The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15
    Be gentle with me, guitar is long down the list of instruments I play ... and badly.

I have an Epiphone Byrdland and love the scale length but wonder if I could benefit from a bit more room across the fretboard after having played some guitars with more space. This one has 1 11/16 nut width and 2" string spacing at the bridge. There is a little bit of room to play with at the edges of the fretboard so was thinking to replace the nut (luthier!). What about the bridge? Any ideas?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I do not think it is good idea to change nut and bridge...Byrdland is short scale instrument-special guitar.
    I had Epi Byrdland few years ago...I/ve sold it...it was nice but it was to small for me.
    Last edited by kris; 05-08-2019 at 04:11 AM.

User Info Menu

If the instrument can accomodate wider string spacing without compromising playability, and your playing style prefers wider spacing, then go for it - these changes are 100% reversible.
    The instrument is not a collector's piece and is meant to be played. Talk it through with your luthier before finalising any work.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ray175
    If the instrument can accomodate wider string spacing without compromising playability, and your playing style prefers wider spacing, then go for it - these changes are 100% reversible.
    The instrument is not a collector's piece and is meant to be played. Talk it through with your luthier before finalising any work.
    Agreed. Save the original nut and bridge in the case, as a buyer if sold in future may want to reverse the change.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kris
    I do not think it is good idea to change nut and bridge...Byrdland is short scale instrument-special guitar.
    I had Epi Byrdland few years ago...I/ve sold it...it was nice but it was to small for me.
    I tend to agree with kris -- If the Epi Byrdland isn't quite what you want, why not sell it and get the guitar you want? The Epi will be less desirable to potential buyers if you start making these mods to it.

Just my opinion, of course.

User Info Menu

If you like the Byrdland short scale in an archtop format, there's not much else out there, so trying this mod on your guitar is worthwhile.

You'd want a good luthier/tech to look at the overall geometry involved...you certainly might be able to get more spacing at the nut-- the bridge depends on whether or not going wider will taper the outside strings too close to the fretboard edge as you move towards the higher frets.

User Info Menu

Widening the distance from string-to-string at the bridge may also compromise the pickup balance somewhat. Having a new nut made for the top of the neck is an easy solution as long as you save the old one. In fact, having a bridge created with wider spacing also won't compromise the integrity of the guitar, these are easily replaceable parts. I have widened fingerboards and nuts and bridges to convert several guitars to 7-string, but these are permanent changes, thus resale value is nil unless someone wants a modified 7-string.

Thanks for the air everyone. I wouldn't want to do anything to the gtr that was irreversible but I figure nut and bridge is OK.

I like the scale length and the thinline body. Sound is fantastic and playability is very good - not so narrow as to be impossible, I just think wider would be better. As is, it plays like butter, really outstanding.

Any other recommendations for thinline hollowbody, short scale preferable and maybe wide nut? I found the Fretking Elise JE as a potential option.

User Info Menu

I'm in the camp of "If it's a vintage guitar, don't make any irreversible modifications", but...what you propose is easily reversible.

Hypothetical; You started this thread with...

"My Byrdland is buzzing like a mother...the slots in the nut are wore out and the strings are almost sitting on the first fret. Oh, and the TOM seems to have flattened out so it's radius no longer matches the fingerboard...."

Everyone would be telling you to replace the nut and what TOM to use to fix it.

Go replace your nut and bridge and set the string spacing where you want it, and keep the originals in the case pocket. Have the nut work done by someone competent and it can go right back on if needed someday.

My $.04 (tax incl.)

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good advice all, thanks.

I've not done anything like this before but thought I might start with the bridge is it's completely non-invasive. Any ideas what bridge to go for?

User Info Menu

I bought a new Epiphone Elitist Byrdland a few years back.
    I, too, wanted additional nut and bridge spacing.
    After much research and futsing about with various options, which now reside in my guitar parts drawer, I concluded that it was not feasible.
    I sold the guitar.
    Another reason I sold it was the distance between the pickups impaired my picking right where I found the sweet spot.

Quote Originally Posted by bohemian46
    After much research and futsing about with various options, which now reside in my guitar parts drawer, I concluded that it was not feasible.
    Tell me more. Not enough space to play with on the edges of the fretboard?

User Info Menu

I finger pick. The spacing at the bridge was approx 2 inches and a scrid, not quite 2 1/16th".

Spacing the strings out at the nut (new nut) placed the strings too close to the edge of the fingerboard.

Simply not enough room for my fingers, that coupled with the pick-ups so close to each other was a deterrent to keep the guitar.

Too bad, I liked it otherwise.

A plectrum player may not face the same obstacles with the stock nut and bridge.

PS
    I went so far as to get a Gretsch "Space Control" bridge but that doesn't make the neck wider.

Maybe I should deal with it! It's such a great guitar and definitely not unplayable.

User Info Menu

Looking back, I would have kept it and learned to deal with the issues.. it was a fine guitar.

A friend owns 4 Gibson Byrdland models to include one of the original prototypes.

We both agreed the Elitist workmanship, fit, finish, playability and tone rivals (his Byrdlands have a variety of pick-ups from new) his Gibsons. This in spite of a pressed top vs the Gibson carved tops.

Leave it as is and give it a try.

Best of luck with it.