar string types. If I said what I think of a certain oft-praised brand, some would think me insane, so I'm keeping it to myself.

So, if you like them, keep them, they're fine for you.