The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

Hey there,Are there any multi effects processors that can compete with the analog pedals industry?I've been using analog pedals (Boss OC3, EHX Pog, Plus Pedal, Loop, etc) But want so many more just to satisfy my GAS. As a travelling musician it's difficult to carry the weight of so many pedals too.Hence I am exploring multi effects processors and would like to know if there are any that sound (almost) as good as their analog counterparts? Even if they are closer, the factor of convenience (weight, size, portability) could help me.In the image attached, Kurt uses a processor that I'd like to know more about.Any ideas on the points mentioned above?
    Attached Images Attached Images Multi Effects Processor to replace guitar pedals-screenshot-2019-05-07-4-05-16-pm-png 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I dont have an answer for you, But for my self I would worry abot the MFX craping out and haveing no pedals at all at that point. and it is useually cheeper to replace one pedal than a MFX

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PrayaagB
    ...Are there any multi effects processors that can compete with the analog pedals industry?...
    Almost.

Closer and closer with every new upgrade of firmware, and every new device.

And with some tones, digital is better, in my opinion.

At this point, it's getting to be very difficult to distinguish analog vs digital in the mix.

These digital pedals go about processing tone MUCH DIFFERENTLY than analog designs, so in my opinion, they are NEVER going to sound THE SAME.

You should definitely try a good one, like Helix, Fractal AX8; there are others.

But DON'T make the mistake of getting rid of your pedals.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dickbanks
    But DON'T make the mistake of getting rid of your pedals.
    Well, I sold all my pedals and replaced them with a Line6 HX Stomp; I don't miss them at all.

The stomp packs tons of effects and amp/cab sims in a tiny box, allows IRs, it's just perfect for the traveling musician - and can complement a pedalboard nicely.

I either use the stomp sims or my amp, it covers all my needs. For the price you can't go wrong imho.

User Info Menu

Helix or Axe-fx are popular high end solutions for many. For me digital is a compromise, so I use a very cheap and compact Boss gt1. Had a pod xt before. But for sound quality, a few pedals plus an analog sansamp (blonde) works fine too, I've played countless shows that way.

User Info Menu

A decent MFX will get you 90% there in terms of tone. Your overdrive tones may be a bit disappointing - to you - when compared to a great analog pedal but the audience will not notice. MFX pedals are so damn convenient and that is what sold me. I recently had play two gigs in Western Canada. I was flown out there and all I did was have them rent me an old Peavey Bandit and A Telecaster for the gig.. Before I left home I loaded up my Boss ME25 with all the tones I needed. Took it as carry on luggage. Got to the gig, plugged her in and I was set to go. 6 sets of extremely varied music and I could cover it all. A key thing is to really spend time work with the MFX unit and you will get good tones out of them.

User Info Menu

I like the Boss ME80. It sounds fine for what I do. I've never compared to a comparable group of individual pedals, though.

The ME80 does not have menus. Everything is controlled with knobs. There are some limitations, but they don't bother me.

User Info Menu

adding a small tube preamp really will tame the digital sound of a multi-effects pedal. ART and dbx make inexpensive tube pres, no bigger than a stomp box, and as far as reliability goes, one can get a "spare" used Digitech RP-55 for $40. Even carrying the spare and a tub preamp is lots easier than a pedalboard. Getting deep into the digital layers is worthwhile as well, there's a lot of tone available with some tweaking.

User Info Menu

I just held a Boss GT-1 at GC. It's about half the size of a laptop. 12" x 6" x 2". Presumably has the usual Boss sounds. $199 and hard to get a discount. Anybody have one? Like it?

User Info Menu

Multi FX boxes are convenient. They do not cure GAS.

User Info Menu

Not the OP’s topic or reason of post, but holy Yamaha SGs, Batman!!! I just played a 3 hour gig with my 1978 Yamaha SG. Brilliant guitars. I had to drive so I drank a few diet cokes. Too much caffeine so here I am drinking a beer at 4:30am. Tired but wired. Carry on...

User Info Menu

For many years I used a Korg AG1500 in live situations. Pretty simple to set up and if you set your patches up in the right order, very easy to switch between them in mid-song. Amp and cab simulation was "ok". Two "weak" areas were heavy metal distortion (not my style so no problem) and a compressor that was quite "breathy" (solved when I bought a Princeton Recordong with excellent on-board compressor). Most of the effects to me 80% of the way to the particular sounds I wanted in live situations, and it was so much easier to transport that a pedalboard.
    For home I still use pedals, bu I occasionally plug in the Korg and have fun seeing what sounds I can get out of it.

User Info Menu

I had two: a Digitech RP360XP and briefly a Boss GT-100. Both would be what is considered medium MFX pedals.

The Boss I returned to GC after about a week. I used the four cable method to tie match it up with my SuperSonic 22. I devoted all my free to the thing for that week, but the tone just sounded synthetic.

I owned the Digitech for a bit over a year. It sounded about the same as the Boss, but had a smaller footprint and as it cost about half of the Boss I felt almost justified keeping it. Never satisfied with the tone I traded it in.

I sometimes toy with the idea of going Helix LT or the Headrush Pedalboard, but parting with a grand is just not in the cards right now. If I had the money, the Headrush’s greater looper capabilities has some appeal.

User Info Menu

Since 1996 I have used a Boss ME8. I believe the distortions are analogue and the rest digital. I'm on my 3rd one because the in and out jacks can be a problem if roughly treated. The latest is now on a board and angle jacks help. It's a great unit. Bought a GT5 as an upgrade some years back. That's a great unit but I've never got round to programming it for my gigs.

User Info Menu

I personally like individually pedals (they're making a lot of mini sized pedals now too), but multi fx are nice if you're wanting a lot of different sound options. I've heard a lot of good things about the Eventide H9.

User Info Menu

I've sold mine and am using the Headrush pedalboard (and I'll get the smaller gigboard at some point). I've used the Headrush now on oh, 6-7 studio dates and I don't know how many live shows. I can't hear the difference myself, and all gigs have been extremely painless and I sound just about the same every time. Never a repeat of getting a ratty AC30

I'm using the Headrush into a totally okay small PA system on this rehearsal tape.

We were practicing one of my tunes, inspired by early Yellowjackets stuff. I was trying to emulate my favorite overdrive and amp combination; Wampler Euphoria + DV mark jazz 12 - this was the rig I used to use. Skip to 2:35 if you want to hear the guitar solo and the sound in focus. Forgive my enthused hollering, love playing with these guys!!

Sorry that I don't have any "straight jazz" recordings of it, I'll try and remedy that!

I think all the "big name" multi FX stuff sounds on-par. I was shocked when I heard the CE-2 emulation in my buddy's Axe FX - that's the moment that made me curious about these units, cause I -was using- a 1982 CE-2 at the time, thinking no modeller would ever create a comparable chorus effect. I went with the Headrush cause it's a third the price and has a touch screen and intuitive layout. However, you probably don't need a big hog like Headrush, Axe FX, or even Helix, if you intend on using an amplifier. The boss boards will do you just fine, or maybe a Helix HX Effects.

I think the most important factor aside from quality should be how the intuitive the unit is - time spent from idea to execution - because it should be a tool for your creativity and performance.

Now, when it comes to your attached picture:
    He's using a Mastermind GT-10 midi controller for what I'm assuming is an Axe FX unit off-camera.

...an educated guess on the Axe FX, because he's used a bigger Mastermind controller for an Axe FX before:

The digital future is definitely coming. I remember relucantly getting my first smart phone in 2012-13 after my nokia flip phone died, and now, 5 years later, I could never live without a smart phone. Something to think about